CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

Comments

• Let me ask you, what is the need for Breakout Switch?

It's just aggregating all the physical links to the routers.  You could plug them all into SW1 directly if you wanted to, but it wouldn't match up with our initial configs then.

• I know its still early too but any time-frame on a release? Will it fall inline with the v5 workbook refresh?

• I know its still early too but any time-frame on a release? Will it fall inline with the v5 workbook refresh?

The first initial release will be before the end of May.

• Brian in  physical + virtual topology i am configuring the routers on ESXi so your mean i am installing normal windows server machine on top + My GNS3 router images ?

• Brian,

pretty nifty design, also givies the rack a carrier class appearance. ;-)

Thank you for this suggestion and the topology diagrams. Looking forward to your new workbooks.

From what I hear VIRL is not going to be very cheap for the full version.  When you rack mount your physical boxes you might consider doing it on their side, since the small 1800s or 1900s aren't 1U full width.  This way you can cram lots of boxes into a physical 42U rack.  Here's an example from one of our RSv4 troubleshooting racks:

http://i.imgur.com/1tm9ult.jpg

• What version of switch are people going to be using, If I'm not mistaken the IOS 15.x will only load on the newer versions of the Cisco hardware (3560x, 3750x, 3560v2, 3750v2)? However in the UK at least these are all priced around £600+ each on eBay, which is considerably more expensive that the switches we were using before running 12.4, in fact all 20 routers are going to cost be about the same as a single switch assuming that I put them on a single VMWare server.

I suppose one option is to not go with 15.x on the switches, however not sure how much that would impact the labs?

The other obvious one is to go for rack rentals where switches are required...

Or am I missing some cheap switch out there that will run L2/L3 IOS 15.0?

• Hi iTom

Regular 3560 switches will run just fine ios 15:

Switch#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 05-Feb-13 12:24 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3560 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C3560 Boot Loader (C3560-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SEC, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Switch uptime is 1 minute

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.se2.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

[email protected]

cisco WS-C3560-24TS (PowerPC405) processor (revision E0) with 131072K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID CAT1114NLS5

Last reset from power-on

2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

24 FastEthernet interfaces

2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address       : 00:1B:8F:CA:9B:00

Motherboard assembly number     : 73-9897-06

Power supply part number        : 341-0097-02

Motherboard serial number       : CAT11145KR4

Power supply serial number      : AZS1110036E

Model revision number           : E0

Motherboard revision number     : B0

Model number                    : WS-C3560-24TS-S

System serial number            : CAT1114NLS5

Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-26160-02

Top Assembly Revision Number    : E0

Version ID                      : V02

CLEI Code Number                : COMMG00ARB

Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x01

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------

*    1 26    WS-C3560-24TS      15.0(2)SE2            C3560-IPSERVICESK9-M

Configuration register is 0xF

Switch#

Unfortuntely the WS-C3560-24PS (poe version) has a limited 16mb flash, so the ios 15 image is too large. 

Brian, is it possible to use 2x3560 and 2x3550 in the new topology? I mean, use the new features just on 2 switches, like in v4? Or do we need all new features available on all 4 switches? Thanks

Alex
  • Hi alex.g

Regular 3560 not 3560G, 3560v2 and 3560-x can run ios 15.0 code with 32MB flash.

From data sheet, 32MB flash memory:

3560G-24TS, 3560G-24PS, 3560G-48TS, 3560G-24PS, 3560-24TS, 3560-48TS & 3560-8PC.

16MB Flash memory:

3560-48PS

3560-24PS.

So 3560-24TS-S/-E & 3560-48TS-S/-E can run IOS 15.0 code

• Hmmm so with this setup would there even be a need or benifit to running CML/VIRL? 

Unless CML has some features we dont know about yet.

• Probably not.  I think the benefit of running VIRL/CML is that you can do arbitrary mock-ups on the fly.  With CCIE RSv5 this isn't really needed because the physical topology can be static.  Only the logical topology needs to change.

• dear brain,

you said you are going to post something after Cisco Live next two weeks ?
    what is that cisco live topic ?

thanks, 

• It will be about how our new content system will work and about how updates will be working.

• Brian or anyone,

I need some help. Would 3 Supermicro X7DCA-L servers with 24GB of RAM support the requirements set forth. I posted the specifications and link below. Trying to maintain a budget and begin selling my hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5100/X7DCA-L.cfm

- Derick

• Kinda depends on what you want to base your lab on.

From what I can make of it the 3 main options appear to be:

Cheap, but meets the requirement:  GNS3 - 7200s 15.x - Min 8Gb Ram + ideally quad core cpu (although dual core should be adequate).

Not so cheap, but points for coolness (A): CSR1000V + ESXi (os some other hypervisor) - 2.5Gb Ram PER VM + 1 vCPU.

