Building INE's RSv5 topology with physical switches

Use
this thread for discussion on building INE's CCIE RSv5 topology using physical switches.

Details
of INE's RSv5 topology can be found here.

Details on LAN Access Switches can be found here.

This thread is a continuation of the
original RSv5 build thread that can be found here.

PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR IOS IMAGES, IT IS ILLEGAL TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THEM UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A VALID CISCO SERVICE CONTRACT.

Comments

• Guess since l2iou in its current form lacks several features i'd like to build the iou/iol lab out with l3iou and use physical switches, that way ican do  the v4 stuff (l2iou has etherchannel issues) also.  If this the correct breakout forum does anyone have any clear instructions? I have a dual nic mac pro, one is used for home network, and i can get 3560 switches.  Cheers.

• Just purchased a few 3560-24TS-S's with 32MB Flash online with the 15.0SE image already loaded on the devices. I would like to know if this image should work alright even though according to Cisco Docs it is only supported on the 3560v2's. 

Additionally I am interested in how I will go about configuring the CSR1000V Routers on my ESXi server to communicate with the real switches. Is there a need for a 3750 breakout switch between the Hypervisor and SW1? Or is there something that can be done within VWware to perform this task for us.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• I am thinking about putting a GNS3 build together with 4 physical switches. I will probably see if I can get an decom'd server from work to run GNS3 on, but the switches I have in my  lab are only 3550s. I really can't afford new switches, nor do I have access to any CSR1000 licenses (nor IOU). WIth v5 coming up I really want to start working with the new workbooks and larger topologies. How much would I miss out on by using the 3550s? I understand that I might miss some of the newer L2 topics but I can always fall back to my rack tokens for that work. I have a lot of practice to do and I don't want to suck up my tokens on WB1 stuff.

Tricia.

• Most stuff you can still do with 3550s.

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13
    [email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
    http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of AyrishGrl
    Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:35 AM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [hardware] Building INE's RSv5 topology with physical switches

I am thinking about putting a GNS3 build together with 4 physical switches. I will probably see if I can get an decom'd server from work to run GNS3 on, but the switches I have in my  lab are only 3550s. I really can't afford new switches, nor do I have access to any CSR1000 licenses (nor IOU). WIth v5 coming up I really want to start working with the new workbooks and larger topologies. How much would I miss out on by using the 3550s? I understand that I might miss some of the newer L2 topics but I can always fall back to my rack tokens for that work. I have a lot of practice to do and I don't want to suck up my tokens on WB1 stuff.

Tricia.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

• Good Afternoon Brian,

I was checking the documentation for IOS 15.0 and 3560-24TS-S wasn't on the list of required hardware. At the same time, I have come across people who are running IOS 15 successfully on 3560-24TS-S. My question is, do you foresee any issues if we run IOS 15.0 on 3560-24TS-S with 32mb memory? E and X series swithces are really expensive so it would be awesome if we can use 3560-24TS-S with IOS15.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Waqas 

• Brian,

I have Cisco 3560 15.0SE Advance IP services and not the Univerisal like the 3560X
    Would all the features work for the LAB? 

• Most stuff you can still do with 3550s.

I think INE could help in that department buy designing the Foundation/Full scale labs with some thought:

Specifically, if a feature can be done on a router in the lab, put it on a router and not a switch.  If it is a feature unique to switches, then have it on the switches.  This could decrease the chances that a person running older switches would not be able to complete a task in the lab.  There will still be some things that can not be done without the required hardware, but could be reduced with some thought.

• Can anyone confirm if the version 15 IOS (specifically c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin) will indeed work on 32 MB versions of the V1 3560, or does it require a 32 MB V2 version 3560?

Thanks

• I confirm it does work for everything Ive done thus far.

On Jul 12, 2014 5:02 PM, "WaxTrax" <[email protected]> wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the version 15 IOS (specifically c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin) will indeed work on 32 MB versions of the V1 3560, or does it require a 32 MB V2 version 3560?

Thanks

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

• Hi Guys,

How do you setup to telnet to the physical switches if you connect 1 trunk link from the physical sw1 to the hypervisor? I have setup to serial console to my 10 CSR routers but not sure how to do it for physical switches.

I wish to remote access the switches to work on the workbook.

