ASA 8.2 vs 8.4 crypto isakmp/ikev vpnsetup question.

So crypto isakmp (8.2 & <) has been replaced with crypto ikev (8.4 & >). But if you go to an ASA with 8.4 or greater and run the vpnsetup command 

Step 2 says

2. Configure ISAKMP policy

crypto isakmp policy 65535

authentication pre-share

encryption aes

hash sha

and 

Step 10 says 

10. Enable isakmp on interface

crypto isakmp enable outside

Cisco doc is updated

Configuration Example for L2TP over IPsec Using ASA 8.4.1 and later

crypto ikev1 enable outside

crypto ikev1 policy 10

authentication pre-share

encryption 3des

hash sha

group 2

lifetime 86400

Configuration Example for L2TP over IPsec Using ASA 8.2.5

crypto isakmp policy 10

authentication pre-share

encryption 3des

hash sha

group 2

lifetime 86400

I guess its safe to say that the vpnsetup command has not been updated yet. My question is if you try and run the command the old way (crypto isakmp policy), on an 8.4 version or higher, the syntax is taken even though it shows Unrecognized command but it automatically converts it for you. While I expect to use the new method if I find myself on an 8.4 or greater version I am just curious if there is any difference should one use the old method (crypto isakmp policy) to configure it as against the new method (crypto ikev1 policy). 

Comments

• I haven’t noticed any differences, but it’s better to use the new version of the commands so in case you get stuck or need to see options you can do a “?”.  Otherwise the context help won’t work.
    -Dan

On Feb 10, 2014, at 6:09 AM, Cisco_Baba <[email protected]> wrote:

So crypto isakmp (8.2 & <) has been replaced with crypto ikev (8.4 & >). But if you go to an ASA with 8.4 or greater and run the vpnsetup command 

Step 2 says

2. Configure ISAKMP policy

crypto isakmp policy 65535

authentication pre-share

encryption aes

hash sha

and 

Step 10 says 

10. Enable isakmp on interface

Cisco doc is updated

Configuration Example for L2TP over IPsec Using ASA 8.4.1 and later

crypto ikev1 enable outside

crypto ikev1 policy 10

authentication pre-share

encryption 3des

hash sha

group 2

lifetime 86400

Configuration Example for L2TP over IPsec Using ASA 8.2.5

crypto isakmp policy 10

authentication pre-share

encryption 3des

hash sha

group 2

lifetime 86400

I guess its safe to say that the vpnsetup command has not been updated yet. My question is if you try and run the command the old way (crypto isakmp policy), on an 8.4 version or higher, the syntax is taken even though it shows Unrecognized command but it automatically converts it for you. While I expect to use the new method if I find myself on an 8.4 or greater version I am just curious if there is any difference should one use the old method (crypto isakmp policy) to configure it as against the new method (crypto ikev1 policy). 

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hi,

So they had to keep both command syntaxes available, so that when you upgrade fromt he old code to the new one, the commands are automatically changed for you, you don't have to do it manually offline.

At the same time, because commands are no longer available in context-sensitive help, it means that these will be no longer available at some point in time with the newer release codes. So getting used with new command syntax is a must.

Regards,

Cristian.