Not so cheap, but points for really annoying the wife (B): 20x 1841s + 4 3750/3650 (all running 15.x) + BBs + rack/power

(I didn't bother with CML as its still not an option)

(The first 2 options require you to have 4 phys switches, and if you choose GNS3, either quad-NICs/usb2ser or an additional breakout switch - meaning you only need a single cable from your PC)

Personally, I'm go to carry on with my v4 rack until the new WB comes out.  I'm also going to take my laptop (lenovo z580 dualcore) to 8gb RAM (£20) and purchase an mSATA 500GB SSD (£230) (Samsung EVO), and put GNS3/Dynamips on the SSD (it has RAPID mode, which is effectively a ramdisk).  Considering that there have been numerous posts made by people who have successfully built large GNS3 labs on relatively light-spec laptops, I fancy the challenge.  I will post my findings in the GNS3 section of IEOC.

At first I was thinking of a beefy server with oodles of RAM, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think why?  If the 7200 platform supports the v5 requirements, then why bother with all the additional expense (I'm self funding this journey and am actively not looking for work until it's over, so I'm far more aware of my outgoings than I was!).

cheers

• You bring a valid point and a good one. However, I plan to utilize these servers for the pursuit of VCP as well so having multiple servers for migrations, VMotion helps and that is why I am leaning toward the server route. I am trying to figure out if the severs I am purchasing will fit the requirements of 20 CSR1000vs. If anyone can prouder some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. 

• Brian or anyone,

I need some help. Would 3 Supermicro X7DCA-L servers with 24GB of RAM support the requirements set forth. I posted the specifications and link below. Trying to maintain a budget and begin selling my hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Derick

Yes that would work.  And then you could just use an external switch that you trunk to and get all the routers to talk to each other over that.

• In that case I'd suggest that the board looks a bit weak.  Supports only DDR2 ram, and only a  max of 48Gb.

Not sure what your budget is, but have you checked a used HP Z800 on the bay?  Specced with dual x5650 (hex-cores) and supports upto 192Gb Ram.  I was considering one of these, but with 1Tb disk and 48Gb RAM (DDR3) and cost was £850.

EDIT:  Sorry - forgot you were speccing 3 of these servers.  In which case - sure it'll work! 

• I figured with multiple servers, I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Work on CCIE and later work on VCP. Thanks for the help gentlemen. Greatly appreciated. 

- Derick

• Brian,

any use for BBs from RSv4 rack?

• Yeah Im in the same boat as you. For now it will be a CCIE lab but Ill then convert it to a VMWare, openstack SDN playground!

• On the physical switches, is IP services absolutely required or can IP Base be used?

If IP Services is required, is that a licensed feature set of the universal image?  How much is this going to cost?

• IP Base does not support PIM within the universalk9 IOS for the 3560Xs so I would assume you would need to have IP Services. Just utilize a 3750 and upgrade the IOS. Should support all the features needed. 

- Derick

• upgrade the 3750 to what version?  15.0 universal would still require license?

• so long as you have 32mb flash the 15.0 image loads just the same as the 12.x images did.

edit:  this image works fine - c3560-ipservicesk9-tar.150-2.SE.tar

• Scale up or scale out, either will work in the end. 

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13
    [email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
    http://www.INE.com

On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:42 AM, "derick.furtado" <[email protected]> wrote:

I figured with multiple servers, I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Work on CCIE and later work on VCP. Thanks for the help gentlemen. Greatly appreciated. 

- Derick

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Brian,

any use for BBs from RSv4 rack?

No.  With this many routers in the topology we can always add BB routers just adding an extra initial config to one of the routers already in the topology. So in other words there might be BB routers, but there won't be dedicated BB routers like there have been in our previous topologies.

• Phew!  That's good to hear Brian :)

• Brian

Is there anything specific in the new WB that specifically requires 15.x on the switches, or can we get away with running something like 12.2(55) IPServices? (I appreciate that the lab will be 15.x)

The reason I ask is there are only 2x older 3560/3570 platforms (non-G/E/X) that have 32mb flash (required for 15.0 code):

32 MB Flash memory (Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS, Catalyst 3560G-24PS, Catalyst 3560G-48TS, Catalyst 3560G-48PS, Catalyst 3560-24TS, Catalyst 3560-48TS, and Catalyst 3560-8PC);

32 MB Flash memory (Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24TS-1U, 3750G-24WS, 3750G-24PS, 3750G-48TS, 3750G-48PS, and 3750-24FS

cheers

• Brian

Is there anything specific in the new WB that specifically requires 15.x on the switches, or can we get away with running something like 12.2(55) IPServices? (I appreciate that the lab will be 15.x)

There will be some 15.x specific topics, but probably only 5-10% maximum of the switching scope. If you already have switches running 12.2(55), and they can't run 15.x, then I would just run the 12.2 train.  You can compare the images side by side at http://www.cisco.com/go/fn and see the differences.  The feature navigator isn't always 100% correct but it can give you a general idea what is and isn't supported.  Most of it is routing features that you wouldn't need to run on the switches anyways.