QoS - Traffic Policing on SVI - Catalyst 6509

hi everyone,

Can I get some guidance on configuring Traffic Policing on VLAN Interface on Catalyst 6509 SUP2T?

We have a lot of customers in our Data center. Each customer is located in 2 VLAN, one for internal and one for External (2210 for LAN, and 3210 for WAN).

We use a pair of 6509 with VSS as our WAN facing router. I want to put some traffic policy inplace, whether it's Policing or Shaping.

I've been reading Cisco Release Note on both and I'm stuck. I believe without the FlexWan module, I cannot perform Traffic Shaping with SUP2T. So I have Policing left. However, after reading the below line, I have a feeling that SUP2T only support Traffic Shaping in on direction, not both, on a VLAN interface.

imagePFC QoS supports the output keyword only on Layer 3 interfaces (either LAN ports configured as Layer 3 interfaces or VLAN interfaces).You can attach both an input and an output policy map to a Layer 3 interface.

Is that true? Does 6509-SUP2T only support traffic-shaping on one direction? Is there a good solution to do what we want to accomplish?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Does 6509-SUP2T only support traffic-shaping on one direction?

Shaping is only supported on the outbound direction on ANY platforms.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

We use a pair of 6509 with VSS as our WAN facing router.

I'm sorry to hear you have VSS. :)

Is there a good solution to do what we want to accomplish?

Shape outbound and police inbound.  The customers should shape on their outbound, making your inbound policer just a check to ensure the customer doesn't "get" too much bandwidth, etc.

• thanks peety. 

Actually after I read more into the Release note, it look like SUP2T doesn't support Traffic-Shaping at all.

So the only option we have now is Traffic Policing. Which I want to know if I can apply Traffic Policing on both inbound and outbound on a Layer3 VLAN INterface?

• Hi,

I had the same situation on a 7604 router. It only support policing. You define two policies and apply in in/out direction on the interface. I had a L3 interface and has not tested on any VLAN.

sample config:

policy-map police-out
     class class-default
      police cir 123456789
    policy-map police-in
     class class-default
      police cir 123456789

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
     service-policy input police-in
     service-policy output police-out

This configuration should work on 6509 as well. Please share feedback it works for you.

HTH

thanks peety. 

Actually after I read more into the Release note, it look like SUP2T doesn't support Traffic-Shaping at all.

So the only option we have now is Traffic Policing. Which I want to know if I can apply Traffic Policing on both inbound and outbound on a Layer3 VLAN INterface?

• Thanks Murad. 

I guess we just have to give it a try and see how things turn out to be.