CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

Comments

• I built my own. If you use the OVA file, it automatically creates a v10 hardware VM. This means you cannot edit the VM using vSphere Client.

Build it manually , as in the tutorial from cisco DOC. Works great.

Hi Alex, which cisco doc are you referring to? Can you provide the link? Thanks

• I built my own. If you use the OVA file, it automatically creates a v10 hardware VM. This means you cannot edit the VM using vSphere Client.

This is the link I found. Think its the one he is talking about

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/csr1000Vswcfg/swinstallcsr.html

• Just for fun, my esxi load with 20 CSR:

http://i.imgur.com/7Mh8ntr.png

1vCPU/2.5GB RAM per VM

1vCPU/2.5GB RAM per VM

Have you tried knocking you memory down to 2Gig? 

This is the link I found. Think its the one he is talking about

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/csr1000Vswcfg/swinstallcsr.html

Thanks

that1guy15 and Alex.

• I am guessing, don't like to assume, that you have this running natively, bare metal install for ESXi? I will try this later on, but with half of the routers, I will have to add more memory.
    On Monday, May 5, 2014 1:17 PM, that1guy15 <[email protected]> wrote:
    imagealex.g:

Just for fun, my esxi load with 20 CSR:

1vCPU/2.5GB RAM per VM

Have you tried knocking you memory down to 2Gig? 

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• What install method are you guys using to build your CSR VMs? OVA or build your own?

I just use the OVA.  I deploy 1, add the serial port and spin that up.  Once complete I shut it down and copy/paste the files into different folders (R01, R02, etc) in my ESX storage.  Then I just add the vmx from each folder into the inventory as R01, R02, etc and modify the serial port for each VM.  That first one is my template so now I just have to copy/paste that one instance every 60 days when I go through the rebuild process.

• What install method are you guys using to build your CSR VMs? OVA or build your own?

I just use the OVA.  I deploy 1, add the serial port and spin that up.  Once complete I shut it down and copy/paste the files into different folders (R01, R02, etc) in my ESX storage.  Then I just add the vmx from each folder into the inventory as R01, R02, etc and modify the serial port for each VM.  That first one is my template so now I just have to copy/paste that one instance every 60 days when I go through the rebuild process.

Taking that a step further here is my current process:

1) deploy the OVA, add the serial device

2) boot the router and configure it for the serial device

3) tftp over the workbook configs

4) save the config, reboot, and telnet to the router

5) apply the eval lic and save the config

6) snapshot the CSR VM BEFORE rebooting the router as the license 60-day timer starts after reboot

I then saved this as a template and deploy it as needed, remembering to adjust the port for the serial connection per router. The router will also need a reboot after being deployed from the template to apply the license.

**** BRAINSTORMING  ****

If you want to get really crazy - you can also make a nest of snapshots for each router, with each base config (lic applied & before the reboot). The snapshot could take a while to create, and it is a lot of snapshots with all the configs needed from the workbook. The snapshot rollbacks take just a few seconds vs creating the initial snapshot. The other alternative would be to use the "configure replace" method, having the configs already copied over locally.

I'm also considering making a powershell menu and trying to script rollbacks to specific snapshots with the configs I would need per lab, or scripting a telnet to "config replace" each router. This could be hosted on the same windows VM used for packet capture.

This would automate the process for config changes between labs - saving a lot of time.

• I did change the memory to 1G and it still boots. Haven't test it with all the other funtions.

• I'm currently installing ESXI 5.5 and will try the CSR thing again natively on the box. Hopefully all goes well. Off to Cisco Live 365 for some VSS training, awesome place, just no CLI demo's like INE does. 
    On Monday, May 5, 2014 6:36 PM, FireFire <[email protected]> wrote:
    I did change the memory to 1G and it still boots. Haven't test it with all the other funtions.

• How does one paste config snippits into the console on the VMs?

• How does one paste config snippits into the console on the VMs?

