6 Days from Lab

I am 6 days away from my first Lab Date which is on Jan 6th.  I am feeling nervouse and exhausted at the same time since I have been studying non-stop.  I feel like my brain cannot take anymore in but yet there are topics left that I need to train on.  I don't feel confident that I have what it takes to pass the test.  Is this a normal feeling for first-timer?  I really really really want to pass it the first time.  Any suggestion on what I should do is much appreciated.

Comments

• Have you tried INE mock lab ? You'll get feeling where you're right now.

• Yes. I got 36 from a level 9 exam

• Real lab is around 7.5 so try level 7 and level 8.

Simulate whole day exams (8am-5pm) to get you into the "zone" for couple of days. Take day off if needed.

Try also INE trouble shooting mock lab. Trouble shooting is the most intense one. Target around 5-7 min/question.

• If you take in San Jose, read this article to get you familiar with test environment:

http://ieoc.com/forums/t/17446.aspx

• Your core understanding should hopefully be fairly bullet
    proof by now, I would be doing a few realistic practice labs, trying to
    optimize and speed up your troubleshooting skills, while going over none-core
    topics like netflow, 802.1x etc... I guess you probably have not spent a massive
    amount of time on these compared to other areas (like OSPF, EIGRP), however a quick refresher could save you valuable
    minuets if any of them pop up in your exam.

Good luck and I hope you pass on the first time,
    realistically not many people can manage that! So be prepared for it and learn
    as much as you about any of your weaknesses and the exam layout. Basically if
    you don't pass, it's not just an expensive lunch, it's a valuable learning experience
    for your next attempt.

Enjoy it!

• I know speed will be my biggest weakness.  After all I have been only seriously studying for 3 months.  The reason I have to take it because my written is about to expire.  It's actually good timing because I will have another 5 months to make another attempt with the current version.  Thanks for all input.  I will try my best.

• You have five months before the new exam, but it's going to
    be harder to find an available exam seat as each day goes on with everyone
    rushing to get another attempt in.

• Hi,

I'm available to work with you. To try to answer to your questions and doubts in order to pass your exam.

As many say, you've to pass your attempt because no seat will be available before June so it' better to pass your exam.

Don't hesitate to send me a private or public e-mail.

Tipos:

- read carefully the whole topic before begin config

- draw physical diagram and logical diagram quickly as possible

- use notepad for repetitive configs and TCL script.

Good luck in your exam.

• Last but not the least, while doing the practice labs, please take care of time management. Its very important to simulate this critical part of the exam.

Good luck with your attempt!

Murad

I am 6 days away from my first Lab Date which is on Jan 6th.  I am feeling nervouse and exhausted at the same time since I have been studying non-stop.  I feel like my brain cannot take anymore in but yet there are topics left that I need to train on.  I don't feel confident that I have what it takes to pass the test.  Is this a normal feeling for first-timer?  I really really really want to pass it the first time.  Any suggestion on what I should do is much appreciated.

• Kalmogo is spot on with his advice. Ensure you do the diagrams showing the trunk links, vlans, svi, and routed ports. This will save you time and mistakes later on.

And defintely read all the questions.

Best of luck!

Hi,

I'm available to work with you. To try to answer to your questions and doubts in order to pass your exam.

As many say, you've to pass your attempt because no seat will be available before June so it' better to pass your exam.

Don't hesitate to send me a private or public e-mail.

Tipos:

- read carefully the whole topic before begin config

- draw physical diagram and logical diagram quickly as possible

- use notepad for repetitive configs and TCL script.

Good luck in your exam.

• I feel like my brain cannot take anymore in but yet there are topics left that I need to train on.  I don't feel confident that I have what it takes to pass the test.  Is this a normal feeling for first-timer?  I really really really want to pass it the first time.  Any suggestion on what I should do is much appreciated.

You may feel quite nervous for the first time since you are not aware of the lab environment. My suggestion for you is not to hesitate and don't remember the time & money you have spent on it. Hopefully, this would be your successful attempt. :)

Good luck!

• This is one of the thing I am debating whether or not to draw a logical and physical diagram.  I have been doing that in all of my Volumn II labs.  It takes me about 20min to draw 2 diagrams using different color for different protocol.  It helps me mostly for the IGP redistribution. Other than that, i find myself keep looking at the original drawing.  So I am not sure it's worth it spend 20min to re-draw.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

I wanted to pass the first time too, but I settled for the tenth (good news: I kept trying, bad news: I'm stubborn in how I learn).

