CCIE study scenarios

Hi everyone

I work for an ISP for 13 years. I occupied various positions from UNIX expert to Network Engineer (mainly DC technologies).

At the moment, I work as an Infrastructure Architect for contact center solutions dealing with various concerns like network, OS, system virtualization, storage/backup...

I am CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA, JNCIS-SEC, VCP and EMCISA certified.

I have now the opportunity to sign a new contract with another ISP as a Core Backbone Network Engineer.

As I wanted to study for CCIE R&S, my question is:

What is the best scenario for me to study:

1) Stay with my current ISP, working 20% of my time on network technologies at work BUT 5min walk from home (so a lot more time to study at home)

2) Sign for the other ISP, working 100% of my time on network technologies at work BUT 1h from home (so less study time)

Thank you for your suggestions, thoughts or experience.

Comments

• Hi,

I would go with the 2nd one, but the choice of course is yours ;-)

• I would say go with the second option. The 1 hour less study time would be compensated with the experience gained from working with networking technologies. Its also depends on the direction your want to take in the future.

• I would say the second as well. There were technologies that I knew about and studied but until I moved into a position that actually used those protocols and technologies it hadn't 'clicked' yet. Once things 'clicked' it feels like 10 hours of studying a protocol is matched by 1 hour of learning it for the job.

• Option 2, i would use the 1 hour walk/drive/train to read or listen podcast/courses.. [:D]

• Well I gues I will be the odd ball then.  You have 13 years with your current employer.  This is not something to easily throw away.  The 2 main things to consider are

1) Money - which job pays better - keep in mind the cost of travel for the new job

2) The difference between the satisfaction of where your are at now and the unknown of how things will go at the new job.

Study for the CCIE R&S is going to take a lot of personal time no matter which job you take.  Sure you might learn more on the new job, but then again you might only learn certain areas that have a lot to do with the CCIE R&S blueprint and most of the time be doing more mundane things like monitoring the network and following scripts to make changes.  I suggest if you really want your CCIE, then stay where you are.  This is a known situation and you can feel comfortable with your plan on how to obtain your CCIE.  The new job will require a lot of time learning the new job, the tech and non tech areas.  This makes it much harder to focus on the study time for your CCIE.

• I would go upstairs to the hole where you want to install the jack and drill down through the steel channel with a long bit.  You can get  a 1 foot ¼ inch bit, or you can get up to a 6’ flexible bit to drill inside a wall.   I’d be careful not to drill through other wires though.  J.

Ken

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of hkeeter
    Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 12:01 PM
    To: Hagen, Ken
    Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] CCIE study scenarios

Well I gues I will be the odd ball then.  You have 13 years with your current employer.  This is not something to easily throw away.  The 2 main things to consider are

1) Money - which job pays better - keep in mind the cost of travel for the new job

2) The difference between the satisfaction of where your are at now and the unknown of how things will go at the new job.

Study for the CCIE R&S is going to take a lot of personal time no matter which job you take.  Sure you might learn more on the new job, but then again you might only learn certain areas that have a lot to do with the CCIE R&S blueprint and most of the time be doing more mundane things like monitoring the network and following scripts to make changes.  I suggest if you really want your CCIE, then stay where you are.  This is a known situation and you can feel comfortable with your plan on how to obtain your CCIE.  The new job will require a lot of time learning the new job, the tech and non tech areas.  This makes it much harder to focus on the study time for your CCIE.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

Ken Hagen
    CCIE #56460

• Option 2 sounds a lot more beneficial to your CCIE studies. Also you could use that 1 hour commute to listen to ATC videos. 

• I second hkeeter opinion.

Benefits of leave days can be significant to your study.

Also, with 13 years in that company means you do not have to spend more time troubleshooting / checking job procedures, instead, using those valuable time to study (assuming you are allowed to study in your workplace)

• depends of your family situation as well 

The ball is your and you have to take decision 

If you take option 2 this may delay your study a little bit , but once you get used to with your work and habits you will be fine