Clarifications needed regarding thow to use the R&S v5 work books and the old R&S v4 workboo

Hi guys

I finally get the time to get back to studying, I stopped shortly before the v5 change was made official. I am now rebuilding my lab and I am looking over the new workbooks and I have to confess that I am lost.

First of all, regarding the number of full scale labs:

-These are substantially decreased in numbers compared with v4. Is this section still under reviewing or construction to say so? 

-these labs used to use the same topology as the technology lab. Did that change?

-there is references in the workbook to the R&Sv4 topology and workbooks. From what I coud read in the  Overview the entire v5 is still in Beta. Does this mean that we have to cable our labs for both versions ? 

-with the current availability of various network emulators (VIRL, GNS3 and ..others) it is increasingly easy to reconfigure a lab but there still are physical devices involved (Switches most of the times) Since building the lab is taking be important time right now I am trying to save time and I am trying not to read the entire new work book to see if the apprach has changed in regards to lab topologies. Before it was "one to rule them all" but now that is gone and apparently there is a topology for technology labs (still quite identical with the one for R&S v4) and quite different topologies for the other sections of the labs

Since the number of full scale labs is very limited (2 so far) I can not conclude that there is a standard topology for that. Do you guys at INE plan to create the around the same number of full scale labs as for v4 ? If that is the the case do you plan to have a skeleton topology with slight variations froma full scale lab to the other? If yes could you make that skeleton public? 

-what are your recommendations for someone who will have to start practicing on full scale labs, does he have to prepare in paralel on the old v4. labs and on the new v labs ? 

Here are some questions regarding particular elements of the topologies:

-what happened with the BackBone routers, I do not see them in the new topologies anymore

-why was the number of switch to switch links reduced from three to two and why do we have a loop topology for switches vs any to any before ?

A couple of suggestions: 

-for those who are building the lab I think it would be usefull to have a PDF file with all the topologies that are used (physical and logical) so they can plan ahead withouth having to try to find their ways through the many chapters of these books

-the 2000 and something pages PDF will greatly benefit it bookmarks can be created when the PDF is generated

-more clarity in regards to the strategy that one should follow when building his lab. Withouth reading all the introductory paragraph of theeach of the so many chapters of these workbooks it is almost imposible to understand how one will reconfigure his lab for each task.

I am still trying to understand how I will reconfigure my switches since most of the technology labs config files have only Router config files

thansk and advance for any clarifications

Cristian

Comments

• I think that it is mentioned in the overview that some sections are not completely developed and for that reason the reader is asked to refer to v4

Currently the CCIE R&S v5 Workbook is in a state of change between our CCIE R&S v4 Topology and CCIE R&S v5 Topology. Tasks that are still formatted for the v4 topology are listed as (pending update) in the table of contents. When working on these tasks please reference the CCIE R&S v4 Topology Diagrams and Initial Configurations. If you are renting rack time from INE to configure these tasks you should use the following scheduler on the Rack Rentals Dashboard:

• Hi Martin

What are the grounds of your recommendation.?

• Not really the answer to my question but let's discuss that for now. In the mean time I am collecting the answers to my own questions, the info is scattered around here on many posts fromt the INE guys

So back to your topic: why GNS3 and not Web-IOU ? Are there any inconvenients why one would preffer to run GNS3 vs Web-IOU? (I am talking about web-iou in native mode not in a virtual machine )