CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

Comments

• Thanks for that Brian.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to get by with my existing 3750s (16mb).  If it turns out that it's only a couple of things that I cant do, then I'll probably rent a rack for a few sessions to practice those specific things.

cheers

• From what I can make of it the 3 main options appear to be:

Cheap, but meets the requirement:  GNS3 - 7200s 15.x - Min 8Gb Ram + ideally quad core cpu (although dual core should be adequate).

Not so cheap, but points for coolness (A): CSR1000V + ESXi (os some other hypervisor) - 2.5Gb Ram PER VM + 1 vCPU.

Not so cheap, but points for really annoying the wife (B): 20x 1841s + 4 3750/3650 (all running 15.x) + BBs + rack/power

Yes the CSR1000 option is really interesting but i haven't the code for it and also need some more tweak to make it running on Unix systems.

Since i run Ubuntu server with GNS3 and breakout switches i will go on with that for the moment. The 15.2 IOS is yet supported for 7200 platform so it should be enough for our needs. Also on Ubuntu server by using the cpulimit tool i can run 30 + routers without problems for CPU.

The last option translates into create a mini datacenter at home so it will be a very hard time with electric bills too :)

• Brian - thanks for the info.  I'll use your racks for anything I'm unable to do on mine.

pgallo - my v4 rack has been on for approx 10hrs per day since mid-Feb.  according to my apc power meter, it draws around 2 to 3 amps.  I don't think I'd like to treble that!

• Brian,
    What is the exact IOS 15.3T release we're gonna need for INE RSv5 topology?

• Universal with Data and Security licenses.  The exact train doesn’t really matter.  Just run whatever the latest your platform will support.

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13
    [email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
    http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Allysson
    Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:46 AM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [hardware] RE: CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

Brian,
    What is the exact IOS 15.3T release we're gonna need for INE RSv5 topology?

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

• The last option translates into create a mini datacenter at home so it will be a very hard time with electric bills too :)

Cisco quotes a typical power consumption of 25W for a C1905/C1921. I measured about 23W under lab conditions and even less for a C1841 (20W, IIRC). So 20 of these boxes should consume about 400-460W (plus console server). I expect a server running 20 instances of CSR1000V to be in the same league.

i left physical switches out of the equation, as they are needed anyway.

• It's Dual 8 Core Xeon E5 with 384GB of RAM ......

Brian are you a megalomaniac?! ;-)

• Cisco quotes a typical power consumption of 25W for a C1905/C1921. I measured about 23W under lab conditions and even less for a C1841 (20W, IIRC). So 20 of these boxes should consume about 400-460W (plus console server). I expect a server running 20 instances of CSR1000V to be in the same league.

i left physical switches out of the equation, as they are needed anyway.

I appreciate the correction Ford i thought values were higher.

I'm running that box lean.  It can take up to 1.5TB of RAM ;)

I'm running that box lean.  It can take up to 1.5TB of RAM ;)

Ouch!! so definitely you are haha :)

•  

According to my APC, my rack averages 2.5A

(6x1841, 3x3750, 1x3560, 2x2501, 1x2522, 1 DigiCM32)

Now im intrigued.  Over the w/end I'll check via snmp using a different tool.

• what useful  functionality do you gain having 15.X on switches ?  so far I found nothing. Also if cisco use IOU in Lab environment, won't the switches end up losing functionality like port channels etc that cannot be easily done in virtual ?

• That's kind of what I was alluding to in an earlier post.  Based on Brians feedback, I went and took a look at the Feature Navigator and compared 15.0(2)SE5 with 12.2(55)SE5. 

Here are the features unique to 15.0(2)SE (not in 12.2(55)SE5):

CB Shaping
    DH Group 5
    Generic Traffic Shaping
    IKE XAuth
    IKE Mode Config
    IKE Security Protocol
    IKE Shared Secret using AAA Server
    IPSec Network Security
    L2PT
    RSVP
    RED
    Subnetwork Bandwidth Manager (SBM)
    Tunnel Endpoint Discovery (TED)
    VACL Logging of Access Denied
    VRRP
    Wildcard Pre-Shared Key

From what I can make of it, this means that we can't use pre-15.x switches to form tunnel endpoints with IKE (eg. VTI's), and we cant config VRRP on L3 interfaces.  The rest, I'm not so sure will come up in the lab (just my guess, based on the blueprint).

