3.18 OER Control & Verify Phase

In this lab requirements, it tells us to enable OER to control routes in the network domain ... Ok, simple enough. That was already done in the previous task with the mode route control command and then I look on the solutions guide, under the oer-map 10, it has set mode route observe. Why does this command needed for this task, especially when observe mode doesn't control routes. It just "observes" them...

Also, I configured the BGP route-metric local-pref to 6000 on the Master, but the BGP routes' LP manipulated by OER is stil showing up with the default of 5000. Any ideas of why it is doing that? Possibly an IOS bug...?

Rack1R5#sh oer master

OER state: ENABLED and ACTIVE

Conn Status: SUCCESS, PORT: 3949

Version: 2.1

Number of Border routers: 3

Number of Exits: 4

Number of monitored prefixes: 4 (max 5000)

Max prefixes: total 5000 learn 2500

Prefix count: total 4, learn 3, cfg 2

Border           Status   UP/DOWN             AuthFail  Version

150.1.3.3        ACTIVE   UP       01:30:05          0  2.1

150.1.2.2        ACTIVE   UP       01:33:02          0  2.1

150.1.5.5        ACTIVE   UP       01:32:33          0  2.1

Global Settings:

max-range-utilization percent 10 recv 0

mode route metric bgp local-pref 6000

mode route metric static tag 1000

trace probe delay 1000

logging

Rack1R5#sh oer border routes bgp

BGP table version is 48, local router ID is 150.1.5.5

Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal,

r RIB-failure, S Stale

Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

OER Flags: C - Controlled, X - Excluded, E - Exact, N - Non-exact, I - Injected

Network          Next Hop        OER    LocPrf Weight Path

*>i150.1.1.0/24     155.1.37.7      XN      5000      0 300 100 i

*>i150.1.4.0/24     155.1.37.7      XN      5000      0 300 100 i

*>i150.1.6.0/24     155.1.13.1      XN      5000      0 100 i

Rack1R5#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 17-Aug-10 09:00 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Rack1R5 uptime is 4 hours, 9 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T14.bin"

Thanks,

Edwin

Comments

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

In this lab requirements, it tells us to enable OER to control routes in the network domain ... Ok, simple enough. That was already done in the previous task with the mode route control command and then I look on the solutions guide, under the oer-map 10, it has set mode route observe. Why does this command needed for this task, especially when observe mode doesn't control routes. It just "observes" them...

Also, I configured the BGP route-metric local-pref to 6000 on the Master, but the BGP routes' LP manipulated by OER is stil showing up with the default of 5000. Any ideas of why it is doing that? Possibly an IOS bug...?

Hi A.D.

You are correct. The mode should be control, as to the first bullet-point.

For the BGP local-pref, did you clear bgp, so that the new setting can take affect?

• Thanks for your reply JoeM.

Cool. Since the mode route control was configured globally in the previous task, the OER-MAP 10 to set the route mode isn't even needed at all in this lab. Am I correct?

No, I didn't clear bgp and that's probably exactly what it is! I'll run through this lab again and try that... Thanks man!

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

OER 10   ....observe should be changed to control.

The first bullet-point explicitly points to mode route control (not observe)

• Enable OER to control routes in the network domain.

I quickly went back over the previous OER tasks, and I do not see  mode route control  being  set on R5.   Where do you see this?

I would just make sure that you are using control on all of the routes.   Then notice any changes in how it is working.   This is just a lesson for the control and verify stages.

• My bad. I re-read the previous task and it doesn't tell you to enable route control. I gues I just assumed they wanted me to, Lol... 

One last thing... Why would you enable route control under the oer-map and not globally? I thought that applying things under the oer-map were for specific traffic classes and globally would apply to all traffic classes? In this task, it would make more since to enable it globally, that way OER controls all routes in the network. That's what I did and it worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Also, thanks for the additional debugs. When I was originally trying to figure out what that timer was, I did some debugs, but I didn't notice the PDP...

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I am not positive about the oer-map vs setting it globally.     My immediate thought, is that it is just two ways to set it.

Glad the debugs helped.   It helped clear up a lot of it for me too.