TSHOOT Time Constraint Issues

Ok people, I realize that if one had 24 hours to pass the tshoot and config, we'd have millions of CCIEs by now, but lately I've been feeling completely out of my league.

When I would casually take practice tshoot labs (such as INE's), I could complete several tickets in a sitting.  Ever since restricing myself to 10 minutes per ticket, I find myself getting absolutely NONE.  I feel like I get close on some, but never complete any.  As opposed to the past when I didn't do the time restriction and completed 4 for sure and almost/maybe 3 more.

Should I stay the course?  Should I go back to casual practice for awhile?  I'm about 6 weeks away from my real lab date and only feel very good about the config section.

Comments

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Stay on course. Refine your debug/show (TS) commands.

I am the same way sometimes with the new labs.   I think the INE labs are more difficult than the real lab -- trickier.

Keep on practicing and thinking about your methodology.  Make it as close to second nature as possible.  You look at a given technology, and give the proper commands -- efficient and direct to the problem.

If you watch the older INE TS videos, one thing that I noticed, was that BrianM breaks the technologies down like leggos.  The videos are almost the same as technology-learning videos --- but with the proper debug/show commands.

The real TS lab is not easy, but it isn't tricky either.  You either know the technologies or you don't.   At least, that is how I saw it.

Good Luck!

EDIT:    yes, it is good to work with the clock.   That was a mistake of mine (not timing myself until too late in practice).  Looking around too much (trying to learn).  Don't think about learning -- think about solving -- and moving on to the next ticket.

There is a sports analogy to this.   Practice like you are going to play, otherwise you will play exactly like you practice (relaxed slow vs pressured high-end).

• Will just correct your math [;)] 

If its 10 tickets and 2.5 hours then you have 15 minutes per ticket.

cisco added extra 30 minutes which could mean tickets are harder then before (lab v4). So, u have about 18 minutes per ticket.

• Will just correct your math Wink 

Indeed there are 2.5 hours if you borrow half an hour from config section. Which, believe me, you will not want to end up trying to implement that monstruosity in only 5 hours.

From my experience, advisable would be that one have the troubleshooting finished in max two hours. Basically, the goal is to save as much time as possible for the config.

Gabriel

• Agreed!  [Y]

Will just correct your math Wink 

Indeed there are 2.5 hours if you borrow half an hour from config section. Which, believe me, you will not want to end up trying to implement that monstruosity in only 5 hours.

From my experience, advisable would be that one have the troubleshooting finished in max two hours. Basically, the goal is to save as much time as possible for the config.

Gabriel

• Yeah I'm trying to avoid spending 15 minutes on a ticket so I can have that 30 minutes for config verification later, but I gotta do what I gotta do.  I'll try 15 minutes in my practice labs for a few weeks then cut down to 10.  Maybe that will help me.  I just know 5 mins. was insane, and 10 minutes was slightly better.