So until I see something that really means I need to change, I'm going to stick with my existing 3750s (currently running 12.2(50)SE).  For what it's worth, I'm also running one 3560 with 15.0(2)SE, just for the hell of it. [:)]

• I was trying to compare 15.1T or XB (max supported by 1841) and 15.3T via the Cisco Feature Navigator. Seems like its not comparing the images correctly. Is there any Major difference between the two versions that i need to be aware of before going with a lab of 1841's??

• Hi ukwill,

THE 3560 IN YOUR LAB RUNNING15.0 CODE, IS IT THE STANDARD 3560 OR G/v2/E/X AND WHAT IS THE AMOUNT OF FLASH ON IT.

• Hi

Model number: WS-C3560-24TS-S

There are only 2 (eth) models of 3560/3750 switches that can support 15.x code. (see my earlier post for confirmation).

• This is how the physical topology should look if you're running at as physical + virtual:

http://i.imgur.com/opQ6eAJ.png

Brian,

I don't know much about how VSphere networking functions, so hopefully these questions aren't silly. Does this mean the Vswitch that your gig1 ports are all in will just pass along the tagging without issue? Will CDP work in this situation between routers or between routers and Sw1?

If I wanted to have say R1 and R2 connected on the same segment for purposes of lab content, would you just change those to be in the same port group in vsphere or tagged with same VLAN and then and skip messing with the physical switch fabric?

• The vSwitch basically just acts like a hub.  It sends all the frames everywhere unmodified.  CDP an all the other protocols still work over it.  In vSphere you accomplish this by putting them all in the same port group, setting the port group to VLAN 4096 (which means pass all VLAN tags), and then set the switch to "allow promiscuous mode" which makes it act like a hub.

The last option is only needed for packet capture and redirection, which is part of the new CCIE RSv5 scope.

• I purchased a pre-built "workstation" on eBay for less than $900. Here are the specs:

2x Quad core Xeons @ 3.14 Ghz (8 cores)

64GB DDR2 RAM (expandable up to 128GB)

2x Sata drives with RAID controller

2x Gig nics

nVidia Quadro FX 4600 Graphic Card  (not that I really care about the video card anyway)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380797319099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I don't need a rack as this is a workstation. This has turned out to be very convenient for me.

Pablo considering both brand and price it is pretty nice beast, thanks for the advice

• hi brain,

I have CISCO 2522

currently I am running the INE configs on it (Frame-Relay),

can I use this router for ccie v5 studies ? like MPLS, VPN or any thing other than frame-relay ?

thanks,

• Brian , the routers you're using in ESXi are CSR1000v ??

• I have CISCO 2522

currently I am running the INE configs on it (Frame-Relay),

can I use this router for ccie v5 studies ? like MPLS, VPN or any thing other than frame-relay ?

You could use it for basic CE routing in MPLS.

• Brian , the routers you're using in ESXi are CSR1000v ??

Yes.

• Hi Brian

You talk a lot about virtual routers, but as I recall Cisco announced a topology at Cisco Live EMEA 2014, that included a serial backup network. Here we’ll still test serial communication over PPP etc.

How will you emulate that on CSR1000v routers on an ESXi, or are you using a mix of psychical and logical routers?

Mikkel

• Serial is not going to be included in our main build.  There will be a few tasks in the workbook that go over Serial interfaces, and a few in the videos, but overall it's probably less than 1% of the content.  You could do these tasks on any platform other than CSR1000v, either hardware, GNS3, IOU, IOL, etc.

• Also you don't need Serial to test PPP, as PPP is media independent and can also run over Ethernet.

• So serial is dead in version5(almost)?

Mikkel

• Mikkel

Have a read of this: http://blog.ine.com/2014/04/17/ines-ccie-rsv5-expanded-blueprint/

Click on the RSv5 Blueprint link - it contains all the v5 lab info that is to be tested.

For L2 Wan it states:
    implement & tshoot HDLC
    implement & tshoot PPP

• So serial is dead in version5(almost)?

Mikkel

Serial in general is a dying technology.  SONET doesn't go above OC-768, which is 40Gbps.  Ethernet is already at 100Gbps, and can be supported over long haul just like SONET by using DWDM.

Regardless though the configuration of HDLC and PPP is trivial.

For example here's a PPP over OC-48 POS config for IOS XR:

interface POS0/7/0/0
    ipv4 address 10.0.0.20 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp

For the same config but with HDLC:

interface POS0/7/0/0
    ipv4 address 10.0.0.20 255.255.255.0

There's nothing special about the config that warrants keeping it in the topology.  Any of the other details like PPP Multilink, PPP Authentication, PPP LFI, etc. can all still be configured as PPPoE.