What is allowed to bring and what is provided in Brussels

Hello everyone,

I'll be sitting on my 1st attemp to the CCIE Voice just one month ahead from now and I was wondering if anybody has been recently there and can tell me what can you bring into the exam (food, drink,etc...) and which materials do they give to you (pen, pencils, paper,etc....). Any other info related to this location is also welcome. Thanks!

Regards,

José Manuel

Comments

• Not sure about food but drinks are ok. I took a can of redbull (good for an energy boost in the afternoon!).

Don't see why you would need food? Lunch is included.

They give you paper and a pot of pens so need to take your own.

You get a locker for your laptop, phone etc.

• In General, only drink allowed on your desk. Food is not allowed since they don't want all the crumbs, sauce, oil & etc mess up the keyboard/desk.

Listen very very carefully to proctor instruction before lab begin, especially regarding hardware issue. U need to able to prove that. If the issue is not blocking and you decide to stay working while proctor fix it, you'll get half time back. If you're totally stuck because of that, you better step out from your desk while proctor fixing it so you'll get 100% time back.

You can ask extra paper but make sure you return ALL of them. If you forget one or somebody stole it, you'll fail. 

Only one person allow to go to rest room at one time.

Make sure you familiar with the keyboard and putty copy paste setting.

• Hi,

Agree with Andis, usually you are not allowed to bring foods & drinks on your desk. If you want to have a coffee on your desk, you are told not to spoil it on your keyboards. [;)] So, it's good idea to have it outside the exam room. Anyways, I don't think you will have time to think about these all as you may want to focus on your tasks :).

Good luck for your lab attempt.

• Hey AndiS

I am just curious about what you said here : "Make sure you familiar with the keyboard" . What is so special about the keyboard in Brussels ? 

Regards 

• He might be talking about logitech K120 keyboard but it doesn't make any difference for me. :)

• What about the copy/paste of putty ? Is select , right click copy and then right click, paste ?

• What about the copy/paste of putty ? Is select , right click copy and then right click, paste ?

Correct! 

Thanks

• OK 

I checked that keyboard and it seems like a regular keyboard, same as what I use all the time.

AndiS was talking like there was something special though, he got me thinking because I have a lab in Brussels in 10 days and it would be the first time for me in Brussels

Cheers 

• Hey AndiS

I am just curious about what you said here : "Make sure you familiar with the keyboard" . What is so special about the keyboard in Brussels ? 

US keyboard - completely different to UK or other countries layouts.  Things like the "|" move.  Not helpful if you haven't trained on the layout!

• Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I'll do my best to pass on my first attemp and I wish luck to all of you who are going to try soon. :)

•  I have a lab in Brussels in 10 days and it would be the first time for me in Brussels

Are you going to take DC lab ?

• Thanks AndiS

This is fine by me. I actually use the US keyboard everyday so I am fine with it. I typically take my lab exams in rtp or san jose but this time i am going to Brussels. It is so hard to find dates in any locations for the DC track. Much better than say 4 months ago but still not as easy compared to the R&S track.

I did not even think about the keyboard thing when booking in Brussels. I just assumed that it would be a US keyboard because I was told that this was the standard for the ccie lab. Good to hear that I won't get any surprises

Cheers

•  I have a lab in Brussels in 10 days and it would be the first time for me in Brussels

Are you going to take DC lab ?

Yes I am taking my DC lab in Brussels

• Hello All 

Just wanted to update this thread with my personal experience with the DC lab room in Brussels. I passed the CCIE DC lab exam last Monday in Brussels. 

First the keyboard, it happened to be an HP QWERTY keyboard. One thing I did not like about it is that the keys are so small, especially the "Enter" key on the right. It is small and close to the "" key that I accidentally kept pressing "Return" during the exam, it was really annoying. Literraly during the entire exam it was happening to me

The screen seemed to be a 23inch which gives a lot of real estate to work with. Same thing as in RTP anyways.

One big difference I noticed with RTP and I liked it, is that you are not working in a cubicle but rather on a large desk. You actually have a lot of room on the desk and candidates are well spaced out.. I really liked that.

I did not quite like the fact that we have to go down to the canteen for lunch. I prefer the way it is done in RTP where food is brought in ! 

Putty is the terminal used. selecting something automatically copies it and you right click to bring up a menu to paste. I am sure this is a behavior that can be changed but it was fine by me. It was close to SecureCRT default behavior where you can select text, then right click and copy and paste in one shot

Just like in RTP, documentation is really slow to access. Thank god I did not need it that much. Just checked it during my verification for one question. 

I stayed at the Holiday Inn hotel at the airport. it is only about 750m away, so it took me about 10 minutes to get there on foot. 

I cannot really comment about the proctors because I did not need them (yes I used the plural because there were 2 proctors), but they seemed nice and ready to help. 

I received my score at exactly 11:25PM the same day. 

I hope that helps

Regards 

• Congrats for your 4xCCIE !!!!

• Thanks all 

I also shared my experience in this thread 

http://ieoc.com/forums/t/28606.aspx 

Regards

• Wow! Awesome achievement blackzoz!!

IF it's possible I'd like to ask one more question about what to bring into a CCIE exam, please. Reviewing my CCIE scheluding confirmation e-mail it says :

"Please ensure that you bring photo identification, your Cisco CCO User ID, and your VUE ID to the lab."

The ID is my ID card or driver license, of course, but when it says my Cisco CCO user ID and VUE ID I imagine thet it is asking for the numbers, not any physical document,card or paper, right? Maybe it's a silly question and I apologise for it, but it'll be my 1st attempt on a CCIE and I don't want to forget anything that could prevent me from sitting in the lab...

Thanks!

• "Please ensure that you bring photo identification, your Cisco CCO User ID, and your VUE ID to the lab."

In the both lab attempts, I was only asked for my ID card. So, I used my passport as an identify card. In my case, the other stuffs like CCO user-id, VUE ids were not required & not even asked too. But, it's always good to have all the things that you are instructed to have. If you are doubtful for some reason, you can take the possible required documents along with you.

Good luck!

• Thanks Hari, I'll do my best!

Regards