CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

Comments

• Here are some offhand that aren't in 15.1 I believe.  They're pulled from the new feature documentation of release notes starting at 15.0. There are more but lots of them aren't relevant.  The vast majority of these will be included in our content updates:

o EIGRP/SAF HMAC-SHA-256 Authentication

o mGRE Tunnel Support over IPv6

o OSPFv3 Address Families

o IPv6 Transport for DMVPN

o BGP Best External

o BGP Diverse Path Using Diverse-Path-RR

o BGP IPv6 Client for Single Hop BFD

o BGP IPv6 PIC Edge and Core for IP/MPLS

o BGP PIC Edge for IP/MPLS

o BGP Route Server

o OSPFv3 External Path Preference Option (RFC 5340 from RFC 2328 16.4.1)

o OSPFv3 Max-Metric Router-LSA

o BFD Support for EIGRP IPv6

o EIGRP Route Tag Enhancements

o IPSLA Multicast Support

o OSPFv3 VRF-Lite/PE-CE

o VRRPv3 Protocol Support

o BGP—Add Path

o BGP Support for IP Prefix Export from a VRF Table into the Global Table

o HSRP-Aware PIM

o OSPFv3 Retransmission Limits

o PIM Allow RP

o TTL Security Support for OSPF on IPv6

o Add Path Support in EIGRP

o BFD for RIPv2 Support

o BFD Single Hop Authentication

o HSRP—Global IPv6 Address

o OSPFv3 ABR Type 3 LSA Filtering

o Prefix Suppression Support for OSPFv3

o Simple Network Time Protocol V4 (SNTPV4)

o BFD Multihop Support for IPv4 Static Routes

o Object Tracking: IPv6 Route Tracking

o Recursive Static Route

o BFD Support for Multicast(PIM)

o eiBGP multipath for non VRF interfaces (IPv4/IPv6)

o EIGRP Over the Top

o L3VPN per CE label

o IPv6 Static Route support for Object Tracking

o L3VPN per CE label

o OSPFv2 Cryptographic Authentication

o OSPFv2 Multi Area Adjacency

o Role-Based CLI Inclusive Views

o Secure CDP

o VRRP aware PIM

• Cisco fn wasnt very helpful discerning between 2900 & 15.3 code to 7200 & 15.2 code.

That's a polite understatement. The 'compare images' function of FN is a mess.

Results of a comparison between 15.3T and 15.4T with identical platforms (c2901) and feature sets (Data+Security):

• Features unique to 15.4T: 1587 (including all the basic functionality)
    • Features unique to 15.3T: 0
    • Common features: 13

Conclusion: 15.3T on c2901 has 13 features. Lab Exam will be a piece of cake. ;-)

• Well you  know cisco is reading these posts. I have to be polite when I bag on them or the proctor may not give me the pass lol. I'm a bit frustrated with the CSRs in ESX. I loaded up 5 of them, put them all in the 4095 vlan like Brian mentioned and am using promiscuous mode on the vswitch. My Dell server crashed. repeatedly. I've got 20 7200s running in GNS3 with no issues. Maybe I'll just go with rack rentals. Seems easier to do and more cost effective than buying a platform that supports 15.3 and comes with 15.3 installed.

Where r those workbooks..... i'm chomping at the bit.
    On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:10 PM, Ford_Prefix <[email protected]> wrote:
    image rriker:

Cisco fn wasnt very helpful discerning between 2900 & 15.3 code to 7200 & 15.2 code.

That's a polite understatement. The 'compare images' function of FN is a mess.

Results of a comparison between 15.3T and 15.4T with identical platforms (c2901) and feature sets (Data+Security):
    • Features unique to 15.4T: 1587 (including all the basic functionality)
    • Features unique to 15.3T: 0
    • Common features: 13
    Conclusion: 15.3T on c2901 has 13 features. Lab Exam will be a piece of cake. ;-)

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Where r those workbooks..... i'm chomping at the bit.

The initial release is getting posted today.  The direct URL is http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook Everyone's account should be fulfilled with it in a few hours. There are lots of updates in our editing queue, so the workbook that you see today will be greatly different from the one next week, and the week after.  There will be a realease notes section that is updated as we make changes so you can track exactly what's going on with it.

• Thanks Brian, I'll keep an eye on it. 
    On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:56 PM, Brian McGahan <[email protected]> wrote:
    image rriker:

Where r those workbooks..... i'm chomping at the bit.

The initial release is getting posted today.  The direct URL is http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook Everyone's account should be fulfilled with it in a few hours. There are lots of updates in our editing queue, so the workbook that you see today will be greatly different from the one next week, and the week after.  There will be a realease notes section that is updated as we make changes so you can track exactly what's going on with it.

• Brian, what are the major differences with IOS Version 15.4T and IOS XE Version 3.11S? 

• I don't know offhand.  Probably less Service Provider features, as IOS XE is an S train.

• Hey Brian

there appears to be a total of 10 routers in the new topology???  

• Am I smelling an in-joke of monumental proportions here? 

• Looks like work in progress (lots of pending updates).