You dont...add a serial adapter and console into it that way. Or set up an interface on the CSR to be in your LAN and just telnet to it. 

• Yeah had to put putty on the TFTP/Wireshark machine

1vCPU/2.5GB RAM per VM

Was that the system just booted or after few hours of work? Would be interesting to see if someone can play with ESXi memory compression and see how effective it is.

• Hi Brian,

In the first part of the v5 workbook you're using only 10 routers as the topology and I don't see any switches in the topology. Is it correct that you don't use these ones?

If I configure the CSR's with a other vlan then vlan-id 1 they are not able to communicate. Is this correct and how is this possible?

• Hi Brian,

In the first part of the v5 workbook you're using only 10 routers as the topology and I don't see any switches in the topology. Is it correct that you don't use these ones?

If I configure the CSR's with a other vlan then vlan-id 1 they are not able to communicate. Is this correct and how is this possible?

For the technology labs the switching is separate from the routing.  The LAN Switching section will use switches, as well as the other portions of the workbook.

For the issue with the CSRs, that should be related to a misconfiguration of the vswitch.

• Hi Brian,

If your using CSR's then they would be Virtual Switches as Brian commented.  Here is a link that explains virtual switches and how to setup using Vmware to abide by INE's topology.

http://www.fryguy.net/2013/12/27/cisco-csr1000v-for-home-labs/

The workbooks are still being updated so I'm sure there will be more to come on the role of the physical switches and mroe topology maps.

Taking that a step further here is my current process:

1) deploy the OVA, add the serial device

2) boot the router and configure it for the serial device

3) tftp over the workbook configs

4) save the config, reboot, and telnet to the router

5) apply the eval lic and save the config

6) snapshot the CSR VM BEFORE rebooting the router as the license 60-day timer starts after reboot

I then saved this as a template and deploy it as needed, remembering to adjust the port for the serial connection per router. The router will also need a reboot after being deployed from the template to apply the license.

**** BRAINSTORMING  ****

If you want to get really crazy - you can also make a nest of snapshots for each router, with each base config (lic applied & before the reboot). The snapshot could take a while to create, and it is a lot of snapshots with all the configs needed from the workbook. The snapshot rollbacks take just a few seconds vs creating the initial snapshot. The other alternative would be to use the "configure replace" method, having the configs already copied over locally.

I'm also considering making a powershell menu and trying to script rollbacks to specific snapshots with the configs I would need per lab, or scripting a telnet to "config replace" each router. This could be hosted on the same windows VM used for packet capture.

This would automate the process for config changes between labs - saving a lot of time.

Why is it necessary to configure the virtual routers with Serial Devices if there won't be any labs requiring serial connections?

• Exactly. I followed brian dennis's blog post to get my esxi box running last night. I have 5 csrs installed right now and will add 5 more, i will have to get more ram, 24 gigs on the board now. I also win 7 installed and gns3 with 20 7200s. Whatever issues i run into with gns3 i can test csr to compare with. Thanks all for the help with this, huge weught has been lifted now.

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

-------- Original message --------
    Date:05/06/2014 9:11 AM (GMT-06:00)
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [hardware] RE: CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

If your using CSR's then they would be Virtual Switches as Brian commented.  Here is a link that explains virtual switches and how to setup using Vmware to abide by INE's topology.

http://www.fryguy.net/2013/12/27/cisco-csr1000v-for-home-labs/

The workbooks are still being updated so I'm sure there will be more to come on the role of the physical switches and mroe topology maps.

• Why is it necessary to configure the virtual routers with Serial Devices if there won't be any labs requiring serial connections?

This is referring to a console port so you can connect to the CSR out of band without needing to setup a management interface and then having to telnet to that in order to access the router.

• Why is it necessary to configure the virtual routers with Serial Devices if there won't be any labs requiring serial connections?

This is referring to a console port so you can connect to the CSR out of band without needing to setup a management interface and then having to telnet to that in order to access the router.