Regards

Wilson

• I am using a Terminal Server, Digi CM 32. It uses a straight through cable connected to the console port of the physical switches. You then manage the telnet sessions on the Digi's web based GUI, then setup your Terminal Access to telnet to the right port on the Terminal Server that leads the correct switch.

Best.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:10 AM, bugzzilla <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Guys,

How do you setup to telnet to the physical switches if you connect 1 trunk link from the physical sw1 to the hypervisor? I have setup to serial console to my 10 CSR routers but not sure how to do it for physical switches.

I wish to remote access the switches to work on the workbook.

Regards

Wilson

--
    View this message online at: http://ieoc.com/forums/p/29633/244426.aspx#244426

Jorge A. Almazan, Jr.
    (956) 223-8293

• Hey Guys,

I understand that you can put IOS 15.X on a 3560-24TS-S because it has 32mb on flash, but what I don't understand is how/where you get this.  I'm not requesting IOS images (I'm employed at a Cisco VAR) so I can download these at my leisure, but when I go to the Cisco support pages for that particular model of switch...I don't see IOS 15.X available for download.  Am I supposed to download the IOS 15.X for the 3560V2-24TS-S, and that will work for the V1?  Any insight you guys can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

~Mike

• Yes, that is what I did.

I did it for 3560 v1 and 3750 v1 work for both

Flash has to be 32g

You need a X switch to do 99%.

Most of can be done in 15.x according to Brian

• What are the major lab topics that can't be done on a Non E/X Catalyst (3560/3560G/3750/3750G) that can be done on a Catalyst E or X (3560E/3560X/3750E/3750X)?

• Just to bring more attention to your post, I want to say that I have the same question.

• To bring more attention to your post, I want to say that I have the same question.

• Dear Peers:

Good Morning 

What is meant by BreakoutSwitch, Is it normal switch that can be a bridge between Virtual Routers and physical switches (I am talking about building GNS-VitualRouters With physical Switches).

• What is meant by BreakoutSwitch, Is it normal switch that can be a bridge between Virtual Routers and physical switches (I am talking about building GNS-VitualRouters With physical Switches).

Yes, it is L3 switch who can do L2 tunneling like 3550, 3560, 3750. This would mean you need extra switch, so 5 switches.  Tested it in Ubuntu because of my lack of Windows drivers for my PC NIC.  (NIC must support vlan tagging).

However, with new topology, the word is that You do not need Breakout switch. you can connect all routers to sw1 out of 4 switches. not sure if that would work.

see 4th post for brief config at  http://ieoc.com/forums/t/30973.aspx

• Thanks alot for your help

• Dear sir;

I have 4 Catalyst 3750 switches and I want to connect them to my Virtual Routers (GNS3) ?as shown in the INE Advanced diagramm.

My question is!

Is there a specific NIC that can supports vlan tags? or is there a configuration I should do in the NIC to pass taqs?

I am trying to connect subinterfaces with 146, 13, 45, 108, and 58 taqs to the same vlan numbers in the switches.

On the switch that is connected to the NIC the port is trunking, And I reconfigured it to dot1-tunnel and I got the same result (No Connection).

• find out if your NIC supports vlan tagging then check drivers. what's your OS? Windows?

• Yes I found it.

thank you

• But, What is the configuration of NIC? IP address and DG?

and, Should i connect a Virtual Routers direct to a cloud (so in this case I need many clouds) or connect them to GNS3 switch and use one cloud witch is connected to NIC?

Is the Breakout switch Virtually or physically after NIC?

So it would be like this (GNS Routers---> cloud----> NIC----> Breakout and then my physical 3750 Switchs ) or 

(GNS Routers----> breakoutswitch----> cloud---> NIC and then ------> my physical Switchs ).

thanks for your help

I'm realy confused.

• hi guys

I am planning to build my lab around these 4 old switches:

-2xWS-3560-24PS 

2xWS-C3550-24-PWR

all these switches have only 16MB or flash. 

A couple of quick questions about these switches and about the strategy that you would recommend for building the lab:

-what is the highest IOS version that I can run on these? I think that the 3650 will take c3560-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin but I am not sure about the 3550s 

-would it be possible to boot a higher IOS version (larger IOS file) via TFTP? If yes, do I need to do it via rommon ? I have tried with "boot system tftp://... " but no luck. I am still trying to solve the problem -using TFTP on Ubuntu can be a challenge sometimes. Not very descriptieve error messages 

-why is the new  physical topology different from the old one? The old topology that I have has 3x1FE channels between each possible pair of switches. I have not had the chance to go over the new workbook to see what is changed there but at a first look I can see at least this major difference. 

