Anyone else through the advanced tech labs and trying to figure out where to go next?

First off, I'm not complaining :)

I finished the labs about a week ago and have since started trying to find my areas that could use some improvement.   I honestly don't want to touch the v4 foundation labs..but might not have an option if I want to keep progressing.

Just curious who all else is in this boat, and what are you doing to keep yourself busy?

Comments

• I was thinking about this today and came across your post. I started last week and currently making some adjustments to my study plan so I can finish the advanced tech labs by Christmas. The thing is I don't want to stop until I get my number and I am worried that INE won't have the v5 material available quick enough.

Is there a timeline for when the new v5 volumes are going to be released?

One thing you could try is to go back to the advanced tech lab and randonly pick 10 labs per day. I would be doing that if I am in your boat.

• same here ... i really need ful scale labs, mock labs and so on... 

• Doing the v4 foundation labs won't be a waste of time if you've just gone through the tech labs, most of the content is still relevant. You can skip the frame relay stuff if you like, just copy it in from the answer guide if you aren't familiar with it. You will probably want to supplement it with some DMVPN labs. I'd suggest labbing up each routing protocol for phase 1,2 and 3 and making sure you know what tweaks are required for each.

Alternately go back to the start of the tech labs and see how much you remember, and start to play around a bit with some of the scenarios rather than going straight for the answer

• A-G, I agree.

I'm currently allocating 2 months to re-review weak areas in the adv technologies.  That being said....it is pretty boring.  I did a large-scale, multi-hour MPLS lab on GNS3vault and it felt amazing.  I did about 8-9 hours yesterday of some of the same stuff I've already done.  Did I learn something?  Absolutely.  The problem is that it is hard to stay motivated when its the same stuff over and over.  The fun part about large labs is that it makes you think more.  

I'm just anxious that I'll stagnat while waiting on the larger v5 labs.  

• I'm definitely in the same boat you are. I've been getting quite upset that there have been no updates to the workbooks for several months. INE has had no problem publishing all sorts of new courses and emailing me about them every other day, though. My lab date is November 10. At this point I will be surprised if there are any updates to the workbooks before then.

I started by taking the INE blueprint and making my own notes on each technology. I labbed up several different things just to get a feel for them. I'd do the same when people on the forums had issues with certain technologies. I started a separate document on specific technologies that I felt I wasn't as comfortable with so I can spend a bit more time on them.

It's getting difficult to stay motivated, though. It's hard to learn certain things without someone else developing scenarios to test you on them. I can lab up a technology but I already know what I'm trying to accomplish ahead of time. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it isn't.

Fortunately, my employer is going to send me to a bootcamp in a few weeks. I hope that will expose any remaining gaps I have.

• Agree. I don't undrtstand the silence. it's hurting INE, I know I feel badly let down and wont purchase again.

• Also agree. We're legions on the same boat than you. I'm lucky in comparison in terms that my next lab attempt is planned for April next year, so I still have time. But at the moment I've been forced to use some other vendor's resources to at least get some v5 full scale labs.

I cannot be going around the same three or four routers scenarios for DMVPN specific labs for six months or just sit and wait for the full scale labs.

There's a bunch of people that, like myself, we took our first lab attempt shortly before the new blueprint took over, and we failed. So no point for me to go through all the AT Labs in the v5 WB, just the technologies that make the difference between both versions. It's not that much. After that, we seriously need full scale labs and TS labs to get used to the interaction of the technologies in the new scenarios. We could use the v4 labs replacing F/R with DMVPN, but that's a poor solution, even as a temporary solution.

As you told, INE took the time and resources to launch a complete set of new training videos (they are continuously bombing my and the social networks on this, and I'm only missing some cooking training among them) so I cannot understand the lack of progress on v5 WB. More concerning is the silence about estimated times of release.

In some other thread a forum user stated that INE staff advanced him that the update date was now delayed to 1st of October, and that updates were going to be "soon" posted on the INE's blog. No posts in INE's blog again. And 1st of October is tomorrow. Hopefully there will be something tomorrow, but I've been for almost ten months reading that "soon" or "in the very next weeks" or "already coming" there would be new contents in the WB which never happened. So at the moment I give credit=0 to those statementents. I wish I'm wrong and tomorrow we have some news.

We're getting to ten months since the official announcement of v5 blueprint was done. At this time, even the technologies labs aren't fully updated. There's no excuse for this, and as a customer I'm very upset.

•  I did a large-scale, multi-hour MPLS lab on GNS3vault and it felt amazing.

Which MPLS lab on GNS3vault was that?

•  I did a large-scale, multi-hour MPLS lab on GNS3vault and it felt amazing.

Which MPLS lab on GNS3vault was that?

http://gns3vault.com/mpls/advanced-mpls-vpn/

It's a very fun lab. Most of our study group went through it last weekend. 

• I'm very frustrated by this too - I've taken 6 months off work to study for this full time. Finished the technology labs a while ago, I need to be doing full length labs every day but despite V5 being live for 4 months there are no full length or troubleshooting labs from INE

I'm tried to be patient but am on the verge of asking for my money back and switching to another provider, which I'd rather not do but INE is not giving me what I need at the moment.

