Home Wiring

Hi guys,

I'm working on wiring my house and I've run into a problem when cabling down the inside of my exterior facing wall in the kitchen (it's the wall that faces the garden).  I'm trying to run a cable from the ground floor to the 1st floor. Basically there is a steel channel at the ceiling of the ground floor behind the plasterboard/drywall that is stopping me fishing a cable rod up through the ceiling.  Has anyone run into this problem?  How do you get around it?

Cheers,

Steve

Comments

• Have fun with a drill!  Exterior walls are never fun as they usually present all sorts of issues.

• Have you heard of powerline adaptors? They allow you to stretch your ethernet network to those hard to reach spots using the electrical wiring at your house. I've been using them for years now at my home.

Here are some 2014 reviews:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

• This could be a fire-stop that is designed to prevent/slow the spread of fire from one floor to another through the walls.

One possible solution would be to run weather-tight conduit out the exterior wall near the ceiling, and then back into the wall above the barrier.

Hi guys,

I'm working on wiring my house and I've run into a problem when cabling down the inside of my exterior facing wall in the kitchen (it's the wall that faces the garden).  I'm trying to run a cable from the ground floor to the 1st floor. Basically there is a steel channel at the ceiling of the ground floor behind the plasterboard/drywall that is stopping me fishing a cable rod up through the ceiling.  Has anyone run into this problem?  How do you get around it?

Cheers,

Steve