TASK 3.4

3.4.  PPP

•  Configure PPP on the Serial connection between R4 and R5.

•  Use IP unnumbered for this connection and use the most reliable 

interface.

•  Disable /32 prefix generation

After using the loopback interface as the unnumbered and disabled the ppp automatic route,at this stage the routers can not ping each other despite the solution showing this being possible.They can not route the loopback addresses,this is going to be possible only when the ospf configuration is completed later on.I do not think is a GNS3 problem what do you think ?

Comments

• They can not route the loopback addresses,this is going to be possible only when the ospf configuration is completed later on.I do not think is a GNS3 problem what do you think ?

If you disable host route generation using " no peer neighbor-route" command, you can't ping the loopbacks from either side as it has been unnumbered with different networks.

Once the OSPF is configured and propogated the routers, you will be able to ping the loopbacks.

There shouldn't be GNS issue for such kind of task, you just need to check your configs.

HTH 

• Thanks Hari for your prompt respose.

I agree the solution should be modified so that does not give the impression that pinging is possible before routing is established.

I am sastified with the technical answer and I know INE got other priorities than revising vol 3 that probably wont exist anymore in the

not too distant future.

Best Regards

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

After using the loopback interface as the unnumbered and disabled the ppp automatic route,at this stage the routers can not ping each other despite the solution showing this being possible.They can not route the loopback addresses,this is going to be possible only when the ospf configuration is completed later on.I do not think is a GNS3 problem what do you think ?

Yes. You are correct. 

The solution shows that R5 can ping R4 (after removing the neighbor route). This is not correct. I am doing this on a live INE rack.

Because there is no IGP installed yet, we should not be able to ping successfully -- until there is a route installed.

This task is 3.4

Issue is fixed in 4.8  (OSPF Area 0 connection)

Feedback Ticket:  SBP-783679