IPv6 link-local address

Hi all,

if the exam does not ask to configure a specific link-local address, is it against any rule to always configure with an fe80:x address instead of using the default fe80::MAC generated by the router? 

Comments

• Hi all,

if the exam does not ask to configure a specific link-local address, is it against any rule to always configure with an fe80:x address instead of using the default fe80::MAC generated by the router? 

I think you can't change it unless you are explicitly told to do so. If you need to configure the IPv6 add/link-local, it is given in the IPv6 diagram or sometimes they give the initial configuration with basic IPv6 address configured. So, it's good idea not to change anything other than the task scope.

HTH

• Hi all,

I think you can't change it unless you are explicitly told to do so. If you need to configure the IPv6 add/link-local, it is given in the IPv6 diagram or sometimes they give the initial configuration with basic IPv6 address configured. So, it's good idea not to change anything beyond the task scope.

HTH

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I think you can't change it unless you are explicitly told to do so. If you need to configure the IPv6 add/link-local, it is given in the IPv6 diagram or sometimes they give the initial configuration with basic IPv6 address configured. So, it's good idea not to change anything other than the task scope.

HTH

Ouch!    I would really like to get verification on this.

I have already built this into my routine of assigning IPv6 addresses (in the workbook labs).   I automatically apply  FE80::X  link-local             

This makes reading ouput and verification so much easier.

• It is in your best interests to explicitly configure the link-local addresses. 

On 16/11/2013, at 4:17 am, heavyd <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all,

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

It is in your best interests to explicitly configure the link-local addresses. 

Northlandboy,

Thanks for clearing that up.  Much appreciated.

• I can't find the reference right now, but at one of the Cisco Live sessions, the CCIE program manager said you should configure them.

Note that Hari's saying you can't change it from what they've told you, but if they've already told you to use FE80:::1 for R1, then you're not going to choose anything else anyway.

There's two reasons for setting it:

1/ It makes your life much easier when you need to configure Frame-Relay mappings, etc.

2/ If you need a re-read, your config is going to be loaded on a different rack. If you haven't explicitly configured link-local addresses, your routing config will probably break.

• Thanks.  I figure it's ok since the Workbook solutions always do.

• Thanks.  I figure it's ok since the Workbook solutions always do.

Yes, most of the time you can refer to the workbook solution guide but not always because of the errors. So, keep discussing if you are doubtful to anything in the SG.

Good luck!

• You can configure it yourself and shouldn't be a problem unless not asked to do so.

On the flip side I don't see reasons of doing it other than on Frame Relay interfaces where you would need to specify those manually in Frame Relay Map Statements.

• You can configure it yourself and shouldn't be a problem unless not asked to do so.

On the flip side I don't see reasons of doing it other than on Frame Relay interfaces where you would need to specify those manually in Frame Relay Map Statements.

Its really useful to configure link-local in all cases, not just frame.  I would configure it on Ethernet and Frame becuase all your IGP's peer with link local, PIM adjacencies will be link-local so it makes troubleshooting and verifications tons easier.

Nick

• Yes, it has similar importance on all kind of scenario. Usually we configure link-local address for the FR interfaces in order to have simpler mapping statement from the manageability point of view, but other technologies like multicast  and dynamic routing protocols work on the basis of link-local address. So, for the easier troubleshooting & clear visiblity of the configuration/scenario, it's good to have explicit link-local address configuration.