A-Vpls and traffic engineering

Hi all,

I have a requirement to configure a-vpls with TE. The Cisco docs show some examples but I'm not sure it is correct. The doc shows  static routes pointing out the TE tunnel where I expected to see the pseudowire reference the TE tunnel as a preferred path. Has anyone deployed this scenario? 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Can you point us to the Cisco link to take a look?

• Sorry about that Donthor. My original question was typed quickly on an Ipad so I left out alot of info.

Here is one link with no reference to the TE tunel in the Pseudowire or a static route. (Looks wrong)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/12_2sy/mp_12_2sy_book/mp_l2vpn_advvanced.pdf

Here is another using static routes to force traffic over the TE tunnel.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_l2_vpns/configuration/15-sy/mp-l2-vpns-15-sy-book/mp-l2vpn-adv-vpls.html#GUID-3A54A48F-FF52-4B05-952F-6251818C1DD7

My use case has Layer 3 and layer 2 VPN's and multicast and I haven't considered the impact of using static routes. I would be cleaner to use the pseudowire I think. I'm just not sure if it works.

Here is how I think it should look but I dont have any VPLS experience. I have worked on ATOM in an SP environment and I have used an example that looks similar to that. Not sure if that works for VPLS though!

pseudowire-class cl1 

encap mpls

!!!preferred-path interface tunnel 1!!!  (Missing in all docs)

!

pseudowire-class cl2 

encap mpls

!!!preferred-path interface tunnel 2!!!  (Missing in all docs)

!

port-channel load-balance src-mac 

!

interface Tunnel1

ip unnumbered Loopback0

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel destination 192.168.1.1

tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 1 explicit name LSP1

!

ip explicit-path name LSP1 enable

next-address 192.168.2.2

next-address loose 192.168.1.1

!

interface Tunnel2

ip unnumbered Loopback0

tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng

tunnel destination 172.16.1.1

tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce

tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 1 explicit name LSP2

!

ip explicit-path name LSP2 enable

next-address 172.16.2.2

next-address loose 172.16.1.1

!

interface virtual-ethernet 1

transport vpls mesh 

neighbor 10.2.2.2 pw-class cl1 

neighbor 10.3.3.3 pw-class cl2 

switchport 

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20

• I think you have this correct.

I found this as an overview and mentions your preferred-path option near the bottom of the page.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/data-center-interconnect/product_bulletin_c25-602184.html

Let me know if this helps

• Thanks Donthor. Thats what I was looking for. Much appreciated  :-)

Just for anyone coming along later, the details referring to VPLS and traffic engineering that donthor is referring to is shown below:

Tunnel Mapping

In deployments using MPLS traffic engineering or IP GRE, tunnel interfaces can be specifically mapped to particular core-facing interfaces.

To configure routing by explicitly selected tunnels, use either the MPLS preferred-path tunnel selection option underpseudowire-class or the route-via option under the virtual-ethernet transport configuration. At first release, MPLSpreferred-path tunnel selection is supported; the route-via option will be supported in a future release.