OSPF Reliable Conditional Default Routing

hi,

in WB v5 AT, topic "OSPF Reliable Conditional Default Routing"

one thing I did not understand is this:

ip route 169.254.0.1 255.255.255.255 Null0 track 1

the configuration is on R8, IP 169.254.0.1 is not assigned to any router as I saw in initial config.

the static entry means, drop any packet destined to 169.254.0.1, keep this entry in routing table if track object state is OK.

the track object is used to track R10 vlan 108 IP, so whats the point here ??

Comments

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Hi Oudmaster,

These questions should be placed under the workbook heading for workbook v5.   The thread becomes a great resource for those who have the same question later.

If you take a look at the past workbook and this version, several threads can be found on this same question.  

But we need to rebuild the CCIEv5 workbook sub-forms.  We need a new archive of questions/answers built so they can be used by future candidates.

NOTE: for anyone doing CCIEv5 workbook, if a search is done for the topic headings, there are a lot of solid gold threads from ALUMNI that have left the forum after getting their CCIE.  Really good conversations about each technology. They are archived under the previous CCIEv4 workbook-I (and some in wb-2).

EDIT:  or the INE moderator(s) can move the topics to the correct sub-forum for v5.

answer:  the static entry can say whatever it wants to say.  We are not using it for routing, we are using it as a "PLACEHOLDER".

The big question for the route-map is does the ip address (prefix-list) exist in the RIB (regardless if it is used for anything or goes to null).

The keyword is in the prefix name given.  PLACEHOLDER

What is the point?   Origami default-route strategy.  ;-)    

Try to understand the logic to HOW it is working, and it will help to learn the power of each component: prefix-list/route-map/sla/default-route.