Good Practice or A Waste of Valuable Time

Hi All,

There are a number of commands and configuration options, which are often not explicitly required but may be implied or are considered good practice. Sometimes I find it difficult to choose whether to configure them or not, so I thought it would be interesting to get other peoples views.

Below is my list - I think I know the answer to some of them but I would be interested in your views. Also, let me know if you have any similar commands. 

OSPF Router-ID
OSPF Redistribution - Metric Type 2
EIGRP Router-ID
EIGRP No Autosummary
BGP Router-ID
RIP Version 2
RIP No Autosummary
ACL Remark
Interface Description
Allowed VLANs on a Trunk
Frame Relay Map Statement to Router's Own Interface
Frame Relay Map Statement Broadcast Keyword (If not explicitly required by IGP or Multicast)

Cheers

Stephen

Comments

• I configure the following unless explicitly told not to:

YES:
    OSPF Router-ID
    EIGRP No Autosummary
    RIP Version 2
    RIP No Autosummary
    Frame Relay Map Statement Broadcast Keyword (If not explicitly required by IGP or Multicast)

NO:
    EIGRP Router-ID
    BGP Router-ID
    ACL Remark
    Interface Description
    Allowed VLANs on a Trunk

• I think

EIGRP No Autosummary

RIP Version 2

RIP No Autosummary

are must, unless otherwise specified. Another annoying command is switchport nonegotiate.

Only once I encountred hidden need to modify BGP Router-ID due to the tricky redistribution.
  • Expert Best Practices always have the reason and can be categorised as per requirement for e.g. CCIE LAB exam & Live Production Networks. For me following are the best practices;  
    Mandatory
    =======
    OSPF Router-ID
    RIP Version 2
    RIP No Autosummary

Voluntary
    =======
    BGP Router-ID
    ACL Remark
    Interface Description
    Allowed VLANs on a Trunk

As & When Needed
    =============
    EIGRP Router-ID
    EIGRP No Autosummary

-WBC

• Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone who responded, there seems to be a concensus around OSPF Router-ID, RIP V2 and RIP No Auto. It just demonstrates how subjective some of the configuration can be. Here is my own personal list.

Yes

OSPF Router-ID
    EIGRP No Autosummary
    RIP Version 2
    RIP No Autosummary

No

EIGRP Router-ID
    BGP Router-ID
    ACL Remark
    Interface Description
    Allowed VLANs on a Trunk

Cheers

Stephen

• I'd agree with your list there stephen.. I'd include the frame-relay map to own interface simply so that when you run your reachability TCL script, it's all hits. Otherwise interpritation is involved.. I've only come to this conclusion recently, but I think it does decrease the chance of missing problems..

NTllect - just out of curiosity why did you need to change the BGP router-id? It's an area I've never really understood :-)

Cheers

Dan

• Dan, you can research it on yourself by digging into lab 13 from vol. II.