NPV/NPIV on same device

Dear forum members,

in our production environment we want to carry fcoe traffic from UCS over N5Ks to some MDS directors.

We have FIs running in EHM and MDS in NPIV. Therefore we thought of enabling NPV on N5Ks (nested npv), but this didn't work out. Is it supported to enable NPV and NPIV on the same device?

Kind regards

Comments

• This is an excellent question and unfortunately I don’t have the answer. I find these nested NPIV/NPV scenarios very confusing.

Can you guys take a look to this diagram ?

http://ccie18473.net/nested-npv-npiv.jpg

And explain what is exactly nested NPIV and nested NPV, which are supported, etc ?

My understanding is that the connections marked with green are working.

The connection between the FI and the 5K is not working. The links stuck in the initializing state.

Regarding the diagram:

1) a VM inside a ESX host that is running on a UCS B-Series Blade.

2) VM Ware assigns WWNs to the VM

3) the ESX host proxies the FLOGI from the VM and sends it upstream (NPIV and NPV functions)

4) the FI proxies the FLOGI and sends it upstream (NPIV and NPV functions)

5) the FLOGI is seen on the MDS (NPIV function)

The 5K running NPIV and NPV:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nexus5010# sh int fc2/1-8 brief | ex sfpA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interface  Vsan   Admin  Admin   Status          SFP    Oper  Oper   Port

Mode   Trunk                          Mode  Speed  Channel

Mode                                 (Gbps)

fc2/1      10     NP     off     up               swl    NP      4    --

fc2/5      10     F      off     init             swl    --           --

Nexus5010#

The connection to the MDS (fc2/1) comes up without issues

The connection to the FI (dc2/5) doesn’t come up.

Why is this happening ?

Another funny thing in when I shut the fc2/1 port on the 5K, I see this change:

Nexus5010# sh int fc2/1-8 brief

Interface  Vsan   Admin  Admin   Status          SFP    Oper  Oper   Port

fc2/1      10     NP     off     down             swl    --           --

fc2/5      10     F      off     npmExtLinkDown   swl   

Nexus5010#

Nexus5010# sh int fc2/5

fc2/5 is down (NPV upstream port not available)

(…)

What does this mean ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (RS/SP)
    [email protected]

http://www.ccie18473.net

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (RS/SP/DC)
    [email protected]

• FI running EHM in fact is considered Nested NPV, i.e it runs NPV on northbound to MDS and taking multiple logins (FLOGIs) from southbound servers. 

Nested NPV can only go one level, meaning that if you enabed it on your network somewhere else, it won't work, since you have FIs that already running some sort of nested design.

In fact, FI is enabled to run both NPV and NPIV feature at the same time ( EHM) . 

You may try to do northbound FCoE from your FI, if you are running version 2.1+ 

HTH

• Nizami,

Please clarify what does nested NPV on UCS means. Why do we call it nested ? The FI is running both npiv and npv, I don’t see why this is called nested NPV.

What I saw in some tests I made is that I’m not able to connect the FI to a 5K running npiv and npv. This is what I see:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UCS-A(nxos)# sh int fc2/5-6 brief

Interface  Vsan   Admin  Admin   Status          SFP    Oper  Oper   Port

fc2/5      10     NP     off     init             swl    --           --

fc2/6      20     NP     off     init             swl    --           --

UCS-A(nxos)#

Nexus5010(config-if)# sh int fc2/5-6 brief

Interface  Vsan   Admin  Admin   Status          SFP    Oper  Oper   Port

fc2/5      10     F      off     init             swl    --           --

fc2/6      20     F      off     init             swl   

Nexus5010(config-if)#

Thanks.

Regards,

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Antonio, 

so once you connect your FI to Chassis and declare server ports, you might have multiple logins on that ports (F-ports). 
    for example your blade might have multiple HBA .  

So this is why you need to have NPIV enabled on FI to allow multiple logins on the same physical port.

That's why this is somehow nested NPV/NPIV device.

It won't work if you connect it to northbound switch that is running both NPV/NPIV features at the same time.

HTH

• <!>

Nizami,

So if I understood it well, the expression “nested npv” only means a device running both npv and npiv. Is this correct ?

Maybe this is exactly the same as “nested npiv”, at least the documentation says this:

“NPV supports NPIV-capable module servers. This capability is called nested NPIV.”

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/npv.html#wp1482567

Thanks.

Regards,

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Hello guys,

From the scenario, is it conclusive that the N5K cannot be in NPV/NPIV mode. If that is the case, how will the N5K be configured and VSANs will flow from the UCS to the MDS? Just curious.

Niyi

• hyieochyieoc
    edited July 18

There is a lot of confusion regarding the terms NPIV and NPV, and nested NPIV.
    1. NPIV is a feature that allows a host to send FDISC messages. When enabled on a host, it causes the host to send FDISC messages on its upstream ports to a switch. When enabled on a switch, it causes the switch to accept FDISC messages, on its downstream-facing (F) ports. When you enable NPIV on a switch, you are causing that switch to accept FDISC messages on its F ports.
    2. NPV is a mode that a switch can be in, where the switch will (in some regards, mostly upstream) act like a host. This is why it's also called End-Host Mode. This behavior includes sending FDISC messages upstream, as a host would. In other words, the "upstream" NPIV behavior is automatically included as part of NPV mode. This is why the switch located upstream from this one must have NPIV enabled on the F ports.
    3. The switch that is in NPV mode may or may not need to enable NPIV on the down-facing F ports. It has nothing to do with the NPV mode, and is needed if the downstream hosts have NPIV enabled and need to send FDISC messages.
    4. If you do have a switch in NPV mode with NPIV also enabled (which operates on the F ports), then this is sometimes called "Nested NPIV," because the switch is using NPIV upstream (included in NPV mode) and also downstream (enabled with the NPIV command). On Cisco switches, this so-called "nested" NPIV, is pretty-much always allowed, because NPIV is pretty much always allowed, assuming there are no license issues. If it's not working, it requires troubleshooting.
    5. The term "nested NPV" is often just a mistyping of "nested NPIV." To actually do nested NPV would mean two NPV switches back-to-back (or "daisy chained"), and from all the Cisco docs I have seen, this is not allowed.
    6. UCS Note: If a UCS domain has SAN/FC End-Host Mode enabled on the FIs, that is the same things as NPV, which means that the switch upstream from these FIs must have NPIV enabled; and it must not have NPV enabled, because that would be back-to-back NPV.