CCIE RSv5 Equipment Build

1141516171820»

Comments

• Hi Bryan, is really necessary q-in-q in the hypervisor?

Can I replace it for a standard L2IOU Switch with vlans? What features are not supported on L2IOU?

Thanks!

• Yes, in the ESXi setup INE uses dot1q is necessary to create the networks between routers. INE chose to go with dot1q tunnels, it solves their build. That is not the only option however, you can map a vNIC to a particular routers interface. Assuming your virtual host has NICs available to accommodate. Unlike VMware Wkstn, a physical virtual host actually has to have physical NICs to facilitate physical networks to the virtual network. Similar to how you can bridge GNS3 to physical devices. I set my ESXi build like you would see it in a real production environment, where I mapped a vNIC to a an uplink port. I plugged the switch directly to the host and viola, CDP picked it up right away. 

Hope that helps,
    Rob

On Monday, January 19, 2015 3:07 PM, Juan_Urti <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Bryan, is really necessary q-in-q in the hypervisor?

Can I replace it for a standard L2IOU Switch with vlans? What features are not supported on L2IOU?

Thanks!

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Hi rriker, many thanks for your answer.

I will prepare a IOU topology, with a standard switch with standard vlans. 

L2IOU images, doesn´t support q-in-q tunnel (and q-in-q is only in written exam).

Thanks again.

• I'm stuck in that swap expansion issue...can u post how did u solve it?

thx

• Dear Brian

I have a problem here, once i  add new NIC card to to the vSwitch on the ESXI 5.5, the i connect the physical SW, i lose connectivity to the esxi server. 

• Brian,

I skimmed over the threads here.. Has anyone tried using VIRL/CML to set this up ?

I am running VIRL at the moment (Cisco Modeling Labs) and was a bit confused on the trunk from inside the software to the physical switches.. Just wondering if anyone has set it up yet.

UCS M3 C24

192GB Ram

12 Cores

• Never had VIRL working correctly, it was a waste. CSR 1000v with physical switches worked for all labs.
    Tx, 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2015, at 3:40 PM, michagar <[email protected]> wrote:

I skimmed over the threads here.. Has anyone tried using VIRL/CML to set this up ?

I am running VIRL at the moment (Cisco Modeling Labs) and was a bit confused on the trunk from inside the software to the physical switches.. Just wondering if anyone has set it up yet.

UCS M3 C24

192GB Ram

12 Cores

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• That sucks.. sorry to hear.

I have been running it for a while and no issues.. Just couldnt figure out the vmware networking component to connect my VIRL instances to the physical switches..  I am running it for the gui and multiple images like IOSv, IOSv Layer-2,
    IOS-XRv, NX-OSv, CSR1000v and ASAv..  not only for the INE Study stuff..

I will keep digging around.

• Found what I needed I think..

• Is there a VIRL config file? I know VIRL is terribly unreliable...

• Hi everyone

• is there any group for CCIE Master

• Richard84Richard84
    edited January 2018

Hey Brian,

Just recently completed my CCNP certification!! Thanks to you Brian for all the CCNA and CCNP videos over the years your videos have been a great resource for me! Thanks man!

Now beginning the planning of the journey towards CCIE! Can't believe I'm finally saying that, haha! I want to build a CCIEv5 home lab like this with VMware ESXi... Will this server work well for running the 20 routers on csr1000v image? or would you recommend something else (definitely want to stick with a 1U server I could go Dell R610 as well) I found a great deal on this server for only $289.95 (USD);

ITEM DESCRIPTION:

HP-ProLiant-DL360-G6-Server-2x-X5650-2-66GHz-HexaCore-64GB-2x-146GB-2x-Power-DVD

COMPONENT INFO DESCRIPTION
    Model HP HP Proliant DL360 G6 - 4 SFF Bays
    Processor 2 IntelXeon Six Core2.66 GHzX5650
    Memory 64GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Dimm Size 4GB
    Hard Drives 2 HP 146GB 3G SAS 10K SFF (2.5) SP Hard Drive
    Controller Smart Array P410i Smart Array P410i
    Power Supply 2 HP 460W High Efficiency Hot Plug AC Power Supply Kit
    Optical Drive Yes DVD-ROM
    Remote Access Integrated Lights Out 2 (ILo 2) Remote Management Port
    Rails Yes Rails Included With Purchase
    Operating System No We Do Not Include Any COA Or Install Any OS By Default
    Power Cords 1 Per Power Supply Power Cord, Black, NEMA 5-15P To C13, 18WG, 6 Foot

Thanks Brain & INE!,
    Richard
    CCNP, FSCA