The v5 technology labs utilize 10 routers, whereas full-scale labs will probably incorporate 20, but aren't available yet.

• Looks like work in progress (lots of pending updates).

The v5 technology labs utilize 10 routers, whereas full-scale labs will probably incorporate 20, but aren't available yet.

That's what it is.  So much content was already written in volume 1 on that standard topology that I decided to port it over instead of re-writing everything.  The topology of the Foundations Labs (previously volume 3), Troubleshooting Labs (previously volume 4), and Full-Scale Labs (previously volume 2) will use different topologies.  These sections are essentially re-written from scratch, and relate to the previous versions in name only.

I wasn't able to get rack rentals launched in time today, so they'll be posted in beta next week (read: free rack rentals ;) ).  In the meantime if you guys already have a physical topology or you've built a logical topology, have fun with the workbook this weekend!

Note that all the sections with (update pending) are still on the v4 topology.

• Hi,

I downloaded the c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.153-3.XB12.bin.

The note say: "These release notes are based on Cisco IOS Release 15.3M&T and are updated as needed"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/15_3m_and_t/release/notes/153xbrn.html

I tried to compare this image in Cisco Feature Navigator, but it does not recognize this image.

Let's see if this image supports ALL features required for R&Sv5.

Hi Brian,

can you please give your expert opinion on using this IOS "adventerprisek9-mz.153-3.XB12.bin" on 2811/1841 ?

Note: It is not listed in the cisco feature navigator to compare etc.

Thank you

• Damn!  I was kind of half hoping that it was a clever ruse!  I could have handled adding 4 more physical rtrs to my lab.  Not 14!

• There is a CCIE RSv5 Bootcamp that Dave Smith is running right now and I upgraded his physical boxes to it yesterday.  It appears to be a stable release, and has some additional features that the 15.1T release does not, for example OSPFv3 VRF Lite.

It still doesn't have all features of IOS XE 3.11S (15.4S), but it's a pretty good start.

• Bryan,

After reading the overview, I'm really liking the new Workbook structure!

However, are you recommending now to go through it in a linear fashion instead of a phased staggered fashion for memory retention as explained by Petr in his post?

http://blog.ine.com/2010/10/09/how-to-pass-the-ccie-rs-with-ines-4-0-training-program/

Thanks!

• After reading the overview, I'm really liking the new Workbook structure!

However, are you recommending now to go through it in a linear fashion instead of a phased staggered fashion for memory retention as explained by Petr in his post?

http://blog.ine.com/2010/10/09/how-to-pass-the-ccie-rs-with-ines-4-0-training-program/

I would still recommend staggered phases for retention.  It won't be exactly in the format at Petr laid out, but I will be updating a new document similar to this.  More info to come.

• Hi Brian,

The v5 workbook looks good so far, Great work. Just wondering if the workbook topology is finalised, As in will there be any Backbone routers in the V5 topology?

Ray.

• The topology is finalized.  The maximum size will be about 20 routers and 4 switches.  The average topology will be much smaller though.  There won't be any dedicated BB routers, but there will be initial configs that make some of the router instances become BB routers.

• Is there going to be a physical topology posted for the 10 router topology to be used with the v5 Advanced Technology labs?

• Hi Brain,

Great post. GNS3 alpha 3 v1.0 has been released, with this version we can emulate almost everything of the v.5 lab using L2/L3IOU. So, it will be just a matter of getting a licensed IOU and a decent PC/Server to run it on. I've test it with L3IOU 15.4T it's great and CPU/RAM utilization were nearly  1-2% only per instance. So, why not using GNS3 v1?

• Hi Brain,

Great post. GNS3 alpha 3 v1.0 has been released, with this version we can emulate almost everything of the v.5 lab using L2/L3IOU. So, it will be just a matter of getting a licensed IOU and a decent PC/Server to run it on. I've test it with L3IOU 15.4T it's great and CPU/RAM utilization were nearly  1-2% only per instance. So, why not using GNS3 v1?

GNS3 is fine, and it will do a lot of what you want it to do.  We even donated to the kickstarter program, and [email protected] gave a presentation on the alpha release at the INE sponsored Chicago Network Operators Group (CHI-NOG) meeting just recently.  The thing to remember though, is that IOU, IOL, and GNS3 emulated images are not a production release.

The difference is that IOU, IOL, and Dynamips/GNS3 only simulate the control plane in IOS, while CSR1000v is an actual production router.  Even though its control plane runs as a virtual machine, it has real data plane resources that it is interacting with.  The end result is that you will have behaviors in IOU/IOL/GNS3 that do not accurrately model a real design.  Now while for CCNA or CCNP preparation this might be fine, do you really want to waste 3 days on a troubleshooting a multicast problem that turns out to be an emulator bug?

