gns3 Topology without switches

Dear All,

I want to build GNS3 INE topology without using using any switches except using for interconnections via vlans for example one switch connecting all routers using dot1.q connections.

and i will use rack rentals for switching features.

my question is that if i use above approach then if i am using foundation labs for each technologies then i can practice switching independentaly using rack rentals

but if i need to start full lengths labs like vol.2 or 3 for v4 labs then how can i complete L3 tasks first and then use rack rentals to complete switching questions?

I hope my question is clear to all but if not please let me know

thanks and regards

Sourabh

Comments

• Hi,

It makes no sense to think that you can build layer3 before building layer2. 

For example, you need to enable OSPF between two devices that are connected through a switch. It means that, you may run into the case that you have to define subinterfaces, define vlan on the switch and so on.

Only after having full layer 2 reachability, you may enable layer 3 routing protocols and establish adjacencies.

Full scale labs, as opposed to technology focus labs, should be practiced and built on a full capabilities infrastructure, as you may  find INE rack rental platform.

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Jul 2014, at 10:52, sourabhd <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear All,

I want to build GNS3 INE topology without using using any switches except using for interconnections via vlans for example one switch connecting all routers using dot1.q connections.

and i will use rack rentals for switching features.

my question is that if i use above approach then if i am using foundation labs for each technologies then i can practice switching independentaly using rack rentals

but if i need to start full lengths labs like vol.2 or 3 for v4 labs then how can i complete L3 tasks first and then use rack rentals to complete switching questions?

I hope my question is clear to all but if not please let me know

thanks and regards

Sourabh

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Dear Sourabh

As you know GNS3 has quite a bit of SW functionality right now.Future expansion could provide even more.

If you use a rack for switching do it independently from a full lab,I mean complete what is possible to do with GNS3,minimum

layer 2 connectivity, and complete the lab. Then configure the SW features missing in a rental all SWs lab.If you have a

decent PC like mine with 4XCPU and 6RAM you can get 20 machines running.

I have 5SWs,one connecting to all Rs and to 1SW,and 10Rs.

More than 90% of the exam can be prepared with that.As Brian said you do not need Rs to practice switching,layer 3 equivalent 

can be created for that purpose in a all SWs lab.

I hope this help

• hello,

i am sorry but i did not understood your points.

I have already build like layer 2 ethernet switch in middle and all 20 routers will be connected to that one switch and assigned to different trunk ports and access ports for P2P connectivity

R1 to sw

R2 to sw

R3 to sw

R4 to sw

R5 to sw

R6 to sw

R20 to sw

like this i will able to ping point to point IPs.

Is this approach correct for layer 3 tasks?

how to complete switching tasks from foundation topics and full length of labs?

thanks and regards,

sourabh 

• Have a look at Foundation lab 1 diagram and followed it with GNS3 including the 4 extra Sws.

The layer 2 tasks that you can not do with GNS3 make a note and do them independently

on a Sw rack.The same central SW that is connected to the Rs will connect to one of the other SW

to extend layer 2 to them since they are interconnected with many trunks.Discover what GNS3 SWs

can do,it is quite a lot:vlans,trunking,etherchannel,spanning tree etc. for the rest Brian said

there will be a dedicated SWs lab to rent. 

• hey thanks for the reply :)

i understood that i can complete L3 foundations labs using GNS3 and switching through rack rentals

but how to complete all tasks from full lenght labs?