Access Home Lab Remotely

Dears,

I have an Internet Wireless Modem which shows private Ips only to access.Yes it does shows Public DNS Primary and Secondary IPs.

Is there any way that I connect my Wireless Modem to 2511 Acess Server Ethernet Port  and can telnet from office.

Appreciate to tell how I can set up .

Regards

Jawwad

Comments

• Jawwad,

At first, I would like to know what kind of connectivity do you have for your internet connectivity. If you have static public IP address, it's very easy to configure your router in order to be able to telnet your access-server from the remote location. 

If you are receiving the dynamic ip address from the ISP, it's also possible but not easier like with static ip addressing.

1. In the case of static IP, just configure port forwarding in such a way that if you telnet <public ip address> , it redirects the connection towards your access-server port 23. This option is available in very low end products as well.

2. In the case of dynamic IP, you should have the feature like DDNS in order to dynamically map the public IPs with the single domain name. Once you are successful on DDNS config, you can simply configure port forwarding like I mentioned above.

HTH

• Dear Hari,

Thanks for the reply.The Internet Connectivity is via Wireless Home LTE Modem.

The Modem is assigned a fixed private ip 10.1.1.100 and my Access Server Ethernet Port ip is 10.1.1.50.

there is no Public IP assigned to my wireless LTE modem to access remotely.Its private.

I was thing if I know the DNS ip is there any work around for it.

Thanks

• The Modem is assigned a fixed private ip 10.1.1.100 and my Access Server Ethernet Port ip is 10.1.1.50.

there is no Public IP assigned to my wireless LTE modem to access remotely.Its private.

So, your ISP is providing you the private IP address, right? If that is so, the configuration of port forwarding is not possible in your end since you don't have a globally routable address at your premise.

Not sure whether it would be feasible for your case or not but you can ask your service provider to configure port redirection towards 10.1.1.50 for telnet connectivity with the public address & port nubmer xx or yy etc, then you will be able to access your access-server using "telnet <public-ip-address> xx from the remote location.

HTH

• You should be able to log into your home computer (if you have) using some sort of remote control software. Not directly, but via a cloud based solution.

Then you can log into the labrouter from your home PC

Check out Teamviewer.com, should have a solution.

• Hi ,

Sorry I found that the Port Forwarding is Possible and also I am able to find the Public IP address after consulting the Customer support.Here are the details of Wireless Router.

LAN
    IP:  10.1.1.254
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    MAC address: 00:1F:FB:44:D4:F8

WAN
    Type: DHCP
    IP: 188.248.82.107
    Netmask: 255.255.128.0
    Gateway: 188.248.0.1
    ISP DNS: 94.77.215.126 94.77.249.126
    But when I telnet 188.248.82.107 it access the Wireless Modem(10.1.1.254) insted of 10.1.1.50 

Here are the details of Forwarding which I made on Wireless Modem.

Name :   Cisco2511
    Protocol:   UDP/TCP
    WAN Port Begin:   23
    WAN Port End:    23
    Lan Port Begin:   23
    Lan Port End:   23
    Server IP :  10.1.1.50

I also define the default route in Access Server.
    Appreciate to know.
    I can use team viewer but for that I have to arange another Laptop.ThanksJawwad
  • Sorry I found that the Port Forwarding is Possible and also I am able to find the Public IP address after consulting the Customer support.Here are the details of Wireless Router.

LAN

Okey, that's great news! [8-|]

Now, I believe that the only issue here could be the port forwarding configuration on your modem.

You have to map the global address & port number with local address & the port in order to be able to redirect your telnet connection towards the access-server. Really not sure how you did it, but keep trying with different options. If the default port number doesn't allow, you may use customized port numbers like 8080 etc. as well. Also, check your firewall configuration, just to make sure that you are not being denied for it.

Good luck!

• Like Hari suggested to try different configuration optoions. I will suggest u do wireshark while testing. See where your telnet connection end up when u try telnet to the modem.

HTH

Hi ,

Sorry I found that the Port Forwarding is Possible and also I am able to find the Public IP address after consulting the Customer support.Here are the details of Wireless Router.

LAN

WAN

Type: DHCP
    IP: 188.248.82.107
    Netmask: 255.255.128.0
    Gateway: 188.248.0.1
    ISP DNS: 94.77.215.126 94.77.249.126

But when I telnet 188.248.82.107 it access the Wireless Modem(10.1.1.254) insted of 10.1.1.50 

Here are the details of Forwarding which I made on Wireless Modem.

Name :   Cisco2511
    Protocol:   UDP/TCP
    WAN Port Begin:   23
    WAN Port End:    23
    Lan Port Begin:   23
    Lan Port End:   23
    Server IP :  10.1.1.50

I also define the default route in Access Server.
    Appreciate to know.
    I can use team viewer but for that I have to arange another Laptop.ThanksJawwad

• Thanks Hari and Murad.I will try wire shark to to know where it goes wrong.

Regards