If I were you, my focus would be on maximizing the value of the trip so I could pass the second time. Especially if you don't have confidence.  Be sure your in-exam checklist is robust enough to help you walk out of the room with a solid memory of the exam, then dump it to a voice memo on your phone and immediately work to recreate as much of the exam as you can.  Once you get your scores, recreate the exam in your (rental?) rack, and seek to score 100% on a real lab.  "If you can't pass an exam that you have seen, why return to take an exam you haven't seen?"

Do you have a solid feel for verifications? Are you building the equivalent of a grading script in any of your mock lab work?  Use that as a mental check to be sure you're solving the questions as written.  In other words, read the question, write out some commands that would display if you've solved the question, solve the question, and check your work.  If you can't figure out how to grade the question, you probably can't figure out how to solve the question AS WRITTEN.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

I know speed will be my biggest weakness.  After all I have been only seriously studying for 3 months.  The reason I have to take it because my written is about to expire.  It's actually good timing because I will have another 5 months to make another attempt with the current version.  Thanks for all input.  I will try my best.

There's no shame in taking the written again, and it's >70% cheaper than a lab attempt.

• I think the physical diagram is a must to draw, and you should be able to do it in 10 mins.

You can contact me directly if you would like to go through drawing a diagram for that.

• I am 6 days away from my first Lab Date which is on Jan 6th.  I am feeling nervouse and exhausted at the same time since I have been studying non-stop.

Everyone feels nervous - after all getting to the lab is a big investment - in time and money.  If you are good enough you will pass - however it's a very easy exam to fail - so don't beat yourself up.

If you think you are going to fail early on e.g. after TS. Then use the attempt as learning experience.

I think you may need to scale back a little on your study if you feel burned out - as you need to be in tip top shape on the day.

Also make sure you get a good night's sleep - something that has evaded me on my previous attempts!

• You have five months before the new exam, but it's going to
    be harder to find an available exam seat as each day goes on with everyone
    rushing to get another attempt in.

Dubai is a good option if you are in Europe or Asia - still plenty of seats - not so good for the US though

• Saw the tip on twitter to watch daily as those who have no chance or already passed will cancel before their 3-month deadline.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Saw the tip on twitter to watch daily as those who have no chance or already passed will cancel before their 3-month deadline.

Say what?  Those who already passed can't possibly cancel another date, as they can't book another date for at least three years (translation: they don't renew their CCIE and let it lapse, then return for another round of fun).

• Saw the tip on twitter to watch daily as those who have no chance or already passed will cancel before their 3-month deadline.

You have to pay for your attempt 90 days out.  So some seats may become available in your preferred localation!  The other alternative is to travel further a field.

Use this Powershell command to find out what the dates you will be looking at -

(Get-Date).AddDays(90)

• Yeah, sounds like someone assumed that you could book multiple dates in advance. You can of course only book one lab in advance, so any dates that open up will only be because people dropped dates because they weren't ready, not because they have already passed. 

I figure there's still ~2 months when we'll see dates maybe open up (due to ppl dropping before 90 days), then it will be booked solid. Unless of course they open some Saturday dates at some locations, as they did for the last CCIE Security blueprint change

On Friday, January 3, 2014, peety wrote:

imagethat1guy15:

Saw the tip on twitter to watch daily as those who have no chance or already passed will cancel before their 3-month deadline.

Say what?  Those who already passed can't possibly cancel another date, as they can't book another date for at least three years (translation: they don't renew their CCIE and let it lapse, then return for another round of fun).

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Hi Heavyd,

this is ABSOLUTELY normal. Remember to leave the last day for doing one single task : NOTHING.  It is counter intuitive of course but it is absolutely necessary to perform at your best during the exam. the info you retain in your brain won't fly away for one or two days. After this, it is very important to convince yourself to enjoy this experience. It is expensive and hard to prepare , ture. But if you do not prepare yourself to enjoy that experience you will just feel nervous and you may misss a solution which can make the difference. 

There actually is a weekend before your exam. Take some hours off and do not think about Cisco stuff. In this way your brain will be able to absorbe more and more and you will maximise your performance !

Good Luck 

come back winner!!

