CSR1000v License expired - How to supress log message

One of my CSR1000v's has run its evaluation license and it has now expired.

Everything is still working (which is a good) and I assume the throughput has dropped to 2.5Mbs

How do I supress this log message?

Not major but a bit annoying.

%LICENSE-1-EXPIRED: License for feature prem_eval 1.0 has expired 2 days and 14 hours ago

Roger

Comments

• Hello Roger,

I ran across a post by soulja back on 7/21, on how to keep the eval license going, in case you are interested in doing that

Hey Guys,

I don't know if it has already been mentioned in the thread or not,
    but talking to one of my VMWare guys, he says the trial license can be
    reset without having to reinstall VMWare every 60 days. The sample
    script he provided was this:

rm -r /etc/vmware/license.cfg
    cp /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg
    /etc/init.d/vpxa restart

If you google "reset trial licencse esxi" there are some other samples of script also.

Thanks

Mike

• Mike,

This is not the issue I am having.

My esxi is fine.

It is the eval license on the CSR1000v routers which have expired which is not a major problem as they continue to work with limited throughout which is fine for a lab, but you get an annoying license is expired log message every now and then

Roger

On 1 Aug 2014, at 06:29 pm, jmann12180 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Roger,

I ran across a post by soulja back on 7/21, on how to keep the eval license going, in case you are interested in doing that

Hey Guys,

I don't know if it has already been mentioned in the thread or not,
    but talking to one of my VMWare guys, he says the trial license can be
    reset without having to reinstall VMWare every 60 days. The sample
    script he provided was this:

rm -r /etc/vmware/license.cfg
    cp /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg
    /etc/init.d/vpxa restart

If you google "reset trial licencse esxi" there are some other samples of script also.

Thanks

Mike

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Right...you did say CSR1000v....reading is fundamental.  [:$]

• Remove that CSR100 instance from your inventory and import a fresh copy using the OVA file or create a fresh VM and install from the ISO file. 

Here is what I did thinking ahead...

CSR1000v Router files:

• I installed the CSR1000 into a bare VM (yes 20 of them) from the ISO file naming them R1 - 20
    • I then copied each of the 20 instances to a sub folder within the datastore.  You could just as easily copy them to a network share or a TFTP/FTP server.  Each VM I created was set for a 10 GB Disk...so you need ~200 GB of free space for the copies
    • All of this activity was prior to application of the Premium License to the CSR1000 instance.
    • I then applied the license and I am off and running...until the license expires
    • The .cfg files can be saved off to a TFTP server for recovery later after the license expires...ready to be copied back to flash from TFTP

ESXi

• When ESXi expires install over the existing installation
    • Reinstall ESXi into the same volume.  NOTE: Do not select to overwrite the datastor location
    • Copy fresh router files into the datastore (see above)
    • Add fresh copies to inventory
    • Copy .cfg files dor each router to router flash from TFTP
    • Apply CSR1000 license and off and running again

Seems like a lot of work but that is my 2 cents for a clean environment every 60 days.  Only a couple of hours effort when you really get down to it.  As it is said there is more than one way to skin a cat (figuratively).

• I don't know why everyone is concerned with creating new CSR's once the license expires the router continues to run but with a throughput of 2.5mbps

On 2 Aug 2014, at 03:00 am, frodoski <[email protected]> wrote:

Remove that CSR100 instance from your inventory and import a fresh copy using the OVA file or create a fresh VM and install from the ISO file. 

Here is what I did thinking ahead...

CSR1000v Router files:

• I installed the CSR1000 into a bare VM (yes 20 of them) from the ISO file naming them R1 - 20
    • I then copied each of the 20 instances to a sub folder within the datastore.  You could just as easily copy them to a network share or a TFTP/FTP server.  Each VM I created was set for a 10 GB Disk...so you need ~200 GB of free space for the copies
    • All of this activity was prior to application of the Premium License to the CSR1000 instance.
    • I then applied the license and I am off and running...until the license expires
    • The .cfg files can be saved off to a TFTP server for recovery later after the license expires...ready to be copied back to flash from TFTP

ESXi

• When ESXi expires install over the existing installation
    • Reinstall ESXi into the same volume.  NOTE: Do not select to overwrite the datastor location
    • Copy fresh router files into the datastore (see above)
    • Add fresh copies to inventory
    • Copy .cfg files dor each router to router flash from TFTP
    • Apply CSR1000 license and off and running again

Seems like a lot of work but that is my 2 cents for a clean environment every 60 days.  Only a couple of hours effort when you really get down to it.  As it is said there is more than one way to skin a cat (figuratively).

• Certain features depend on the license as well, like (iirc) vpls.  My solution has been to install, snapshot/clone, and run the clone with the test license enabled.  Your golden image can be recloned later on.

• The new CSR 3.13 image has a built in premium license that apparently does not expire. You are rate limited to 100 Kbps, which is perfect for labbing anyway. This seems to be the best option as you don't need to worry about the license expiring.

