v5 mock labs (try #1 fail)

having just attempted v5 and failed. TS pass, DIAG pass, CFG fail. not going to violate the NDA however it would be nice to discuss when INE is going to produce some v5-style config mock labs?

The v5 CFG topology is around 4-5x bigger than v4 (its more-or-less the same size as TS now), none of the v4 mock CFG labs out there prepare you for this, this is a network of the size you see if you work in a big corp, but you dont have to do it in 6hrs! I am trying to reformulate my strategy centred on getting an unknown 35-box network digested in 6 hrs so need some practice runs... anyone produced anything yet? 

Comments

• Sorry for the bad news mate !!

I believe I read a blog post or something where Brian M. said that in the upcoming weeks both full scale labs and mock labs will be released !

Anyway, good luck on your next attempt !

• Just a question? you fail the mock or fail the real lab v5?... and how do you feel it in case its was the real lab??

• glad INE are working on updating material. V5 people really need it bad :)

• Sorry to hear, bad luck. Did you sit the v4 exam? I'm just curious how the amount of config in v5 compares to what was in v4. In v4 there was a lot but it was certainly possible in the time limit. I would expect that on a larger topology there would be same amount of tasks but just more 'spread out', eg not having three IGPs, BGP and MPLS all running on the same box due to lack of space in the lab

• I sat v4 a couple of years back but in hindsight wasn't really ready, took more time to study, then they announced v5 and all the seats went in seconds. so I refocused to v5. (and yes it was the real thing to clarify for an earlier poster).  I have done plenty of labs including pretty much all the offical cisco360 graded rsv5 ones which I would have thought would be the closest to the real thing. and I did fine on them. But they aren't (close to the real thing). kinda p'd off with cisco about this. trying to find words carefully here.... points to note.

the topology diagram is too massive. Actually too big to fit on the monitor, I complained to proctor about this and have also done so to cisco in my feedback  - I had to flick between zoom levels during the exam.  you can chose either see all the diagram or have the information in a readable font size but not both. Even finding router X can take time. (X is not always what / where you expect). And of course you have to fit your questions windows and 30+ terminal windows on the same..from a usability point of view its crap, and is slowing you down from the core problem you are there to solve which is the technical exam content!

I would say the amount of config you have to do is similar to v4 but its on a much larger scale topology. getting the topology in your head is substantially harder becuase its so much bigger. Because of this trying to understand whether you have done it right afterwards (in the time available) is a lot harder.

If you can follow the instructions in each question with all their subtleties and devious tricks perfectly you will be fine because you won't need to understand why the network does what it does - you will have made a working network to their requirements anyway. If however you've missed the odd one, and need to test/check/fix, using your network engineering head you have trained over the years of work - you find yourself trying to digest a network in 5 hrs that most consultants would take a month over...

oh and Ip addressing is now arbitrary , the helpful octet = link / box number addressing scheme is dead. 

another shot in october, at least I know whats coming now...

• Thank you by your feedback. On v4, in TS section I use the estrategy to open all terminal related of the fault, and when I done, close all window, and so on. 

• Regarding the IP Addressing, I am very sad... It gives us extra problems in the lab...

Sent from my iPhone

On 2014.07.09., at 15:50, iancalderbank <[email protected]> wrote:

I sat v4 a couple of years back but in hindsight wasn't really ready, took more time to study, then they announced v5 and all the seats went in seconds. so I refocused to v5. (and yes it was the real thing to clarify for an earlier poster).  I have done plenty of labs including pretty much all the offical cisco360 graded rsv5 ones which I would have thought would be the closest to the real thing. and I did fine on them. But they aren't (close to the real thing). kinda p'd off with cisco about this. trying to find words carefully here.... points to note.

the topology diagram is too massive. Actually too big to fit on the monitor, I complained to proctor about this and have also done so to cisco in my feedback  - I had to flick between zoom levels during the exam.  you can chose either see all the diagram or have the information in a readable font size but not both. Even finding router X can take time. (X is not always what / where you expect). And of course you have to fit your questions windows and 30+ terminal windows on the same..from a usability point of view its crap, and is slowing you down from the core problem you are there to solve which is the technical exam content!

I would say the amount of config you have to do is similar to v4 but its on a much larger scale topology. getting the topology in your head is substantially harder becuase its so much bigger. Because of this trying to understand whether you have done it right afterwards (in the time available) is a lot harder.

If you can follow the instructions in each question with all their subtleties and devious tricks perfectly you will be fine because you won't need to understand why the network does what it does - you will have made a working network to their requirements anyway. If however you've missed the odd one, and need to test/check/fix, using your network engineering head you have trained over the years of work - you find yourself trying to digest a network in 5 hrs that most consultants would take a month over...

oh and Ip addressing is now arbitrary , the helpful octet = link / box number addressing scheme is dead. 

another shot in october, at least I know whats coming now...

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Thanks for the feedback, good luck for your October attempt! I had a similar thing happen on v4 but with the TS section. It was just unlike nothing I'd ever seen before in terms of the difficulty. I'd done most of the INE TS labs and even the graded ones with 30 devices, but none of them prepared me for the real thing. At least now you've seen it once you know what to expect, you might even get the same lab again so make sure you know what you were weak on and that you could pass the config if you get the same questions.

I think the key with the large scale config labs is probably to approach it like the TS section. Isolate each task down to just the devices involved and close windows when you are finished with them. I'm not looking forward to creating tcl verification scripts for 30 IPv4 and IPv6 devices though