Data Center job role

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but figured I'd try here. My background is in Windows administration and virtualization (desktop/server). I completed my CCNA R&S and CCNA Data Center. I've been going through Mark's UCS Course (which is excellent btw). From a job role perspective, I'm still having a hard time figuring out where it fits in, and what else I should be focusing on learning.

In my current role, I handle everything VMware, we use Brocade for FC switches, which I handle for zoning, and we use EMC storage, which I create LUNS on but that's about it. I have a lot to learn where it comes to storage. So from a CCNP DC/CCIE DC perspective, I can see UCS and MDS fitting in with my current job role, if we were to get rid of our Dell blades and brocade switches. I see positions now that ask for VMware and UCS, which makes sense. I see Storage Administrator job openings that have MDS as a requirement, which also makes sense.

My confusion comes in with the Nexus side of things. Who's going to be the person to configure/troubleshoot these in a corporate setting?Will this be the "typical" network engineer? The main reason for me asking is because I'm wondering if there are other skills that I need to pick up to be successful on my journey. When I first looked at this track, I thought I'd have to start gaining knowledge on storage arrays, maybe get a netapp or emc cert or 2, but now I'm wondering, if I was looking at it wrong, and maybe I need to add more route/switch, security, wireless,voip skills instead. I was reading somewhere that someone wrote companies aren't looking for nexus experts, they are looking for typical network engineers who know some nexus

Any pointers would be helpful.

Comments