FRTS question

I am little confused on when and how to use the "frame-relay traffic-shaping" command.  I is my understanding that it should be used when you want to enable legacy FRTS only like the config below.  It should only be used on the main interface, not sub interfaces, and it applies to all DLCIs on the interface regardless if map class is bound to the DLCI.  If no map class is bound to the dlci it defaults to 56K correct? 

like so:

map-class frame-relay FRTS

cir...

bc....

int s0/0

encap frame-relay

frame-relay traffic-shaing

int s0/0.1 multipoint

frame-relay interfce-dlci 101

class FRTS

What would happen in the above config if I do not enable the "frame-relay traffic-shaping" interface command?  Will this disable FRTS completely?

Also if I use a service policy (MQC) in a map-class and bind this class to any DLCI on the interface I should not use this command?

i.e

service-policy output shape

int s0/0.1

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

class FRTS

Can I use legacy FRTS like above and a map-class with a service policy bound to two separate DLCIs on the same physical interface?

Sorry for all the questions just confused about this one.

Thanks

Comments

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Hi jsprang,

I answered some of the question below.   Hope this helps. 

I am little confused on when and how to use the "frame-relay traffic-shaping" command.  I is my understanding that it should be used when you want to enable legacy FRTS only like the config below.  It should only be used on the main interface, not sub interfaces, and it applies to all DLCIs on the interface regardless if map class is bound to the DLCI.  If no map class is bound to the dlci it defaults to 56K correct? 

like so:

cir...

bc....

int s0/0

encap frame-relay

frame-relay traffic-shaing

int s0/0.1 multipoint

frame-relay interfce-dlci 101

class FRTS

What would happen in the above config if I do not enable the "frame-relay traffic-shaping" interface command?  Will this disable FRTS completely?

When I forget to put this command on the interface.....FRTS will not even show up in the PVC.  ;-)

show frame pvc 101

show traffic-shape   <--- table of PVC's with shaping config

i.e

service-policy output shape

int s0/0.1

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

class FRTS

It will not work, but experiment with it.  Use the verification command.   

show frame pvc 101

If you put it directly on the interface, it will act like a template for the PVC's.   Whereas, a map-class attached to a specific PVC will override this only for that specific PVC.

In the service-policy, it is possible to affect traffic for specific DLCI's.   But I think this is outside your general questions about FRTS and where to place them.

• JoeM,

That was very helpful thanks.  One last thing.  when using a service policy inside for a frame-relay map-class if I do "show policy-map interface"  the parameters show up.  If I enable frame relay TS on the interface nothing shows up.  I also noticed that if I enable FRTS without the command nothing shows up with a "show traffic-shape" like you mentioned above.

In short if when verifing this config and using legacy FRTS if nothing shows up in the "show traffic-shape" it isn't working correct?

likewise with a policy-map embedded in a frame relay map class if "show policy-map interface" does't show anything it isn't working correct?

Thanks again.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

My understanding of FRTS (legacy) is that it is different than MQC.

I am not clear what you are doing with the policy-map (inside the map-class)

.....but these are two different things:  SHAPING vs QoS

one is traffic-shaping (legacy FRTS).    

show traffic-shape       OR      show frame pvc 101

The service-policy (placed in the map-class) should show up with....... 

show frame pvc 101  <-- the service-policy will show at the bottom of the output.

These are two commands that I have learned to use with an FRTS implementation.   

NOTE:  I am working on a lab right now, and I have a FRTS task later on. I will experiment with what you are say you are seeing in your config.

• JoeM,

Thanks again for the help. Sorry I wasn't clear using the policy map above.  I meant binding a service-policy to a map class here is my output:

R6(config)#policy-map frts
    R6(config-pmap)#class class-default

R6(config-pmap-c)#shape average 100000

R6(config-pmap-c)#map-class frame-relay frts
    R6(config-map-class)#service-policy out frts

R6(config-if)#int s1/0.1 mult

R6(config-subif)# frame-relay interface-dlci 101 

R6(config-fr-dlci)#class frts

!!when you do not enable frame relay traffic shaping you see the output of the policy map. 

R6(config-fr-dlci)#do show policy-map interface   
     Serial1/0.1: DLCI 101 -

Service-policy output: frts

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
          0 packets, 0 bytes
          5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
          Match: any
          Queueing
          queue limit 64 packets
          (queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
          (pkts output/bytes output) 0/0
          shape (average) cir 100000, bc 400, be 400
          target shape rate 100000
            lower bound cir 0,  adapt to fecn 0
    R6(config-fr-dlci)#exit

R6(config-subif)#frame-relay interface-dlci 101

!! have to remove map class won't let you enable frame-relay traffic shaping !! get this error ** Remove MQC shaped policies from !! interface/sub-interface/PVCs first.

R6(config-fr-dlci)#no class frts

R6(config-subif)#int s1/0

R6(config-if)#frame-relay traffic-shaping

R6(config-if)#int s1/0.1
    R6(config-subif)#frame-relay interface-dlci 101

!!lets me re-enable it

R6(config-fr-dlci)#class frts

R6(config-fr-dlci)#end

R6#show policy-map interface

R6#

when you enable frame-relay traffic shaping you no longer see the shaping output I assume it is because they are not compatible and it isn't working.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

You are mixing things.    You are trying to use  FRTS, but at the same time, you are doing shaping inside of the policy-map?

These are two completely separate things (two steps):

map-class    and    frame-relay traffic-shaping  for shaping (FRTS)

policy-map for QoS  (not shaping inside of FRTS).

Remove the shaping inside your policy-map, and then try to add the frame traffic-shaping command.

• What would happen in the above config if I do not enable the "frame-relay traffic-shaping" interface command?  Will this disable FRTS completely?

It is used in order to enable Legacy FRTS on an interface. Whenever you try to configured MQC based FRTS, it is not necessary though. For additional reference, I would recommend you to go through this helpful link:

http://blog.ine.com/2010/06/14/the-four-flavors-of-frame-relay-traffic-shaping/

HTH

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Great blog. Thanks Kijush.

In the QoS section of Workbook-I (online),  there are three example exercises of this "flavor" -- MQC FRTS.

10.34 MQC Based Frame-Relay Traffic Shaping

10.35 Voice Adaptive Traffic Shaping

10.36 Voice Adaptive Fragmentation