Maximum session in MTP - RSVP configuration

Hi all,

I am configuring IOS MTP for RSVP which permits four concurrent calls between two sites:

sccp local FastEthernet0/0

sccp ccm 10.15.242.66 identifier 1 version 7.0

sccp ccm 10.15.242.64 identifier 2 version 7.0

sccp

!

sccp ccm group 1

associate ccm 1 priority 1

associate ccm 2 priority 2

associate profile 2 register HQ-RSVP-MTP

!

dspfarm profile 2 mtp 

codec g729r8

codec pass-through

rsvp

maximum sessions software 4

associate application SCCP

!

So, the maximum session for four concurrent calls should be 4 or 8 ?

Please clarify for me?

Thanks,

Thuc

Comments

• Hi

For 4 calls you will need max sess soft 8.

This is because for 1 call two call legs will be there i.e inbound and outbound.

And 2 mtp will be there for 1 call, 1 for inbound and 1 for outbound.

Hence, for 4 concurrent calls it should be set to 8.

• Hi,

But I did lab and tested with max session 4, it still worked with 4 concurrents call.

Maybe, I am wrong?

Anybody clarify for me?

Thanks,

Thuc

• Hi

did you gave the configured MTP only in the MRG or there were default one's present also?

if default one's were also there maybe other calls might have used those MTP.

But I m not sure..

• Kethucbk,
         I'm not sure if you got my other message.  The 4 session equates to 4 calls.  You are correct. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 29, 2013, at 11:50 AM, kethucbk <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

But I did lab and tested with max session 4, it still worked with 4 concurrents call.

Maybe, I am wrong?

Anybody clarify for me?

Thanks,

Thuc

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • It is 4. If you look at the show sccp output it will show 8 streams are allowed for 4 sessions.

• Hi

Though your calls work with max sess soft = 4.

In case of MTP the sess should be kept greater than or equal to the number of calls.

Setting it to greater than is better because in case your MTP is to be utilised at some other place it won't work properly and it can lead to problems because other resources also need access to MTP.

• Hi all,

I think 4 is correct. If we set more than 4, it is still ok.

Thanks for help.

Thuc

• Insomniac_phantom,
         I think there is a distinction, at least in the way I read it, with regards to straight MTP versus MTP with RSVP for CAC.  If it's straight MTP, yes...using at LEAST 4 would be required in order to get 4 calls through.  If you involve RSVP, then you get into the bandwidth requirements of CAC and Region for codec specificity.  

The way I read kethucbk's question, which I could have read incorrectly, it was more in line with the 'minimum' requirements to complete the task.  Whether it is straight MTP or whether it leverages RSVP for CAC, that answer is 4.  When you get into the 'overhead' of comparing 20ms and 30ms codecs, then you get into some variability.  

Mike

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM, insomniac_phantom <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi

Though your calls work with max sess soft = 4.

In case of MTP the sess should be kept greater than or equal to the number of calls.

Setting it to greater than is better because in case your MTP is to be utilised at some other place it won't work properly and it can lead to problems because other resources also need access to MTP.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hi Michael

I m not saying that you should not give max sessions software 4. I just want to say that usually it should be kept greater to ensure that it does not create problems when your some other resources request its use.

Giving session equal to 4 is also correct.