MMOH broken

Has anyone seen this? Know how to resolve it?

IP: s=177.1.11.52 (FastEthernet0/0.11), d=239.1.1.1, len 32, enqueue feature, TCP Adjust MSS(4), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE
pak 48B9C72C consumed in input feature , packet consumed, MCI Check(64), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE

My MMOH isn't working this afternoon and that is what I see when I do a debug. All signs say MMOH should be blasting out of my speaker, but it is not. :(

The internet doesn't really provide any useful information.

Comments

• So I don't have an answer for this, but this morning it seems to have resolved itself and my configuration is essentially the same as yesterday.

I'm trying to figure out, if this were to happen in the lab, what to do? I could look at resource usage in RTMT and sh ip mroute and Stream 1 on the phone web page and CONFIRM multicast MOH should have been playing, but there were no packets being sent or received. Unicast MOH worked just fine, but multicast was broken.

How deep will a proctor look to see if things are actually supposed to be working?

• Sadly I wouldn't expect them to dig too deeply to find a cause.  MAYBE if you're right on the cusp and this is a pass / fail type of event, they may...but I wouldn't expect too much diligence on their part.

One oddity I noticed in the first email is that the source IP was 177.3.11.52 and destination was the multicast address.  I'm assuming that was a join message, I didn't recognize the rest of the packet, but more info would be needed for me to be sure.

I see your date is coming up real soon.  My date is the following Monday.  Good luck to you, and share what you can about the experience (no NDA stuff).

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM, jgmitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

So I don't have an answer for this, but this morning it seems to have resolved itself and my configuration is essentially the same as yesterday.

I'm trying to figure out, if this were to happen in the lab, what to do? I could look at resource usage in RTMT and sh ip mroute and Stream 1 on the phone web page and CONFIRM multicast MOH should have been playing, but there were no packets being sent or received. Unicast MOH worked just fine, but multicast was broken.

How deep will a proctor look to see if things are actually supposed to be working?

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I think it was the join message and that is why the MOH never played, the packet wasn't making it where it needed to go so the phone wasn't joining the mcast group to received the moh.

I didn't a bunch of searches for parts of the output and never came up with a solution or cause. Most everything was related to VPN tunnels being improperly configured and/or ACL issues. Neither of which apply in my case. Ah such is life. This is the first time I have experienced that so I'm hoping it doesn't happen on grading day when the proctor reloads my stuff. :)

• Make sure your access VLAN and voice VLAN aren't set to the same value on your phone switchport. This will prevent the SPT from converging with the shared tree in PIM. 

Kind Regards,

Mark Snow, CCIE #14073
    (Data Center, Voice, Security)

On Oct 25, 2013, at 5:39, jgmitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

I think it was the join message and that is why the MOH never played, the packet wasn't making it where it needed to go so the phone wasn't joining the mcast group to received the moh.

I didn't a bunch of searches for parts of the output and never came up with a solution or cause. Most everything was related to VPN tunnels being improperly configured and/or ACL issues. Neither of which apply in my case. Ah such is life. This is the first time I have experienced that so I'm hoping it doesn't happen on grading day when the proctor reloads my stuff. :)

• So, this only happens in Lab 3 when using switchport voice vlan dot1p

logging output again (CorpHQ Phone 1 --> Subscriber MMOH)
    IP: s=177.1.11.101 (FastEthernet0/0.11), d=239.1.2.1, len 32, enqueue feature, TCP Adjust MSS(4), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE
    pak 47F1C5C4 consumed in input feature , packet consumed, MCI Check(64), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE

Interface details:
    CorpHQ(config)#do sh run int f0/0.10
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 147 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0.10
     description == Server VLAN 10
     encapsulation dot1Q 10
     ip address 177.1.10.1 255.255.255.0
     ip pim dense-mode
    end

CorpHQ(config)#do sh run int f0/0.11

Current configuration : 146 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0.11
     description == Voice VLAN 11
     encapsulation dot1Q 11
     ip address 177.1.11.1 255.255.255.0
     ip pim dense-mode
    end

CorpHQ-Switch(config-if-range)#do sh run int f0/10

Current configuration : 177 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
     description == L2VPN - Corp HQ Phone1
     switchport access vlan 11
     switchport mode access
     switchport voice vlan dot1p
     spanning-tree portfast
    end

IP mroute on R1
    (*, 239.1.2.1), 00:35:40/stopped, RP 0.0.0.0, flags: DC
      Incoming interface: Null, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
      Outgoing interface list:
        FastEthernet0/0.11, Forward/Dense, 00:10:29/00:00:00

(177.1.10.20, 239.1.2.1), 00:11:40/00:02:50, flags: T
      Incoming interface: FastEthernet0/0.10, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
      Outgoing interface list:

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something simple? Is there anything I can look at? As far as I can tell it should be working.  I double checked my configs using DiffMerge against your final configurations and there isn't any difference aside from the things I haven't configured yet.