Cisco360 have 10 full length config and troubleshooting labs (20 in total) and they are designed for IOL/IOU

For now I'm going to adapt the V4 foundation labs - replace the frame relay with DMVPN. There's still plenty of useful content in the V4 stuff

If anyone from INE is listening can we have some updates please [H]

• What theyll probably do is a massive release to shut us up. We've been waiting for full scale labs. I dont know about the rest of you but im using the troubleshooting topologies available via google searches and frankensteining labs together. Testing every feature. I will probably buy the cisco 360 labs just so i can take a lab that i didnt design. The 20 vol 2 labs have also been helpful. Hopefully INE can shift their recent push of new material to get their flagship product updated. We can only hope. 

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

-------- Original message --------
    Date:10/03/2014 1:44 AM (GMT-06:00)
    Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] Anyone else through the advanced tech labs and trying to figure out where to go next?

I'm very frustrated by this too - I've taken 6 months off work to study for this full time. Finished the technology labs a while ago, I need to be doing full length labs every day but despite V5 being live for 4 months there are no full length or troubleshooting labs from INE

I'm tried to be patient but am on the verge of asking for my money back and switching to another provider, which I'd rather not do but INE is not giving me what I need at the moment.

Cisco360 have 10 full length config and troubleshooting labs (20 in total) and they are designed for IOL/IOU

For now I'm going to adapt the V4 foundation labs - replace the frame relay with DMVPN. There's still plenty of useful content in the V4 stuff

If anyone from INE is listening can we have some updates please Cool

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• What theyll probably do is a massive release to shut us up. We've been waiting for full scale labs. I dont know about the rest of you but im using the troubleshooting topologies available via google searches and frankensteining labs together. Testing every feature. I will probably buy the cisco 360 labs just so i can take a lab that i didnt design. The 20 vol 2 labs have also been helpful. Hopefully INE can shift their recent push of new material to get their flagship product updated. We can only hope. 

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

Well, I think they have two options basically. Starting from the point that even though everybody is massively asking INE for ETA, they are not able to provide one, I assume the task is not mature enough for them to answer those customer requirements. So the options would be:

1. Massive release ASAP. They would need to rush through the different scenarios, so probably the WB would be plenty of typos and errors, thus devaluating it. I don't think it is an option. It would damage their image even more than it already is.

2.Progressive release. That would clearly indicate the materials are being developed since recent dates, and no work was done on it before, which would be maybe embarrassing. But at least that would appease the customers' anger by providing them a continuous flow of materials which would be probably more depurated and reliable. I think that would be the best option.

At this time I'm using the cisco 360 labs so at least I can progress on my studies. Just did 3 CFG and 3 TS labs at the moment, but I'm happy with them.

• Did Cisco 360 labs have no Frame Relay and pure v5 requirements? I ask because the pdf on Cisco still has v4 with Frame. 

I am seriously considering on spending more cash on labbing with 360.

I also have v5 workbooks from IP*expert and they are worse. No solutions for the tasks and no 8 hr lab with solutions. IP*expert forums have the same status quo with ticked off customers waiting on the development team. 

• Ok, so I understand it has been a while since Cisco announced the version change, but who else has massive amounts of the material out?

The fact that there is only Vol 1 of the Official Guide out at this point, and it is just focused on the written, should be an indicator that the industry is taking a good bit of time to produce the new matterial.  Most of the blueprint is the same as v4, so you should be good with the older material for now.  INE has 4 v4 workbooks, work through them and make sure you know the subject matter very well.  Keep in mind we are talking about a big change in how the test is given, with config going virtual as well.  Just the logistics of the huge variety of topologies possible should let you know this is not a simple undertaking.

FYi - even Micronics only has 1 workbook out at this time and they are an authorised Cisco 360 Learning Partner.

• Did Cisco 360 labs have no Frame Relay and pure v5 requirements? I ask because the pdf on Cisco still has v4 with Frame. 

I am seriously considering on spending more cash on labbing with 360.

I also have v5 workbooks from IP*expert and they are worse. No solutions for the tasks and no 8 hr lab with solutions. IP*expert forums have the same status quo with ticked off customers waiting on the development team. 

No, there's no F/R on Cisco360 v5 labs, they have v5 requirements.

• I was lucky enough to try one 360 lab for free. Sorry Cisco, but I wouldn't spend any money for it. Although the lab was indicated as "Intermediate to Advanced", it was VERY easy compared to my real v4 lab, which I failed. The topology was small (if I remember correctly, 4 switches and 6 routers, so the same as v4 topology). P.S: there was no frame relay in it, just DMVPN.

• what about Full-Scale Practice Labs? those are out; as far as I know there will not be Vol II III IV as they were in v4.

• I was just runging though v4 vol2 labs up until the first full scale lab was  released and then I did that. I also used some CLCs through work and purchase 20 Cisco 360 v5 labs which I will start after my bootcamp in a few weeks. 

Until them I am circling back and running through weak areas to prep for the bootcamp.

Ive heard nothing but good on the 360 labs and just from glancing through them they seem to be pretty good.