Oh, I see. Like a virtual Console port. Thanks!

• I just spin up 10 at once, wait a few minutes and spin the other half up and don't run into any issues.

I just started all 20 up at once just to see how the server handled it and how long it took was at the CLI of each router within 5 minutes.

The processors are Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5640  @ 2.67GHz

I was playing with some MPLS stuff on 12 routers in my topology (all 20 were running but was only using 12 at the time) and the server CPU was at about 10-15% utilization and memory was at 28GB.  This lab included BGP, IS-IS, and MPLS.

I didn't really run into any issues while putting this together.  Main thing I ran into was how to connect to the virtual serial port of the CSR.  I installed one of the free licenses for ESX which kills the Enterprise license eval.  The Enterprise eval license is needed to be able to connect to the serial port.  Found the answer real quick to that in INE's blog though.  I removed the license (or reinstalled ESX...cant remember) and got it working with no issues.

Thanks very much for that Dan - has really helped me with my decision. Today I managed to score a Dell R710 with 72Gb/dual x5660's for a great price, so my platform concerns are now sorted.  :)

Questions to all (I'm an esx noob so if the questions sound stupid, sorry!):

I read Gorebrush's post on Techexams - apparently there's a problem with ESXi 5.5?   Quote: When you import the OVA it creates it as version 10. You can't then edit it without the web client. Setting up the web client requires vCenter Server, a Windows Domain, Two servers (because you then can't install vCenter on a Domain Controller.

If this is correct, is there an alternative way of loading the CSR1000v in ESXi 5.5?  (From what I've read I need 5.5 because I have more than 32Gb ram)

What is the best/quickest method to do the following:
    1.  Fix ESXi so that you dont have to rebuild from scratch after the 60 day eval expires (would a rebuild mean completely starting again from scratch?)

2.  Clone/Template (whatever its called in esx) the CSR VM so that you can quickly redeploy after the 60 day eval expires

3.  vSwitch setup for connectivity for all labs - is this available yet?  Has anyone already done it, based on the v5 Advanced Tech lab? (If I were already familiar with esx I wouldnt ask this question!).

4.  Configs - can I deploy base configs to (for instance) all 20 routers via some kind of esx mechanism, or would that be via some 3rd party s/w or scripting?

5.  Which leads me on to... how about a repository on here (maybe for members?) for resources related to this that might come in handy (I'm thinking perhaps of scripts/OVAs etc or whatever else - I'm sure there could be many things that we could all benefit from?)

This thread is really, really helpful! :)

• I think if you just use the 3.11S install intead of the 3.12S install it fixes the problem.  I believe the OVAs are in different formats.

• Download the csr ver 3.11 it doesnt install a v10 vm, which u need vcenter web client to modify. 3.12 does go v10. You can snapshot the vm and redeploy as needed for rebuilds. A friend used free license on physical host and then installed esx as a vm and did the installs, he then can use shared storage on host or copy thru vsphere to not worry about rebuilds. I havebt done this. I also installed iosxrv and now have CCIE SP on the radar.

Sent from my Cricket smartphoned

-------- Original message --------
    Date:05/06/2014 6:16 PM (GMT-06:00)
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [hardware] CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

imagedan.devlin:

I just spin up 10 at once, wait a few minutes and spin the other half up and don't run into any issues.

I just started all 20 up at once just to see how the server handled it and how long it took was at the CLI of each router within 5 minutes.

The processors are Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5640  @ 2.67GHz

I was playing with some MPLS stuff on 12 routers in my topology (all 20 were running but was only using 12 at the time) and the server CPU was at about 10-15% utilization and memory was at 28GB.  This lab included BGP, IS-IS, and MPLS.

I didn't really run into any issues while putting this together.  Main thing I ran into was how to connect to the virtual serial port of the CSR.  I installed one of the free licenses for ESX which kills the Enterprise license eval.  The Enterprise eval license is needed to be able to connect to the serial port.  Found the answer real quick to that in INE's blog though.  I removed the license (or reinstalled ESX...cant remember) and got it working with no issues.

