2 weeks to go for 1st attempt - this is going to hurt

I took the Graded Troubleshooting Topology 1 - Lab 1 yesterday and got a big fat 0.  In all questions I found the answer but was not able to implement the solution in time.  I tried my best to practice good time management but still was not successful at that either.  There were three questions that I didn't even look at due to time.

I can definitely see that you really do only have 10 minutes per
question.  If you stay longer than that - even if you are "SO CLOSE" -
you must assume you are taking a 0 on a question down the
list.

Obviously this does not bode well for my actual lab in 2 weeks.  I've clearly got some preparation issues I've got to overcome.

I think my main objective has to be to stay on plan during the exam (using checklists, staying aware of points, focusing on reachability and time management) and if I run into a similar situation where I can see I'm in trouble, I avoid panicking and flopping around like a fish out of water and get as many points as I can.

I'm going to stay at 30-40 hours a week of study time until the lab and will be doing everything I can to pass - hoping the questions that I see are my strong areas vs my weak ones, etc.

Anyone have any "last minute" advice for a situation like this?  I'm feeling really de-moralized but definitely haven't given up hope of passing.  I've put a lot of time into my studies and feel really strong about a lot of things but it seems I might be just missing that one more level where everything clicks together.

Comments

• With a BF0, you probably need to address strategy.  Go back through each ticket and gather up all of the commands you used, then see if you can sort them into a logical sequence and trim away unneeded commands.  Consider it a game of "I can troubleshoot that ticket in 10 commands", then work your way down to perhaps 3 commands.

In the real exam, you could argue that you have 12 minutes per question, but honestly I'd approach it as 8 minutes per question and I'd really try to limit myself to just 5 minutes on your first attempt to solve ticket 1.  Use it as a way to avoid getting sucked in, move onto other tickets, and come back to it later when you can spend the other 7 minutes (if not more, in the hopes you spent <12 minutes on at least one ticket) allotted to this ticket.  (Do read the rules to see if there are any dependencies, and pay attention to the topology as you go if the rules tell you that dependencies are possible.)

Also spend some time developing a strategy to verify your ticket results.  Obviously some of the tickets will give you a one-liner, but if you can get into the habit of reading the question and assessing how you'd grade the tickets, you can more accurately _know_ your score rather than hope/pray.  This will carry very well into the config section also.

• peety,

Your suggestion of taking the commands used to isolate the problem and simplify the process further and further is really good one.

I found one where I was tracking of a routing table issue and looking at IGP neighbors for a short time before I realized the relevant interface wasn't even up.  (HAND TO FOREHEAD)

I feel pretty stupid right now but at the same time I don't feel like I didn't get the points because of complete ineptitude.  I feel it was more of an issue of efficiency and lack of experience with a time crunch.  Maybe it's easy when labbing for learning to take a laid back approach to everything.

Thanks for the suggestions, they are good ones!

• You've got to decide for YOU how you want to approach it.  I think I use a modified divide-and-conquer approach: can I ping?  If not, go down the stack.  If so, go up (check routing protocols).  Etc.