Design knowledge for CCIE R&S engineer

Hello everybody,

I always have this question in my mind. How much design knowledge is good for a person having CCIE R&S certification. Off course CCDE is good. but its not easy to get. How about going for CCDP. Is CCDP level knowledge enough for a network engineer having CCIE R&S?  Network engineer with CCIE has most of the time design work as well. Please share your experience while being CCIE and not having any design certification level knowledge. Currently i am studying for CCIE R&S lab exam.

Thanks

Comments

• I think CCIE RnS/CCNP RnS etc provide a good hands on on configuration and troubleshooting and you are right, in the process a lot of them are also doing design work. Some people try to go for design before they can configure and troubleshoot and I find that moot i.e. CCDP minus CCNP RnS. CCDP RnS should be a good yardstick to  build on the experience  in configuration and troubleshooting and solidify your design experience(which you likely already have as a CCIE) and CCDE would then be taking it to the next level....note that unfortunately dumps tend to fuzz things up by creating false sense of confidence for alot of those P level exams but true Ps with experience should be quite strong.

• Hello everybody,

I always have this question in my mind. How much design knowledge is good for a person having CCIE R&S certification. Off course CCDE is good. but its not easy to get. How about going for CCDP. Is CCDP level knowledge enough for a network engineer having CCIE R&S?  Network engineer with CCIE has most of the time design work as well.

Thanks

Hi Murad,

Only having the certifications doesn't matter at all. Unless you have good configuration and troubleshooting skill, it's not worth to get certified. So, trust your knowledge level & keep on working for CCIE R&S. Personally, I believe that the design skill is really important for a CCIE rather than only having configuration & troubleshooting skill. If you have good understanding of the technology, product features & design issues, you can work on planning & designing aspects. Basically it's not achieved through theoritical knowledge & certification stuff, you need some experience with it instead. So, you can keep on working with technologies, design guides etc, which helps you having good understanding over design through Cisco design documentation as well. If you are working somewhere, you can study the entire network from ground level, that will help you understanding the design stuff in some extent.

Good luck!