Back to the Middle East...suggestions?

Hey guys,

I'm basically a stalker on this forum and I apologize. I've read through so much here and currently going through the v5 workbook volume 1, however, I have not been much of a contributer but I'm stuck and wondering if you guys can help. I've gone through the v5 build posts and think I have an idea but because of I've only been using rack rentals, I have never considered building a real lab but, I'm heading back to the middle east to work for DoD again and everywhere I have been, telnet has been disabled stopping me from using rack rentals. Sure, there are ways around it sometimes....maybe lol....but it's a lot of hassle and not worth it at all. My idea is to send a suped up box via mail to my final destination that can hold over 90 gigs of ram so that I can run the csrv1000's. I have switches that I will be sending myself to connect to the hypervisor but I really have no idea what box, processor, amount of ram, vendor etc that I should buy. I'm sorry and I realize this will be in other posts but I have a couple days left with my family and trying to enjoy every minute of it instead of scouring for the 'best' machine. I hope someone can help put me on the right track. Thank you in advance.

Jacob

Comments

• Hi,

The new rack rental provided by INE has a built-in "telnet" feature for opening sessions to the devices that you want. So basically you click on a button and that opens a session to the router but not on tcp port 23, so you don't have to worry if you don't have port 23 open. Also, you don't need a terminal program either, it's a putty like integrated software already in there for you. So you're one click away from studying if you choose rack rentals. 

Good luck !

On 26 Jul 2014, at 08:29, jacobwoodard25 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm basically a stalker on this forum and I apologize. I've read through so much here and currently going through the v5 workbook volume 1, however, I have not been much of a contributer but I'm stuck and wondering if you guys can help. I've gone through the v5 build posts and think I have an idea but because of I've only been using rack rentals, I have never considered building a real lab but, I'm heading back to the middle east to work for DoD again and everywhere I have been, telnet has been disabled stopping me from using rack rentals. Sure, there are ways around it sometimes....maybe lol....but it's a lot of hassle and not worth it at all. My idea is to send a suped up box via mail to my final destination that can hold over 90 gigs of ram so that I can run the csrv1000's. I have switches that I will be sending myself to connect to the hypervisor but I really have no idea what box, processor, amount of ram, vendor etc that I should buy. I'm sorry and I realize this will be in other posts but I have a couple days left with my family and trying to enjoy every minute of it instead of scouring for the 'best' machine. I hope someone can help put me on the right track. Thank you in advance.

Jacob

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Thank you, that is one solution to the problem. However, I feel it is necessary to not only study using securecrt for my work purposes, but also putty for the ccie r&s lab. If all else fails then this is a great option but I want it as real world and also 'lab-like' as possible. Also, I can't promise that CENTCOM doesn't have ine blocked all together. If something doesn't work properly, the hoops I have to go through to get approval is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I need a good capable box in case I can't do the above I just don't know the best options, vendor or motherboard.

• Try a cheap used box like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL160-G6-1U-2x-XEON-HEX-CORE-X5650-2-66GHz-4xTRAYS-36GB-DDR3/251388691772?_trksid=p2050601.c100261.m3456&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140716145242%26meid%3D8596127888394079474%26pid%3D100261%26prg%3D20140716145242%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D261385545913%26clkid%3D8596134365149829001&_qi=RTM1562570

Add hard drive or SSD of your choice and you are off to the races!  Load a copy of ESXi 5.5 using the eval version and use the CSR 1000v image available from Cisco.  I have a Dell box with dual Xeon 5620 Quad Core with 20 GB of RAM and it works fine with 10 CSR 1000v instances and a Win 8.1 box for Wireshark packet captures.  Small money against trying to build something.

• Thank you, this is definitely viable option. I'm a bit concerned with postage for something that size. APO has it's limits but it might not be an issue. What do you think of this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T7500-X5550-Quad-Core-2-66Ghz-96GB-2x-250GB-/281369938586?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4182f48a9a I could throw it in a gorilla box just fine with no shipping concerns.

• Memory is great...Processor kinda weak...you really need dual CPUs with the available CPU cores and hyper-threading to really make ESXi viable.  If weight is the concern then break it down...send the power supply and the hard drives separately.  The DL160 is still ligher than the workstation even in a fully fully loaded configuration at 34 lbs.  The T7500 workstation is a bruiser...to quote the Dell Service manual "...at least 55 lbs".  Don't get me wrong...Dell makes okay gear...but come on...how abpout a little more precise language in their documentation.

According to the APO web page (http://www.oconus.com/APOFPODPOShipping.aspx) that cites shipping restrictions for size and weight of parcels you are good up to 70 lbs. and a total combined meaurement of 130 inches.  So if you put the DL160 in a box 8" high x 22" wide x 32" long is still well under the restrictions.  Oh yeah...don't spare the foam and or the bubble wrap to protect the little beastie if you wantt it to arrive in one piece.

If it were my choice I would go for the DL160 or equal configuration.  And I have been giving these DL160 boxes a hard look for use at home.  It has good CPU (24 cores) resources, good memory with room to grow if you need it and a good raid controller to aid is disk subsystem performance.  To me the choice is black and white...with the DL160 as the winner.  Add a few more bucks for the new hard/SSD drives from a good reseller and you are ready to go at 60% of the cost for the Dell T7500 example and much better performance.

Sorry...I get a little passionate about performance when comes down to bang for the buck!  However the choice is yours to make.

Semper Fi Mac!

• I take it from the Semper Fi at the end that you were a Marine. You're in good company, I was a Marine as well. 2/1 Weapons Co 03-07 so a big Semper Fi back at you brother. As far as the specs, I truly appreciate the detailed response. I'm glad you responded before I clicked buy(I was very close lol). I'm going to check out the dl160 more and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for all your help.

• You would be correct...but I was a slimey "Air Winger".  I hope you won't hold that against me.  **grin**  Somebody has to watch out for you "Devil Pups".

VMO-1 1978-82...yeah ok...I'm an old fart...but still kicking.

Good hunting with your quest for the numbers.

• Lol.I don't care what you were, a Marine is a Marine. Yut, kill, let God sortem out, err, oorah, semper fi and any other Marine battle cry I didn't list. Thanks again for your help.