2.1 EIGRP Load Distribution

• One of the deciding factors in choosing EIGRP as an IGP in your
    network was the ability to do unequal cost load balancing. Therefore,
    your network design specification dictates that all traffic from hosts
    on VLAN 18 destined for hosts on VLAN 26 be load balanced across all
    links in the transit path.
  • Assume that the Frame Relay circuit between R1 and R2 is provisioned
    at 256Kbps, the circuit between R2 and R3 is provisioned at 1.28Mbps,
    and the PPP link between R1 and R3 is a full T1 of 1.536Mbps.
  • Configure your network so that R1 distributes traffic between R3 and R2 in a ratio of 5:1, respectively.

Does it really matter if I put the bandwidth's on the interfaces mentioned?  Do you think its a requirement of the task? 

My end result was a 5:1 but achived this by only modifying the delay on one interface?  I read the question the only requirement is having a ratio of 5:1 but the solution has you put the bandwidths on all the interfaces mentioned.

Andy

Comments

•  

In the following task:

2.1 EIGRP Load Distribution

• One of the deciding factors in choosing EIGRP as an IGP in your
      network was the ability to do unequal cost load balancing. Therefore,
      your network design specification dictates that all traffic from hosts
      on VLAN 18 destined for hosts on VLAN 26 be load balanced across all
      links in the transit path.
    • Assume that the Frame Relay circuit between R1 and R2 is provisioned
      at 256Kbps, the circuit between R2 and R3 is provisioned at 1.28Mbps,
      and the PPP link between R1 and R3 is a full T1 of 1.536Mbps.
    • Configure your network so that R1 distributes traffic between R3 and R2 in a ratio of 5:1, respectively.

Does it really matter if I put the bandwidth's on the interfaces mentioned?  Do you think its a requirement of the task? 

My end result was a 5:1 but achived this by only modifying the delay on one interface?  I read the question the only requirement is having a ratio of 5:1 but the solution has you put the bandwidths on all the interfaces mentioned.

Andy

What K values are being used in your topology? If the k value for bandwidth is set them bandwidth will be used to calculate the metric. 

• They have the standard K values.  I think its 1 0 1 0 0, just bandwidth and delay are used.

My question come as to the wording of the question and interpretation of bandwidth values needing to be set on the interface.

If you interpreted the question to say yes, then do you have to put the bandwidth on both sides of the link also?

Andy

• I think it is good practice to put the bandwidth on both side on the link so that the metric calculation is consistant amongst all nodes on the topology. Even if you don't put it on both sides and only the router that needs to load balance it should work fine.