Smacked Down by Cisco CCIE Assessor Lab v1.6 - Anyone Else Take This???

Hi Guys/Gals,

So I am about 3 weeks away from my first lab attempt. I took IE's Mock Lab #5 last week and was feeling ok about the score - 77 - but knowing that I still have work to do in the last few weeks - especially on my weaker areas like Security, QoS, IP Svcs. I decided to purchase both Cisco CCIE Assessor labs and took the first one last Thursday. I was beat down by the score - a whopping 50% *arrgh* - the worst I have ever scored on any Mock Lab to date.

Now by my count the grading script marked about 15-18% wrong when I feel that I met the requirements of the task, but not exactly in the way they wanted. I didn't violate the requirements - just didn't use the tool they wanted, i.e. (No NDA violations here....don't worry) I would choose a distribute list when they were maybe looking for a different filtering method. They didn't specify which method to use so I chose my own.....the end result in the routing table was the same....but no points for the task.

In addition - the wording to the questions was "cryptic" to say the least. I had a hard time understanding what they wanted and what the actual requirements were. I have been through IE's Vol1-3 workbooks more than once + 4 Mock Labs and this is the worst wording I have seen.

Anyone else out there taken the Assessor's and felt the same way? Or I am I in for a big surprise in a few weeks with the actual lab. I am hoping by venting that someone can calm me down and at least let me know the real lab isn't as bad with the grading & wording as this first Assessor lab seemed. Can anyone comment on how the real lab wording was compared to these Assessor's? (no NDA violations obviously....just a general comparison).

Thanks......

Comments

• Hi,

I never used the CCIE Assessor Labs 1 but I have used the Mock Labs and specifically Lab 5.  Having sat for my lab yesterday I wouldn't worry too much about the Assessor labs if you are scoring that well on the other labs.  Most people seem to say the lab is comparable to between a 6 and 7 and I would probably agree with that. 

Hope this helps.

• I have not taken them but, I have heard that about the Assessor labs. I was thinking about taking them but may just do the mock labs instead. I think the $400 will be better spent doing the mock labs. 

• Thanks for the reply....the Assessor didn't help calm my nerves down, but I will manage. I am going to take the second one this week, so hopefully that one will turn out a little better. I think your confidence waivers in the final few weeks (mine sure has) so I could have gone without that hit to my ego, but I did get some good insight into how the grading script works along with some unfamiliar phrasing of questions.....

How did your lab experience go? Did you use IE's products exclusively? How would you compare the phrasing of questions in IE's materials to the real lab?

Thanks......

• gbarden.....thanks for the reply.....

I am going to take the 2nd Assessor this week but based on the first one, I would agree that the mock labs are a better value regarding the testing of the technologies themselves. There is good value in getting different styles of questions presented to you and the insight from the grading script is helpful even though it is very subjective to the solution they want, but the jury is still out for me on the first Assessor....I am hoping that the real exam is pretty straight-forward in how they ask questions as compared to the first Assessor.....bext of luck to you....

• As I said I can't specifically speak to the assessor labs but if you are scoring in the high 70's you should be fine from that perspective.  Unfortunately, I didn't pass but I think nerves had alot to do with it.  From I a pure test perspective it was about what I thought it would be as far as difficulty.  The questions were fairly straight forward in you read them carefully and the proctors were helpful.  I used mostly IE products but always CCbootcamp as well.  I just want to see wording of the questions from a different vendor.  Having experienced it now I am confident that I will pass next time.  I think the uncertainty adds alot to it.  It isn't as bad as you probably have it in your mind.  Judging by your Mock Labs score you have a firm grasp on the core technologies so my recommendation would be to know the Doc CD well and review some of the more obsecure features that is where I got caught up and lost a lot of time.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

• Thanks for the insight Wayne......hope to see some digits by your name soon.....

• fred_b..I took Assessor 1.6 last night and I understand what you are saying. I scored 58%..RRRH also. I did make some stupid mistakes but some of the answers I had the correct result but did not acomplish the way they wanted.  I am scheduled to take 2.0 on Friday. How did you do on the 2nd one?

• I think the second one was a little more fair.....but I still scored 66%. Most of this was my fault with the exception of a few questions that again look for the exact syntax vs. the actual result they ask for. I am not a fan of these, but they did teach me a lesson to always be as specific as possible...if nothing else I learned that. I am just hoping the real lab focuses more on grading the actual result that meets requirements vs. the syntax......we'll see soon....good luck to you on the 2.0 test....

• fred_b...

I took the 2nd Assessor and didn't do as well as I had hoped. I made some stupid mistakes and along with that they were having network issues and caused me to lose my connection twice. Overall I feel pretty good though. At least I know now what to expect. I have scheduled some mock labs and am taking the actual lab in October. Do you have any advice on which mock labs to take? Also, have you taken your lab yet and if so how would you compare to the Assessor's?