To INE: ETA on the Full Scale Labs?

Dear INE,

I am sure you are all aware that the new Full Scale Labs (and Troubleshooting Labs, and Foundation Labs) for the CCIE R&S version 5 is something that a lot of people in the middle/final stages of their CCIE studies are waiting for. And, have been waiting for since several months ago.

My question is, why hasn't there been any updates from INE on this topic? This is making a lot of people quite frustrated. I'm sure you have good reasons for this delay, but it would be so much better to have some information and clear estimates for when they will be available. The uncertainty, and hope/anticipation that these Full Scale/Mock Practice Labs will appear sometime "soon" (but nobody knows _when_), is making it challenging to create a good study-plan.

So, all I'm saying is that some updated information regarding the Full Labs (and TS and Foundation) would be nice - even if the reality is they are still several weeks/months away. If that's the case, then fine, as long as we know that - and can plan the studies accordingly.

Best regards

Comments

• I agree. Why no public announcement as to progress? It just frustrates everyone. I read in some other thread that someone in Cust Svc had said something was releasing Oct 1st, but there's nothing on the blog or official announcement that I can see, yet if you read various posts on the forums, there are claims made as to the additional workbooks being ready soon, and those posts are from several months ago.

At one level we can use v4 labs, but I'm pretty sure nobody wants to be dicking around configuring/troubleshooting frame relay instead of dmvpn. And it's a pain to maintain two topologies. Since I've started using the CSR1000v I have no desire to go back to dynamips and the weird issues I'd occasionally run into, not knowing whether it was the config or a dynamips bug... Plus the cabling is different, making going back and forth a real chore.

Please give us something official.

• Not something official (there have been hundreds of official promises and announcements). I would like to be given something believable at this stage.

• Even some System Management and IP Services topics are in the "Pending Update" state. I am sure most people wait for these updates and new Foundation, TS and Full Labs. But no information or announcement. I am also desperate for Mock Labs.

There should be an official announcement.

• We're not going to be doing graded mock lab.  There will be more full scale labs included in the upcoming online Lab Cram Session the first week of June.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

There are 3 of TS, Full scale, Foundation labs now. isn't that enough?

just noticed post is old, from last year.

MarinL, You are joking right?      When is 3 labs enough for preparation?    v4-workbook-II  had 20 labs by itself. 

@INE, please keep the labs coming.  I really enjoy the INE approach, which is much more difficult than the real lab (I think). ;-)

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

EDIT:  just giving you a bad time Martin.
    There are never too many labs.    Three labs is a good start for the best CCIE training curriculum out there.  Don't stop them by saying it is "enough".   Good Enough are the words of comfort for mediocrity.  (I think I got that from the Collin's book "Good to Great")

• for now 3 labs of each should be ok.

Consider that "for now" means one year that the exam is out (miss just one month to the birthday) and only 3 full scale labs have been released.

I agree that foundation labs can also be used to improve speed but work on full scale labs is fundamental for the lab.

• kehagenkehagen ✭✭

In reference to lab cram session:

I would like to attend but have to work during the day.  Will there be any options for people to watch it after hours?

Ken Hagen
    CCIE #56460

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

"just giving you a bad time "   I think wording is hard time Angry

hee hee hee  YES.  That is okay too.  "just giving you a bad time" is the same as givng a hard time. idiomatic expression [8-|]

A much better answer than your first question.  Like you said, this is a thread from last year.  It is an okay question to ask.

But since you are representing INE on this subject, can you give more information please?  Thanks for your great customer service.  [:P]

• Any news about new full scale labs?

• I am a little curious - but I will live -

I got my membership this month not really realizing there had been 20 of the dynamips foundation labs in v4 - I am not complaining because we get what we get when we sign up and I had no expectations of more - but since I am trying to use the "how to pass the ccie" v4 blueprint, those individual v2 labs are fundamental to that track - I guess I could always dynamips it

more specifically, I am wondering what I couuld or would have to do to leverage my csr1000v and 3560 lab topology to use the v4 labs - maybe that would be a more productive and useful thread than just griping about the v5 availability, esp. for core topics which haven't changed from v4 to v5

this is something I will consider at a more reasonable hour - even by Anchorage standards, it is too stinkin late :)

FWIW my coworker just failed his 2nd attempt, and he did fine on configuration - it was troubleshooting that got him

rb

• The main change is that Frame Relay was removed, as well as Serial interfaces.  You can swap Frame Relay out for DMVPN and Serial interfaces for p2p Ethernet, and you can do 100% of the other topics that are in the v4 workbook.

• and I'm cool with that - I am still struggling with the virtual to physical conversions in my head - I just have to stop thinking in terms of virtual topologies but I suspect the env. can be duplicated as we did it before - with ethernet sub interfaces going to SVI's on the switches themselves like they do in the foundation lab.

oof da

RB

• so is anyone using the old V4 labs and changing the frame-relay to dmvpn and so forth?   I'm struggling with the exact way to pull off the cabling requirements of routers to switches in the virtual environment we've created.  Seems like there should be an easy way to convert that V4 to V5 topology using the csr1000V+Physical switch configuration - I think my problem is I just think too physically literal.

