My lab experience

I wish I could say I passed, but my lab yesterday wasn't anything I was expecting. Sure, all the topics were there, but it was much much different than I expected. I spent too much time focusing on things that didn't matter in the end when I should have been drinking heavily and thinking of really off the wall ways to link multiple things together and then learning how to do those.

I'm not bitter. I am a much better voice engineer today because of my preperations. I can do all of INE's without problem, but I didn't dive into certain things deep enough on my own and never would have imagined those were the kinds of things Cisco would test you on.

Anyway, time for me to head home and re-evaluate my goals. Try to push and beat the collab change or wait and just start on Collbaoration in February? I thought it would be an easy decision, but after seeing this lab, I'm not sure what to expect on my second attempt.

Comments

• Hi Justin,

Sorry to hear that.  Do you feel that coming away from this attempt gives you a better idea on how you would prepare for a second attempt (i.e. where you can focus more of your time and energy)?

Jason

• Do you think the blueprint is still a good list or did you feel your lab went very details on only a few topics. I don't want to violate any NDA stuff here but would like to better understand how the blueprint aligned with your experience. 

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone. Any typos are the result of its intelligence and not mine. 

On Oct 30, 2013, at 3:25 PM, deleon <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Justin,

Sorry to hear that.  Do you feel that coming away from this attempt gives you a better idea on how you would prepare for a second attempt (i.e. where you can focus more of your time and energy)?

Jason

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Was this your first attempt ?

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of jgmitchell
    Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:35 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: [CCIE Voice General] My lab experience

I wish I could say I passed, but my lab yesterday wasn't anything I was expecting. Sure, all the topics were there, but it was much much different than I expected. I spent too much time focusing on things that didn't matter in the end when I should have been drinking heavily and thinking of really off the wall ways to link multiple things together and then learning how to do those.

I'm not bitter. I am a much better voice engineer today because of my preperations. I can do all of INE's without problem, but I didn't dive into certain things deep enough on my own and never would have imagined those were the kinds of things Cisco would test you on.

Anyway, time for me to head home and re-evaluate my goals. Try to push and beat the collab change or wait and just start on Collbaoration in February? I thought it would be an easy decision, but after seeing this lab, I'm not sure what to expect on my second attempt.

• It's pretty much a test of "trick shots" at this point.  Off the wall stuff that if you hadn't done before you wouldn't have a clue how to do it. 

• Hi all,

I wish I could say how I would spend my time preparing. If I knew a second exam would be the same as the first I would practice linking multiple technologies together. I'm not sure how to explain it without breaking NDA. I felt most of the exam was pretty basic stuff and things that should be second nature by the time you get to the exam. The inherent troubleshooting was not difficult from what I could tell. I didn't find any real gotchas during the exam like I did during my R/S exams, like if you're not examing every line of config you're going to miss something big.

The parts that got me I just wasn't prepared for due to their complexity and linking of different areas. I can see how people fail by misconfiguring a single section. In my exam there was quite a bit of interlinking. I know this is to be expected, but it seemed rather excessive to me.

Not to excuse my failure or lack of preparation, but I had several things going on in my personal and professional life that kept me from studying as much as I could have. Traveled most of September for work so when I was home on the weekends, I wanted to spend time with my family. Developed a painful nerve issue during the same time that made it extremely difficult to focus on anything for a few weeks until I found out what it is and got medication that helped. I also bought a house unexpectedly, closed on it and moved in the day after I got back from my exam. All things I don't recommend anyone do during their studies if they can help it.

At this time, I plan to give myself some time off from my studies as I have other goals I would rather focus on and I don't want to ruin my holidays by studying for an exam in January (if there are even any slots left). I am going to prepare for the collaboration exam and try to take it in a year or so once I can get upgraded phones and maybe even build my own rack at home to study.

I wish you all the best and hope your exams are not as dumb as mine was. I understand the exam and that it is not meant to be easy or real world, but that was so off base of what a voice exam should be in my opinion. But who knows, maybe I am/was just one of the worst prepared candidates ever.

Peace,
    Justin

• I definitely agree with you on this afoster. Yes, it was all from the blueprint, but it was a bit ridiculous the things they ask you to do.

• This was my first attempt and I didn't necessarily expect to pass. I just thought I would be much closer and feel better about my attempt/prep than I do.

• Hi Justin
    Thanks for your detailed post! I've not taken the exam yet, but your comments (as well as others) are helping me to better prepare or approach the exam.

Personally, I've been pushing hard on my studying that it's probably affecting my health and personal life.  I know what you mean about ruining the holidays with studying.  I've already warned my family that my exam prep will consume me for the next 3 months.  At the same time, I'm trying not to get burned out (or worse get a heart attack).

Jason

• I know those feelings. This time I made sure to keep my health up by exercising on a regular basis. Exercise is also good for your brain. =)

You also have to make sure you do things that aren't study related. I used to take Saturday off and do things with my family.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM, deleon <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Justin
    Thanks for your detailed post! I've not taken the exam yet, but your comments (as well as others) are helping me to better prepare or approach the exam.

Personally, I've been pushing hard on my studying that it's probably affecting my health and personal life.  I know what you mean about ruining the holidays with studying.  I've warned my family that my exam prep will consume me for the next 3 months.  At the same time, I'm trying not to get burned out (or worse get a heart attack).

Jason

• Keep your head up Mitchell its a tough test.