This is making me feel bad about myself and I only have 2 days left before my exam. :(

• just for grins...did you try to disable igmp snooping?  I don't know what your switch is for your HQ.  If it's a ESW or a 3550, it may be an IGMP issue.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM, jgmitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

So, this only happens in Lab 3 when using switchport voice vlan dot1p

logging output again (CorpHQ Phone 1 --> Subscriber MMOH)
    IP: s=177.1.11.101 (FastEthernet0/0.11), d=239.1.2.1, len 32, enqueue feature, TCP Adjust MSS(4), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE

pak 47F1C5C4 consumed in input feature , packet consumed, MCI Check(64), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0, fwdchk FALSE

Interface details:
    CorpHQ(config)#do sh run int f0/0.10

Current configuration : 147 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0.10
     description == Server VLAN 10
     encapsulation dot1Q 10

ip address 177.1.10.1 255.255.255.0
     ip pim dense-mode
    end

CorpHQ(config)#do sh run int f0/0.11

Current configuration : 146 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0.11
     description == Voice VLAN 11

encapsulation dot1Q 11
     ip address 177.1.11.1 255.255.255.0
     ip pim dense-mode
    end

CorpHQ-Switch(config-if-range)#do sh run int f0/10

Current configuration : 177 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
     description == L2VPN - Corp HQ Phone1
     switchport access vlan 11

switchport mode access
     switchport voice vlan dot1p
     spanning-tree portfast
    end

IP mroute on R1
    (*, 239.1.2.1), 00:35:40/stopped, RP 0.0.0.0, flags: DC
      Incoming interface: Null, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
      Outgoing interface list:

(177.1.10.20, 239.1.2.1), 00:11:40/00:02:50, flags: T
      Incoming interface: FastEthernet0/0.10, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
      Outgoing interface list:

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something simple? Is there anything I can look at? As far as I can tell it should be working.  I double checked my configs using DiffMerge against your final configurations and there isn't any difference aside from the things I haven't configured yet.

This is making me feel bad about myself and I only have 2 days left before my exam. :(

• I did try that on CorpHQ and Branch1.

Unicast works, but that's not what is required. Multicast MOH plays out to the PSTN from CorpHQ.

Branch1 doesn't work either though... To phone or PSTN.

Branch2 works to the phones and PSTN.

It's just weird because I haven't had this problem with any other lab or configurations. I know it is the dot1p on the switchport, if I get rid of the switch voice vlan dot1p command it works. I think this lab just hates me and Mark is devious. I watched the solution videos for the switchport config and MOH configs just to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid, but no luck.

• I would start by saying done let this one thing derail u mentally. 

If by some twist of devilish fate you do run into this one bit of minutia on the lab, and to say that's minuscule is probably an understatement, weigh which one is more points, the qos or moh.  If it's moh, set it for dot1q :)

In all honesty, I look at that config and don't see any issues.  Since you compare it to the finals and it matches, I would expect a bug. 

Rental rack or home lab?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 27, 2013, at 12:21 PM, jgmitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

I did try that on CorpHQ and Branch1.

Unicast works, but that's not what is required. Multicast MOH plays out to the PSTN from CorpHQ.

Branch1 doesn't work either though... To phone or PSTN.

Branch2 works to the phones and PSTN.

It's just weird because I haven't had this problem with any other lab or configurations. I know it is the dot1p on the switchport, if I get rid of the switch voice vlan dot1p command it works. I think this lab just hates me and Mark is devious. I watched the solution videos for the switchport config and MOH configs just to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid, but no luck.

• If I ran into this in the lab, I would just ignore it and go on. I would configure it and test it, but that is it and if it didn't work after a couple of minutes, I'm not going to spend mental energy on it. I spent too much tim eon this the other day and today trying to figure it out. I've done what I can. I can look at all the tools and show that it should be playing music on hold, but the router eats it.

This is a rental rack. So nothing I can change.