• Hi Heavyd,

this is ABSOLUTELY normal. Remember to leave the last day for doing one single task : NOTHING.  It is counter intuitive of course but it is absolutely necessary to perform at your best during the exam. the info you retain in your brain won't fly away for one or two days. After this, it is very important to convince yourself to enjoy this experience. It is expensive and hard to prepare , ture. But if you do not prepare yourself to enjoy that experience you will just feel nervous and you may misss a solution which can make the difference. 

There actually is a weekend before your exam. Take some hours off and do not think about Cisco stuff. In this way your brain will be able to absorbe more and more and you will maximise your performance !

Good Luck 

come back winner!!

LOL...I am here in Raleigh's hotel typing away and still practicing.  The exam is tomorrow.  The way my mind works is that I have to keep my mind engaged all the time.  I might not forget if I don't but it will take me awhile to warm up.  It's 3:30pm EST. I willl take your advice and go see a movie or something.  Thanks.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

LOL...I am here in Raleigh's hotel typing away and still practicing.  The exam is tomorrow.  The way my mind works is that I have to keep my mind engaged all the time.  I might not forget if I don't but it will take me awhile to warm up.  It's 3:30pm EST. I willl take your advice and go see a movie or something.  Thanks.

There is a good game starting in about 10 minutes.   49ers vs Packers

Temperatures:  

5°F   -15°C

Feels Like -9°F

With windchill, may be down to    -22F   (-30c)

Should be a crazy game playing on ice.

• Definitely give your mind a rest this evening - Good Luck![Y]

• LOL...I am here in Raleigh's hotel typing away and still practicing.  The exam is tomorrow.  The way my mind works is that I have to keep my mind engaged all the time.  I might not forget if I don't but it will take me awhile to warm up.  It's 3:30pm EST. I willl take your advice and go see a movie or something.  Thanks.

I've been there 3 times already to take labs...every single time, I take a drive to building 3 the night before as part of my 'ritual'. I like to drive there when its dark so that I have no problems getting there the next day in the morning while its still dark. There is a starbucks very close by, so I also like to stop there and drink the coffee while I'm in the car.

If you get there and get out of your car before 7 AM, you will see a sign on the door about 'severe weather warning'. Don't worry about that, it's been there for over 1 year (don't think that just because its really cold in Raleigh right now that they put this sign up and your lab will be canceled or something). 

All 3 times that I've been there, there has been a Cisco employee (or more) taking the lab as well. They have badges to open the doors, so they open up and allow the other candidates to come in and sit in the lobby while we wait for the proctor (David) to come. He's been nice (fair and not an a**hole like others have said) during all of my lab attempts. Leave all electronics in your car...You can leave them in your locker as well though. 

Its a nice comfortable testing center. You have a fridge with water, soda and other refreshments in your room. You can get up at any time and help yourself. I always like to bring my own snacks so that I can chew on stuff while labbing (snicker bar, starburst, etc). You will be allowed to bring this in, as well as drinks, powerade, coffee, etc if you want to. 

I'm sure everyone has said this already, but GET SOME GOOD SLEEP! And also, get a good breakfast...2 of the most important things. Avoid alchohol tonight. Relax...watch tv...get off your rack. You'll be on one all day tomorrow!

Good luck! Let us know how you do =) 

Pablo 

• Packers just lost to 49ers field goal good luck tomorrow on your lab exam man. I have my TSHoot tomorrow, passing that I'll have my CCNP tomorrow

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

JoeM <[email protected]>;

To:

<[email protected]>;

Subject:

Re: [CCIE R&S General] 6 Days from Lab

Sent:

Mon, Jan 6, 2014 12:38:13 AM

imageheavyd:

There is a good game starting in about 10 minutes.   49ers vs Packers

Temperatures:  

5°F   -15°C

Feels Like -9°F

With windchill, may be down to    -22F   (-30c)

Should be a crazy game playing on ice.

• Unless you are flush with cash I would opt for retaking the written.  If you have been studying for three months, there are many more pitfalls than speed.

R/w

On Jan 6, 2014, at 8:56 AM, peety <[email protected]> wrote:

imageheavyd:

I know speed will be my biggest weakness.  After all I have been only seriously studying for 3 months.  The reason I have to take it because my written is about to expire.  It's actually good timing because I will have another 5 months to make another attempt with the current version.  Thanks for all input.  I will try my best.

There's no shame in taking the written again, and it's >70% cheaper than a lab attempt.

• Sounds like I was wrong. 

Sorry about that.