xRV in GNS3, how to get 2 xRV devices to talk to each other

All,

Having issues getting 2 xRV devices to communicate with each other in GNS3.  I can get one in the architecture, and it will talk to all of ther other types of devices, but not to another xRV.  I can get CDP to work in one direction but not in the other, and ICMP or the protocols will not work between the two devices.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing and if so how did you correct it?

Thanks!

-Warjack

Comments

• There is a bug in the old GNS version. Which version do you use? Think two work around a available:

change the the network card type in virtual box or ping the other device, do not stop the xrv, remove cables in GNS and add cables back in GNS.

• XRV is a Cisco Operating System (microkernel) used on devices like the CRS Routers. 

you run set it up in Virtual box and map it into GNS3...it is part of the CCIE SP track..

nice AF based configuration and uses a commit model...

• All,

Having issues getting 2 xRV devices to communicate with each other in GNS3.  I can get one in the architecture, and it will talk to all of ther other types of devices, but not to another xRV.  I can get CDP to work in one direction but not in the other, and ICMP or the protocols will not work between the two devices.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing and if so how did you correct it?

Thanks!

-Warjack

So again, everyone, I am not having problems talking from a GNS3 device (7200,3800) to an xRV.  That works....however, when I go xRV to xRV I cannot get it to work...

Thoughts?

-Warjack

• as far as I know GNS supports IOS routers 7200, 3726, 3600, 2600,1700.  your XRV is some kind special hardware emulation? did you look af new gns forum?

the new version of GNS3 supports both IOU and xRV virtual machines. The two VMs I have do not talk to each other. 

• Yes, for service provider...I have a workaround, it's not a huge deal, but it's not how it's supposed to work.  I can't do several of the labs that require 2 XR routers to talk to each other.

-Warjack

• how did you setup your lab? the XRVs are running in Virtual-Box or VMWare? 

In Case its VMWare both VMs will communicate directly via VMWare Workstation or Player..

• I'm assuming that you've got things working well enough.  If not, what version of gns3 are you running, and how are you running XRv?  I've been using XRv in the INE SP topology for ages - since 0.8.7 - and I have working topologies in both .net and .gns3 files.  However, I use virtualbox to run the XRv images.