Thanks very much for that Dan - has really helped me with my decision. Today I managed to score a Dell R710 with 72Gb/dual x5660's for a great price, so my platform concerns are now sorted.  :)

Questions to all (I'm an esx noob so if the questions sound stupid, sorry!):

I read Gorebrush's post on Techexams - apparently there's a problem with ESXi 5.5?   Quote: When you import the OVA it creates it as version 10. You can't then edit it without the web client. Setting up the web client requires vCenter Server, a Windows Domain, Two servers (because you then can't install vCenter on a Domain Controller.

If this is correct, is there an alternative way of loading the CSR1000v in ESXi 5.5?  (From what I've read I need 5.5 because I have more than 32Gb ram)

What is the best/quickest method to do the following:
    1.  Fix ESXi so that you dont have to rebuild from scratch after the 60 day eval expires (would a rebuild mean completely starting again from scratch?)

2.  Clone/Template (whatever its called in esx) the CSR VM so that you can quickly redeploy after the 60 day eval expires

3.  vSwitch setup for connectivity for all labs - is this available yet?  Has anyone already done it, based on the v5 Advanced Tech lab? (If I were already familiar with esx I wouldnt ask this question!).

4.  Configs - can I deploy base configs to (for instance) all 20 routers via some kind of esx mechanism, or would that be via some 3rd party s/w or scripting?

5.  Which leads me on to... how about a repository on here (maybe for members?) for resources related to this that might come in handy (I'm thinking perhaps of scripts/OVAs etc or whatever else - I'm sure there could be many things that we could all benefit from?)

This thread is really, really helpful! :)

• Hi there.

Have been following this thread with interest. Yes, I am the gorebrush from techexams. I got round the VM v10 problem by deploying the OVA to ESX 5.1 and then copying the files out of that and uploading them to my main ESX server that is 5.5

I have a Haswell i5 (Quad Core) that has 32GB memory. I can comfortably run 16 CSR's on that memory and I've got SSD space set aside for paging so I think I'm set with that.

• You can deploy the vsphere server appliance with web client by using the OVA file from VMWare.  This way you don't need windows at all.

• I found the following, so there is no need to install vsphere

(1) if you log into one of your esxi servers via SSH, you can edit the vmx file directly in the shell by doing the following –

* cd /vmfs/volumes/{name of your datastore volume}/{name of your virtual machine}
    * vi {name_of_your_vm}.vmx

(2) Removing the vm from inventory and add it back in. I confirmed this is necessary.

- See more at: http://blog.waldrondigital.com/2014/01/21/how-to-downgrade-vmware-esxi-5-5-virtual-machine-hardware-version-to-9-from-10/#sthash.jjG06651.dpuf

• Hi Brian,

For the technology labs the switching is separate from the routing.  The LAN Switching section will use switches, as well as the other portions of the workbook.

For the issue with the CSRs, that should be related to a misconfiguration of the vswitch.

Hey Brian,

I see updates in the WBv5 every day which is pretty cool, but want to ask - see there is logical diagram with 10 routers, and many subif in the topology. May I suppose there is a L2 segment with easy config (vlan assigment). Asking because I have got a rack with c2811/c3560 (previous INE cfg - 6R,4S,3BB) and want to redesign this HW to the new topo.

Thanks for any kind of info, Regards, Tom

• Thanks for the headsup regarding downloading and using 3.11S in order to spare myself the pain of the vsphere server install!

rriker - Are you saying your friend has a host OS already on his server, and installed ESX on that?  How is that better, from a rebuild perspective?  I was intending to build a baremetal ESXi server (I was under the impression this was the way to go?).

I need to understand what to do after the ESX and CSR 60 day eval period expires, in order to quickly get my lab back up and going, and without having to rebuild all the vswitch configs etc.    fellow labbers - what are you plans regarding this?