My LAB CRASHED DURING MY CCIE EXAM

Hi guys, I had taken my exam on 24th OCT 2014 and during my exam there was power outage and all the PC got rebooted with all other candidated and Proctor struggled 2 hours to make the lab back online but my lab portal was not  opening and again he struggled to make my lab portal open, and he succeeded to bring back me my lab portal but my all results were messed up and the also the router session was messed up , opening R7 making R8 to open , i called Proctor to check and after spending 10 more minutes he told me sorry he cant do anything this is hardware failuer   and i cannot no more longer sit in teh lab and  can leave the exam room , and if i didnt get satisfactory result i may can open the case with cisco . Although i have completed my whole lab and had save each of my topics but they send me failed result. now i had opened my case with cisco and let C what they will do with me . any one can give me suggestions.

Comments

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Don't panic, open a case with Cisco, and they'll give you a coupon to retake the lab. It's a royal pain, but something that they acknowledge in the policies, and something you do have to be ready to accept in rare circumstances.  The same would apply if bad weather keeps staff/candidates from getting to the lab in the morning - if there's more than a two-hour delay, they force a reschedule.

• sorry to hear that; better luck next time!

• Thank you for the support , i had one friend and recently he passed the CCIE-SP , his story is like that he got failed result on the first and then he opened to the case with cisco as he was not satisfied with his result and he was pretty much confedent of his lab exam and after 3 weeks Cisco declared him pass. Can cisco do the reread of my lab also as i had completed my whole lab before the crash 

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

I'd look at the situation from a 'negotiation' perspective. You're supposed to get eight hours to do the lab. Minor issues could mean that you'd have to stay a little "late" to get your eight hours, but Cisco won't make the proctor stay more than 10.5 hours or whatever, so if you end up with two hours lost to hardware issues and no resolution yet, the proctor chose to pull the plug because he couldn't (or shouldn't, or wouldn't) be able to give you your eight hours allotment. Since you didn't get your eight hours, you should negotiate to get that on a free retake.

Now, if you ask for a re-read first, and find that you missed the cutoff, it won't "look good" if you then ask for a free retake because you didn't have enough time. Ask for the free retake because of hardware issues, and if Cisco wants to offer a re-read "as a courtesy before setting up the retake", let them, as long as they're agreeing to the retake.

• My concern would be if it didn't save properly, there's nothing for them to reread.  A reread won't help for you if the configs aren't still there somewhere for the person grading it

• Dear,

Thank you for the reply, I had got reply for CISCO and they are offering me the free retake of the exam but they are saying retake policy will apply on me , Like this was my second attempt and if i book again as free retake i have to wait 90 days .

I replied them again that this was not my fault why should i have to wait 90 days . now waiting for there reply .

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Cisco's retake policy exists (I think) so they can prevent candidates from seeing the same "exam booklet" twice, while also not having to create a lot of different labs all the time. If you've seen two labs, the 90-day wait gives them a chance to cycle through and deploy a new lab that you haven't seen before.

Over the span of about 10 years (and realistically two separate groups of attempts), I took the lab 10 times before passing. I'll say that I certainly saw fewer than 10 unique exams in those 10 attempts. Did I benefit from seeing the same exam twice? Perhaps. Did I "punish" others by occupying so many lab seats in a short time? Possibly. So although "painful", I'm actually a fan of the retake policy (except that I think it needs a certain 'reset' if you've been away from the lab long enough).

• I agree, 90 days for retake is to make chances of getting the same lab lower.

Now with Lab going all virtual, I think there will be more places to take lab. right?

• it is good that you have a free retak, this way the first attempt is like a mock lab

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

I agree "was not my fault why should i have to wait 90 days"

it is not fair for new exam policy to be apply here; such lab take should  not count in total attemps per user.

Like I said before, Cisco probably only has X number of valid exams to choose from at any given point. Allowing someone to retake too quickly means they get to retake an exam they've seen before. Allowing someone to retake an exam they've seen before means they could have studied THAT TEST, and a subsequent pass demonstrates excellent memorization and deep recitation skills, NOT excellent network expertise. In other words, someone who passes on a repeat attempt of the same exam is getting an easy ride, and may not possess the same level of skill as someone who can pass an exam they've never seen before.

I've seen the same exam more than once, and I've seen more than one exam more than once. I suspect Cisco analyzed the records and discovered some trends across people who had multiple trips to the lab with multiple attempts on the "same" exam, whereby the pass rate shot up significantly on the second viewing of the same test. I suspect the exam retake policy is a direct byproduct of that analysis.

[Or...perhaps I'm just the one who identifies the trends before they become trends. For 2+ years, I've preached that any candidate should go home from a failed attempt and study the exam they saw until they could pass it "cold", as it's silly to attempt an exam that one hasn't seen if one can't pass an exam that one HAS seen. Perhaps Cisco took this to heart, and created the retake policy because of that. The same thing happened a few years ago, after I pointed out that one could pass the written exam to recertify just before their "expiration" date, then return a few days later just after their "expiration" date and add an additional two years onto their cert, essentially making it so that recertification attempts could be spaced 3.99 years apart. Now, passing the written for recertification purposes only counts once every six months.]

• A free re-take isn't free unless you're one of the rare folks who don't have associated travel expenses when sitting for the lab. I'd be irate. Hopefully, this is extremely rare.