NX-OS Software Upgrade on Nexus N5Ks and N7Ks

Hi Guys,

I am loooking at upgrading our NX-OS software on the Nexus N5Ks and N7Ks.

On the N5Ks, we are currently running NX-OS ver 5.0(3)N2(2) and want to upgrade it to the latest ver 7.0(1)N(1).

It seems we could go direct from the 5.0 ver to the 7.0 but I am not entirely sure.

From looking through this document link below, it seems its possible.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/700_N1_1/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_700.html#wp641712

Can someone please cast their eye over it just in case I am missing something? Also, are their any caveats I need to be aware prior to carrying out this upgrade? We current have vPC running on both N5Ks connecting to FEXs and vPC running northbound to the N7Ks.

The current version on the N7Ks is 5.2 and looking to ugrade to the 6.1(5)

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ejiro

Comments

• Are you able to have downtime? If you are then this process becomes much simpler. If not, then you will have to look at ISSU (and as you know the 5ks don't have dual-sups). 

Also, as for the 7Ks, why don't you upgrade to the currently Cisco recommended 6.2.2a instead? Any particular reason as to why you specifically want to go to 6.1.5? 

• Thanks Plucena for your reply,

Yes I guess we have to create a downtime to carry out the upgrades but this will be in the best minimum outage. So the idea willl be to upgrade say N5K-1 while services keeps active via the N5K-2, reload the N5K-1 and wait for services to be restored before upgrading N5K-2.

Please let me know if you feel otherwise.

As regards the N7010 - this is a bit tricky as we currently have the SUP-1 card installled. So it seems now that I cant even go as far at the 6.1 ver as from looking at Cisco software downloads, you can only download the 6.x releases for only the SUP-2 card.

Do you or anymore know what the recommded NXOS software shoul be for the N7K running with SUP-1 supervisor card and where I can download it from the Cisco site? I have download rights, so no issues with that, just where to get the info from is what I am currently struggling with.

Thanks

Ejiro

• Be aware that Cisco are promising to release 6.2.8a of NX-OS this month for the N7Ks.

• I will have to research the exact versions, but one of our administrators made an upgrade without going through the recommended interim release.

Issues that arrised because of that .  MGMT port was place in shutdown state during upgrade and some of the configuration was lost.  Not all, but some.

If you depend on MGMT for out of band, better have hands near the box with a console connection to fix anything that might arise.

• Thanks for the heads up Sea,

Dennies - Yes there will be a downtime, and I will make sure we have console access to the box,

Also Guys, I have managed to find the answers to some of my question as to why I was thinking I will be unable to upgrade from the ver5.0 on the N7K to ver6.2.

The reason being that if you want to upgrade a SUP-1 card to ver 6.2, you need a minimum of 8GB Memory.

Fortuanately, the SUP-1 we have, has 8GB memory.

Can anyone please confim if I can upgrade the N7Ks from ver5.0(3) to the latest ver6.2directly?

Do I need to upgarde to a certain code before upgrading to ver6.2?

Thanks for you help.

• You can upgrade them directly, assuming you’re not doing ISSU.  You don’t need to go through all the “install all” details if you’re planning downtime.  The only thing you need to do is upload the new images to flash and then change both the boot system and boot kickstart variables, and then reload.  Just make sure you have a backup of your configs.  Worst case scenario if you need to roll back you can just adjust your boot variables again and go back to 5.x.

The upgrade path only matters if you’re trying to upgrade it with ISSU and make it a hitless upgrade without downtime.  If you can schedule a maintenance window then it’s business as usual just like any other IOS upgrade.

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13

[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of ejiron21
    Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:56 AM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [CCIE DC] NX-OS Software Upgrade on Nexus N5Ks and N7Ks

Thanks for the heads up Sea,

Dennies - Yes there will be a downtime, and I will make sure we have console access to the box,

Also Guys, I have managed to find the answers to some of my question as to why I was thinking I will be unable to upgrade from the ver5.0 on the N7K to ver6.2.

The reason being that if you want to upgrade a SUP-1 card to ver 6.2, you need a minimum of 8GB Memory.

Fortuanately, the SUP-1 we have, has 8GB memory.

Can anyone please confim if I can upgrade the N7Ks from ver5.0(3) to the latest ver6.2directly?

Do I need to upgarde to a certain code before upgrading to ver6.2?

Thanks for you help.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Thank for the advice Brain, I will try and get a downtime and upgrade directly.

Can I ASK Brain, if there is any preference as to which of the Switches to upgarde first between the N7Ks  and the N5Ks?

I have vPC running betwen both.

I am thinking of upgrading the pair of N7Ks first prior to upgrading the N5Ks.

Whats your take on this?

Thanks