ipv6 router eigrp VS router eigrp + address-family ipv6

I am confused, what are the differences between these two?

Cisco doc for EIGRP IPv6 is using "ipv6 router eigrp" 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/113267-eigrp-ipv6-00.html

But if you look at INEv5 Foundation Lab 2 8.1 for EIGRP IPv6, it is using "router eigrp + address-family ipv6" 

http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook/task/ccie-r-s-v5-foundation-lab-2-solutions-Mjc3MA==

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• I guess one is old-style ipv6 eigrp, the other is multi-AF Named Mode

• right - basically just like ipv4 eigrp, they're two different CLI formats for the same protocol - having said that you get certain things with the named/address family mode like wide metrics, a more logical grouping for commands - (no more split horizon or md authentication on the interfaces - it goes under the address family)

And I believe there are some advanced route tag options that may only be available in named mode as well as SHA authentication which is only available in named mode - watching the EIGRP named mode video for ipv4 will give you the skinny on ipv6 as they are essentially configured the same except for the addressing

• Hi,

Initially you had "router eigrp" command for IPv4, when cisco added EIGRP support for IPv6, they added "ipv6 router eigrp" command, both of htse being EIGRP classic-mode; and finnaly now we have EIGRP named mode, which is multi-AF aware and you have all EIGRP configurations (IPv4/IPv6, VRF and non-VRF mode) under one container. Also EIGRP named mode adds several changes to metric computation, support several features which are not supported in classic-mode, and this is what you should be using from now on in production networks, as all new features added to EIGRP will bbe supported only in named mode; for example if you want to run EIGRP for IPv6 in VRF, you HAVE to use named mode.

Regards,

Cristian.