As for ESXi, you really dont need to re-install to reset the demo license! There are much simpler ways of doing this that consist of modifying a file on the file system and rebooting the box - done. If you look online you will see how its done =)

• Sweet - thanks for the heads up on the version refresh.

• With the older version if you reload the router after the licence expires you won't be able to use the preimum features. I found this out the hard way today!

I just re-installed all my with the new version no licence and it's limited to 100kbps with advanced features:

*May 31 13:25:45.189: %VXE_THROUGHPUT-6-LEVEL: Throughput level has been set to 100 kbps

vR7#      show dmvpn
    Legend: Attrb --> S - Static, D - Dynamic, I - Incomplete
            N - NATed, L - Local, X - No Socket

<snip>

Hopefully a better way going forward for labbing!

• Ahh, I rarely reboot my routers so hadn't seen this and one i did reboot DMVPN stopped working.

That is why, downloading the latest version now

Thanks

Roger

On 3 Aug 2014, at 09:10 pm, sudoxe <[email protected]> wrote:

With the older version if you reload the router after the licence expires you won't be able to use the preimum features. I found this out the hard way today!

I just re-installed all my with the new version no licence and it's limited to 100kbps with advanced features:

*May 31 13:25:45.189: %VXE_THROUGHPUT-6-LEVEL: Throughput level has been set to 100 kbps

vR7#      show dmvpn

<snip>

Hopfully a better way going forward for labbing!

• New version 3.13 is awesome it boots so much quicker and runs better and without the license this is the perfect labbing router!

One problem for me is the first two routers I have run up are using 3Gig     of ram each, whereas the .12 versions are running at 800k on average 

On 3 Aug 2014, at 09:10 pm, sudoxe <[email protected]> wrote:

With the older version if you reload the router after the licence expires you won't be able to use the preimum features. I found this out the hard way today!

vR7#      show dmvpn

<snip>

Hopfully a better way going forward for labbing!

• Hi Roger

Cisco say you have to license 3.13 from the portal NO EVAL out the box, have you tested all the features ?

If we need to license is cisco going to give us 20 Evals?

(Cisco IOS XE 3.13S and later) Evaluation licenses valid for 60 days are available at the Cisco Software Licensing (CSL) portal. The following evaluation licenses are available:

image AX technology package license with 50 Mbps maximum throughput

image APPX technology package license with higher throughput

You can use the license boot-level command to change to either the IPBase or Security package level for the evaluation license

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/release/notes/csr1000v_3Srn.html#pgfId-3048771

If everything is working then that's great.

• Just found some more information with regards to 3.13

So it would seem that we are good for all features @ 100k (I believe this was metioned before)

Installing Licenses on the Cisco CSR 1000V

The Cisco CSR 1000V boots in a limited mode that provides limited feature support and throughput limited. You must install the license using the license install command for the feature support and throughput settings to take effect. The following requirements apply to the license installation:

• Before the license is installed the maximum throughput is limited as follows:

image (Cisco IOS XE 3.13S and later): Throughput is limited to 100 Kbps

image (Cisco IOS XE 3.12S and earlier): Throughput is limited to 2.5 Gbps

• Depending on the release version and the installed license, you may need to reboot the Cisco CSR 1000V for the feature technology package and the supported maximum throughput to take effect.

image (Cisco IOS XE 3.13S and later) The Cisco CSR 1000V first boots up in the AX technology mode by default, so all features in this package are supported. Installing an AX technology license applies the AX license immediately, and the throughput is increased to the maximum throughput of the installed license. Rebooting the router is not required.

If you install a different technology license (IPBase, Security or APPX), the corresponding license boot level command setting is automatically added to the running configuration, but you must reboot the router for the new license technology level to take effect and to have the license applied.

image (Cisco IOS XE 3.12S and earlier) For first-time license installation, you must configure the license boot level command to obtain the feature technology package supported by the installed license. You must reboot the Cisco CSR 1000V for the settings to take effect.

image (All versions) If a license currently exists on the Cisco CSR 1000V and you install a new license, if the feature technology package or the maximum throughput of the new license differs from the existing license, you must enter the license boot level command and reboot the Cisco CSR 1000V for the settings of the new license to take effect.

For example, if you currently have an IPBase license installed, and you install a new AX license, you must configure the license boot level command to the “ax” setting and reboot the Cisco CSR 1000V for the new installed license setting to take effect.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/csr1000Vswcfg/licensing.html

• I am bumping this thread because I'm doing a reinstall of my cisco boxes on my lab to get to 15.4(3)

Do I HAVE to request an eval license?  Or are we still running the full AX feature set but on 100kbps -

(edit - nevermind - a closer read of the above post suggests that's teh case - I'll be testing shortly)

• You don't need the license anymore, it defaults to the demo one with low throughput.