• What I find interesting is that we are even discussing IOU/IOL when it is supposed to be cisco internal only. Yes it may work for you and all that is great, but doesn't it bother those that are admitting to using IOU/IOL that Cisco may try to intervene? I also contributed to the crowdfunding but not for the purposes of IOU capabilities. What I think Cisco should be doing is providing some facilitation for a VM that has the IOS images that they rate limit some how. You can't use GNS3 in production, I use it for testing. FYI there are actually 2 versions of CSR, the one that INE uses for CCIE v5 and an image built by Cisco for Amazon AWS. I currently have 3 CSRs deployed in AWS, they do the job but key features like MPLS are not supported. I can do DMVPN and that has it's benefits but
    at the end of the day it's still dependent on a VM underlying platform. 

Kind of ironic GNS3 released a major update when INE did...... coincidence?????
    On Saturday, May 3,
    2014 2:27 AM, Brian McGahan <[email protected]> wrote:
    image M.Elhassan:

Hi Brain,

GNS3 is fine, and it will do a lot of what you want it to do.  We even donated to the kickstarter program, and [email protected] gave a presentation on the alpha release at the INE sponsored Chicago Network Operators Group (CHI-NOG) meeting just recently.  The thing to remember though, is that IOU, IOL, and GNS3 emulated images are not a production release.

The difference is that IOU, IOL, and Dynamips/GNS3 only simulate the control plane in IOS, while CSR1000v is an actual production router.  Even though its control plane runs as a virtual machine, it has real data plane resources that it is interacting with.  The end result is that you will have behaviors in IOU/IOL/GNS3 that do not accurrately model a real design.  Now while for CCNA or CCNP preparation this might be fine, do you really want to waste 3 days on a troubleshooting a multicast problem that turns out to be an emulator bug?

• Hi Brian,

I thought that the real exam will use iou/l2iou. How will they solve those issues?

• They don't need to, because the actual CCIE lab exam isn't meant to be a learning tool. 

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13
    [email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

On May 3, 2014, at 3:00 AM, "alex.g" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Brian,

I thought that the real exam will use iou/l2iou. How will they solve those issues?

• It's the same CSR image, you just have to enable the licensing before you use the advances features. It's the same as like an ISR G2 with a universal image. 

[email protected]

On May 3, 2014, at 2:54 AM, "rriker" <[email protected]> wrote:

What I find interesting is that we are even discussing IOU/IOL when it is supposed to be cisco internal only. Yes it may work for you and all that is great, but doesn't it bother those that are admitting to using IOU/IOL that Cisco may try to intervene? I also contributed to the crowdfunding but not for the purposes of IOU capabilities. What I think Cisco should be doing is providing some facilitation for a VM that has the IOS images that they rate limit some how. You can't use GNS3 in production, I use it for testing. FYI there are actually 2 versions of CSR, the one that INE uses for CCIE v5 and an image built by Cisco for Amazon AWS. I currently have 3 CSRs deployed in AWS, they do the job but key features like MPLS are not supported. I can do DMVPN and that has it's benefits but
    at the end of the day it's still dependent on a VM underlying platform. 

Kind of ironic GNS3 released a major update when INE did...... coincidence?????
    On Saturday, May 3,
    2014 2:27 AM, Brian McGahan <[email protected]> wrote:
    M.Elhassan:

Hi Brain,

• Hi Brian,

Do you have a release date for v5 videos?

• It's the same CSR image, you just have to enable the licensing before you use the advances features. It's the same as like an ISR G2 with a universal image.

Does that imply Evaluation Right to Use licensing will actually work just like on the ISR G2?

Does that imply Evaluation Right to Use licensing will actually work just like on the ISR G2?

There's an eval licsense for 60 days.  When it expires the box is rate limited to 2.5Mbps in the data plane:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/csr1000Vswcfg/csroverview.html#pgfId-1156046

• I was under the impression it was a limitation by aws. You can bring ur own license or do pay per hour, so i could have all features available with my license but aws sets limits as to what u can do, like no ospf routing. Im looking into this with aws. We r migrating an entire DC into aws, mgmt doesnt want buy a million dlrs worth of nexus and emc equipment, aws already has this in place. Plus i dont have to learn nxos while im working v5.

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

-------- Original message --------
    Date:05/03/2014 4:58 AM (GMT-06:00)
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [hardware] CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

image Brian McGahan:

It's the same CSR image, you just have to enable the licensing before you use the advances features. It's the same as like an ISR G2 with a universal image.

• It's two separate issues. You pay AWS for the compute time and instance size, say m1 for example. You then buy the license key from Cisco to turn the CSR feature sets on. 

[email protected]

On May 3, 2014, at 10:46 AM, "rriker" <[email protected]> wrote:

I was under the impression it was a limitation by aws. You can bring ur own license or do pay per hour, so i could have all features available with my license but aws sets limits as to what u can do, like no ospf routing. Im looking into this with aws. We r migrating an entire DC into aws, mgmt doesnt want buy a million dlrs worth of nexus and emc equipment, aws already has this in place. Plus i dont have to learn nxos while im working v5.

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

-------- Original message --------
    Date:05/03/2014 4:58 AM (GMT-06:00)
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [hardware] CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

Brian McGahan:

It's the same CSR image, you just have to enable the licensing before you use the advances features. It's the same as like an ISR G2 with a universal image.