me3400?

Hi Folks,

In terms of learning basic metroe, is the standard me3400 worthwhile, or is it about as useful as the 1900s are for the SWITCH exam?  I'm not speaking about any specific cert here, really.  I just need to get *a lot* more experience with the me switches, and simply can't afford to spend several thousand dollars on me3600s, etc, so I'm hoping that the 3400s (not 3400e) aren't entirely useless since I might be able to scrape up enough cash to buy a few of them on ebay.

I haven't found any rental racks that feature multiple metroe switches, but if anyone knows about something I've missed, please LMK.  I know that the INE racks have a single me3400, but using a single 3400 to learn metroe seems a lot like learning spanning tree with a single L2 switch.

Comments

• Do you have access to Cisco Gold labs? They have several labs that have 3400/3600 switches along with 7600s in Metro-E labs. 

• Not unless I can purchase access outright.  We have no status with cisco at all at this point, let alone partner - pretty sure even smartnet has expired on all of our gear.

• Doesn't seem like it - everything I click on takes me to a PEC login page, and the "help" option there takes me to an "unavailable" page.  Shame.  I'd have no problem dropping money on "tokens" or whatever.  All their generally available SP stuff seems to still be old CCIP material.  Maybe this is all a waste of time, and I should focus on XR for a while, and insist that I'm sent to actual OMFG training for metroe if we want to sell it in some god awful horrible hackish way.

• In terms of learning basic metroe, is the standard me3400 worthwhile, or is it about as useful as the 1900s are for the SWITCH exam?  I'm not speaking about any specific cert here, really.  I just need to get *a lot* more experience with the me switches, and simply can't afford to spend several thousand dollars on me3600s, etc, so I'm hoping that the 3400s (not 3400e) aren't entirely useless since I might be able to scrape up enough cash to buy a few of them on ebay.

The 3400 will get you most of what what you need in terms of Cisco MetroE (REP, UNI, NNI, CFM, Ethernet OAM, etc).  What you won't have that the 3600 does have is more of the MPLS features.  I believe the 3600 can also do EVC configuration mode...   Best to consult the features you on both platforms and evaluate what you want to work on.

-v10d

• Awesome, thanks!

My main goal is simply to become familiar enough with cisco's metroe config to be able to pass the CCNP SP, my secondary goal is to be able to provide service for potential customers for the small SP I work for.  The L2 and L3 MPLS stuff can mostly be done with GNS3, and the XR stuff can be done with INE racks and CCIE SP workbooks.  Hopefully at least :-)  The biggest stumbling block right now is metroe, which I have zero config experience with, and is apparently a large part of the SPEDGE exam.

• Actually, I guess most of it is "describe" material.  Regardless, I tend to be better at describing things that I understand well enough to implement and troubleshoot.

Carrier Ethernet  in Service Provider IP NGN Environments

• Describe Carrier Ethernet forums and standards (MEF, IEEE, IETF)
    • Describe the concepts of User PE (U-PE) and Network PE (N-PE)
    • Describe E-Line versus E-LAN vs E-Tree
    • Describe QinQ tunneling 
    • Describe Provider Backbone Bridge (PBB - aka MAC-in-MAC)
    • Describe VPWS versus VPLS 
    • Describe VPLS versus H-VPLS
    • Describe VPLS signaling using LDP or BGP
    • Implement QinQ on Cisco ME  3400 Ethernet Access Switches
    • Implement VPLS on Cisco IOS-XR and IOS-XE

• Describe Carrier Ethernet forums and standards (MEF, IEEE, IETF)
    Describe the concepts of User PE (U-PE) and Network PE (N-PE)
    Describe E-Line versus E-LAN vs E-Tree
    Describe QinQ tunneling 
    Describe Provider Backbone Bridge (PBB - aka MAC-in-MAC)
    Describe VPWS versus VPLS 
    Describe VPLS versus H-VPLS
    Describe VPLS signaling using LDP or BGP
    Implement QinQ on Cisco ME  3400 Ethernet Access Switches
    Implement VPLS on Cisco IOS-XR and IOS-XE

A lot of the above you will not find on the ME3400.  I believe that the 3600/3800 is more geared for VPLS/H-VPLS with a license, but that's certainly supported in the IOS-XE based ASR9xx.  I think if you want to cover everything above you'll need at least a 3600, and a 903 (IOS VPLS, etc) and 9K for XR.  While the 12K runs XR the platform of choice for the entry level XR now seems to be the 9K.  The ASR9001-S seems to be a very attractive entry point for deploying XR in your networks....

-v10d

• Thanks folks.  I found some rack rental options - googling "me3400 rack rental" works.  Whoda think?  I'm going to give them a shot before dropping a couple grand on lab stuff for an NP level cert.