I guess one choice I have is to use the old IOU_Web v21 VM, which has an INE V4 IOUWEB topology - have to rename files, but at least then the 20 labs would be available - I'd still like to not do frame-relay though....:)

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I contacted INE about doing a workbook conversion for the INE CCIEv4 vol-2 workbook (maybe vol-4 also). 

For me, it is still a little bit of a mystery as to the roadmap for the v5 program.  Is it complete?  What should be our expectations for each track? We have been told to be patient because basically fine-wine-takes-time.  But finally, I had to go outside of INE to get more labs.  Time was passing me by. I could not wait for an unknown.

Honestly, I think that it is a shame to just dump all  of the INE CCIEv4 practice labs. Someone(s) did a lot of excellent work building those.

But I am not sure if INE wants everyone to just go build their own conversions, or if there is a roadmap to convert them officially.  It must be frustrating for any vendor to put so much effort into build labs, and then the pirates just give it (and the workbooks/videos) out to everyone. Takers, not givers.   @everyone, PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR FAVORITE VENDOR by buying from them. Tell your friends to use INE.

With that said...

IOU labs can be converted. There is also a legacy GNS3 package for vol-2 of the labs (routergods/relativitydrive).  This GNS3 package was very popular before the introduction of IOU into the wild.    

** The topology conversion is necessary. FR-Switch removed

** different DMVPN scenarios need to be created (for the actual lab practice).

And eventually, a lot of the tasks will need to be adjusted (add/remove) to put more focus on the official v5 checklist. This is just me thinking out-loud about releveraging an awesome INE tool that currently looks like an orphan.  ;-)

• I was thinking the same way - as well as tailoring the tasks to fit the new CSR1000V topology which is one switch connection as opposed to the more complex cabling topology of the V4 track. -

the great thing about IOU-Web is they basically were able to NETMAP that stuff - but again, you're spending a lot of time on stuff that may not be on the track anymore, and DMVPN is much more important than relearning Frame Relay - (I used to use it and ATM more than I do now - god bless MPLS)

And I agree about the frustration of materials getting out on the web - I went as far as I could on the free stuff before buying my subscripton, but - these are guys with a business - you don't screw over people running a business because you can share logins or because their videos are on Bittorrent - Plus there are so many other videos on stuff I'm interested in - (the Nexus platforms, for example in the Data Center tracks) - that to me it's like a perfect two year library

• I noticed this week a couple of mock labs appear to be available - that's always good right before going in 

rb

• no, I noticed the same thing last week - the pdf was missing and just an HTML option but I also see where the "pending update" stuff is gone as well from the online one - the online workbook appears to have had some updates recently that the guys haven't taken credit for yet :)

• As it appears to me they just removed all the "pending update" topics.
    Or are the DHCP-labs, GLBP-labs etc replaced to a new location?

I thought removing technology was not allowed in the lab? ;)

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 5:31 AM, whiskeytown <[email protected]> wrote:

no, I noticed the same thing last week - the pdf was missing and just an HTML option but I also see where the "pending update" stuff is gone as well from the online one - the online workbook appears to have had some updates recently that the guys haven't taken credit for yet :)

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Dear Brian,

+ 1 to the request, we need more labs for the hands on.

any updates by when we can have more full scale labs ?

Cheers

Hitesh

• Yes,

I second this request. We need more Mock Labs, ETA?

Thanks,

• Due to unavailability of new labs.. I'm unable to use tokens for rack.. This is not a good return on investment for workbook.

@Brian.. Please comment.

On Sep 30, 2015 10:44 PM, "jdomfang" <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes,

I second this request. We need more Mock Labs, ETA?

Thanks,

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • We definetly need more fullscale, troubleshooting and mock labs in v5 workbook. Thank you in advance.

• Also we need more Advanced Technology Labs. Some topics such as DHCP are missing in the workbook.

• Reading this is dissapointing. I bought INE which is not cheap intead of other vendors and it turn out it is having troubles with full labs....bad stuff.  

• what are your particular problems?  what gear do  u use for doing labs?  I loaded full labs and have no issues.  in fact, comparing to other vendors, I found wb very well written and error free.

I am not having troubles with the labs themselves, I use INE's rack rental, the deal is that there are too few full scale labs and mock labs ready for V5 and converting V4 labs to V5 can be time consuming.  

There are 20 V4 full scale labs and only 3 V5 full scale labs as well as only 2 mock labs for V5. I will start doing these labs until January 2016, I hope there are more when I get o that point. 

• what are your particular problems?  what gear do  u use for doing labs?  I loaded full labs and have no issues.  in fact, comparing to other vendors, I found wb very well written and error free.

Hi Martin,

1- Other vendors have at least 4 or 5 mock labs in their workbook.

2- Some CCIE v5 lab topics were in "Pending Update" status once. They were updated to invisibility.