Next CCIE Recommendations

After passing R&S and taking a month to relax. I am deciding which CCIE to attempt next. I have always thought that R&S to SP was the natural progression since there is lots of overlap. However many coworkers have suggested to do DC instead.

I know this is SP section of the forums but any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. For those of you like me with R&S and currently studying SP, do you regret it or if you had to choose again, would you do DC instead?

Comments

• It was a very smooth progrssion for me. Like you said, there is a lot of overlap so for me it just seemed as a "deeper" understanding on certain topics. I don't regret it at all, I'm actually very happy that I did it. I was able to obtain the second IE within the same year of getting my 1st one (due to the overlap and non stop study after finishing RS). 

Although it all depends on what your needs are. I was always very curious and interested in the SP side of things while doing RS. Are you more interested in DC? Will it be more relevant for you job/personal wise? Do you have gear to practice on for either one? This was a big factor for me. I did not have access to much gear, but I was able to emulate almost all of the practice topologies from the ine workbooks in GNS3 for SP. I cannot say the same about DC. Of course, you can always rent racks =) 

Now with the release of IOS-XRv you can emulate even more of it (still not 100% however). I wish I would have had this back when I was studying! =) 

Regards,

• i think SP would be easier because of the overlap , this is most likely the path i will take since i really enjoyed mpls stuff,  but i really do not want to be ignorant of DC field . Being a multiple CCIE with no knowledge of any DC topics is a scary concept ,  i will probably take DC to the ccnp level at least, or just study for general knowledge without being certified.

• Just like being a CCIE and having no ASA experience at all makes little sense. Imagine getting hired to work on a network as an IE, and when you find that they have a couple of ASAs freak out  because you have never worked on one before. If you enjoy BGP and MPLS, and were curious about ISIS, l2vpn, MPLS-TE, and Inter-AS MPLS VPN, then SP is a very good track! 

At the same time you can get caught up in the other topics but not necesarily get certified in them. I have gone through a lot of the Sec and DC trainings that INE offers, but I don't have (or plan on) going after the cert in each one of those tracks. 

• I would suggest doing SP because of overlap. It will be easier for you.

Still i won't regret doing DC too. I'll complete SP first and later prepare for DC if desired.

Cheers.

After passing R&S and taking a month to relax. I am deciding which CCIE to attempt next. I have always thought that R&S to SP was the natural progression since there is lots of overlap. However many coworkers have suggested to do DC instead.

I know this is SP section of the forums but any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. For those of you like me with R&S and currently studying SP, do you regret it or if you had to choose again, would you do DC instead?