RIPv2 Reliable Conditional Default Routing

Greetings,

I'm working on this lab and having trouble wrapping my head around the concept. Why the static route to a bogus network?

I miss be missing something but cant get it.

Any suggestions for study materials on this?

Thank you in advance!

Debbie

Comments

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Why the static route to a bogus network?

Maybe think of it as a place-holder.   It is a "dummy route".  

In order to understand the idea for this particular solution, it is necessary to break it down into blocks.

1.  RIP Processs conditionally advertises a default route (based on a route-map)

2.  Route-Map  is good (true) if there is a match to a specific routing-table entry (identified by a prefix-list).

3.  The RIB entry will exist via a conditional static route.

4.  The Static Route (for the RIB) is dependent on tracking an SLA (true).

5.  The SLA pings BB3.

• Hi, 

Just to clarify something. Route-maps only work/are (true) only if a route is installed in the RIB?   

Thanks

V/R 

Paul 

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

In this scenario, in order for the address/prefix MATCH to be true, it must exist in the RIB. If the MATCH exists, then the default route will be created (originate).

But route-maps can be used for many things, including matching incoming route updates or attributes (and/or setting attributes).

• Thank you very much JoeM. 

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Glad that it helped.   As I remember the workbook progession, there is a lot of practice with route-maps in the BGP section.  Soon it will become 2nd nature.

• I can't wrap my head around why this approach doesn't function as expected:

R1#show run | s track|rip|sla|route-map

track 1 ip sla 1

router rip

version 2

network 150.1.0.0

network 155.1.0.0

default-information originate route-map RM_R7_VL7

no auto-summary

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 155.1.7.7

frequency 5

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

route-map RM_R7_VL7 permit 10

match track  1

R1#

This is on CSR1000v running 03.13.02.S

The track object is working correctly. When i shutdown the interface with the IP 155.1.7.7, the track state goes from UP --> Down. The route-map seems to support using a track object in a match statement. However the router advertises a default route no matter the track object state. 

I'm assuming this is a bug. Or is that an invalid use of a match in a route-map?

• Generally, the syntax is 

match ----- prefix

set --------- interface.

I'm not sure other matches are supported.

• For me it is the other way around

Regardless of whether 155.1.7.7 is reachable or not, there will be no default route sent.

Oli

• For me it is the other way around

Regardless of whether 155.1.7.7 is reachable or not, there will be no default route sent.

Oli

• aha, I see.  Have to learn about using the ieoc!

oli

• The problem you're facing is that your route-map is referencing the track object 1 which is wrong. The track object is meant to be referenced by a bogus route that'll act as a place holder in the route-map. For example you'll have:

ip route 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 null0 track 1

As long as the track is UP, the static route will be in the routing table. You'll then create a standard acl with matches the static route like:

ip access-list standard PLACEHOLDER permit 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255

Now the route-map that goes on the default-information command will reference the ACL

route-map CONDITION permit 10

match ip address PLACEHOLDER 

!

router rip

default-information originate route-map CONDITION

Regards

Mayowa