-I have had a quick look at the files required for each technology lab and I noticed that unlike before most of the times you have just router files that have to be loaded for the new technology lab. What happens with the switch configurations? Is there a set of files that has to be loaded and that rarely changes from a technology lab to the next ? 

-this is a side question: what happened with the backbone routers, I don't see them in the physical diagram anymore. This is realated to my strategy to connect the server that emulates the routers to the physical switches (see the next question)

-due to a preexisting V4 lab one of my servers has 3 quad FastEthernet NICs and 2x1GB ethernet cards so that is a total of 14 cards. 

Considering that I have so many cards available I would like to use these cards to connect my routers to the switches where this is needed. The only problem that I have is that looking at the new workbook and trying to compare this with the old one I see that quite a lot changed in the number of labs and the topologies used for these. I will post another set of questions in the section dedicated to workbooks. For now all I want to ask you guys is if this (using separate interfaces to connect the routers to switches) is doable considering the topologies in this new workbook.

Thansk
    Cristian 

• Christian,

The 3560s which have 32MB of RAM are the only ones that can accept that 15.0 image.  Without that RAM, you'll probably only be able to get up to IOS version 12.4 on the 3560s you have.  I can't speak on the 3550s.

Do what Brian McGahan suggests.  Do as many labs with the equipment you do have.  Whenever you get to a function that isn't available in your IOS, make a note of it.  Upgrade your equipment, practice with a friend's newer equipment, if you have a lab at work with newer equipment, practice with that, or just use rack rentals for those things you can't do with your own equipment.

I haven't been through many labs yet myself, but looking at the configuration files for the different labs, it seems many of them don't even require the switches.  Most of the labs are about routing.

The used online inventory of 3560s with the 32MB memory is good.  You should be able to find 24 or 48 port 3560s with 32MB of RAM for around $125 each, including shipping, on ebay.  I did, and that was several months ago.

On your last question, you only really need two NICs.  One server NIC for management.  Connect that NIC to the rest of the network at your home.  This way you can manage the bare metal hypervisor server.  And the other server NIC can connect to your switches (actually just Switch 1 as seen here: http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook/task/ines-ccie-r-s-v5-hardware-topology-MjU1NA%3D%3D).  Put that server NIC and the interfaces of your routers on a separate virtual switch within your hypervisor environment.  This way the lab with be in its own cocoon and it won't affect your home network.

If you have a VM with tftp and Wireshark, place the interface of that VM on the same virtual switch as the rest of your lab.  That way you can tftp copy configs to the routers and the switches.  I recommend copying all of the configs to the devices and using the "config replace" command that Brian mentions here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0ez5lsqi8.

Torrey

• Hi Torreydale

Thanks for the reply, good advice.

I would like to use this topology:

IOU Router1-->tap1--->Bridge0-->eth0-->Sw1

IOU Router20-->tap20--->Bridge0-->eth0-->Sw1

In other words all the virtual routers connected to the bridge and the bridge connected to the external SW1 via eth0.

Would this work?

Has anybody around here tried this?

thanks

Cristian

• Sorry that I missed that. I assumed that it is somehow understood that this is Linux (hint: tap0) and that br0 is traditionally used for a linux bridge as opposite to ovsbr0 which is used for openvsiwtch bridge

I am not interested in running GNS3. This is IOU running natively on Linux no virtual machine used

• I already built my own Web-IOU in native mode, no need to run a virtual machine on top of another machine

web-iou does not allow you to connect to virtual bridges... or at least I have not came across any example.

All I need now is a reliable virtual switch to use as a break out switch so I can run the INE topologies

• Are you sure that there are no limitations with this config? 
    Don't you need Q in Q configured here? AFAIK L2IOU does not support that and there are serious limitations with L2 IOU in between the routers and real switches

• guys,

I do have cisco catalyst switch WS-C3560-24PS-S

I want to know if it is compatible with  15.0SE IOS

appreciate if someone can confirm with me,

thanks,