custom queue to mqc conversion

I've seen some examples about this issue, but I'd like a definitive word on it.

I think the conversion changes whether you have a default statement in the cq or not and/or if the total of the byte count equals 100, 1000, 10000 or whatever other number that let's you quickly convert into percentages.

For example if I have the following configuration

1 www - byte count 3000

2 telnet - byte count 5000

3 icmp - byte count 500

Then the conversion to mqc would NOT be 30% to www, 50% to telnet and 5% to icmp but instead (3000/8500)=35% to www, (5000/8500)=59% to telnet and (500/8500)=6% to icmp.

However everything changes is if I have a "default" statement in the cq config. If the byte-count is not stated then it equals to 1500 byte, now in this case the total byte count is 10000 which let us easily convert everything in neat percentages because in this case it's (3000/10000)=30% to www etc. So only in this case the byte count can be easily converted into percentages, however if the byte-count for the default queue is stated and it's different than 1500 then the total byte count is no more 10000 and the mqc percentages would no more resemble the cq byte-count.

Is this correct?

Comments

• Also another doubt, if I do not specify a default queue how is the unmatched traffic handled, it does pass, I've tested it, but which queue takes care of it? is it considered a mistake not to provision a default queue with CQ?

• Hi marco,

You don't have to explicitly define the default class, it is applied automatically and all the traffic that was not matched by other classes would be matched with the class-default. Yes, if you need to change something in the default class, then you have to specifically get into the "class-default". I think default queueing method would be "FIFO" for faster links like ethernet/fastethernet but the slowest link like serial would have "fair-queue" as the default.

Hope this helps!

• Hi marco,

You don't have to explicitly define the default class, it is applied automatically and all the traffic that was not matched by other classes would be matched with the class-default. Yes, if you need to change something in the default class, then you have to specifically get into the "class-default". I think default queueing method would be "FIFO" for faster links like ethernet/fastethernet but the slowest link like serial would have "fair-queue" as the default.

Hope this helps!

Hi, this is true for mqc, but I was talking about CQ which to my knowledge has no class default unless you explicitly define a queue to be the default "basket" for all the packets not explicitly classified in the other queues.

My question, aside from the main problem of performing the conversion from cq to mqc percentages, was: if I do not define the default queue in cq, which queue do all unmatched packets go in?

• As I remember, you have to define the default queue explicitly with "quque-list x default y" command. For additional calrity, you can check for "show queueing" output without configuring default queue-list.

Good luck!