Lab equipment question

Hi,

As there are rumors about the change in version CCIE R&S, Should i buy 1841 for the lab or wait untill the announcement for the new version. I am not sure if these routers will be used in the newer version. I have few 2651XM for the lab and thought will add two or three 1841 for the workbooks topology. I have few 1811 though, but the problem is that they dont have serial ports. I am planning to use 1811 for BBs.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Murad

Comments

• I would wait.  Sounds like the announcement is imminent (November time is expected).  Another handy release that should help with v5 being a much larger topology and using new code is Cisco VIRL (Virtual Internet Routing Lab) which I understand will be free.  This is a vritual tool much like GNS3 but developed by Cisco and will support switching architectures as well as Routing.

I would practise on what kit you have currently available, use rentals or GNS3 until we know more about what is needed for v5.

Nick

• Hi,

As there are rumors about the change in version CCIE R&S, Should i buy 1841 for the lab or wait untill the announcement for the new version. I am not sure if these routers will be used in the newer version. I have few 2651XM for the lab and thought will add two or three 1841 for the workbooks topology. I have few 1811 though, but the problem is that they dont have serial ports. I am planning to use 1811 for BBs.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Murad

Hi Murad

Wait for Cisco announcement first then you decide if you are only going for v5 lab exam.

• Just for info:

I was watching the video regarding VIRL on youtube again and found one of the comments from a user which i copy here

"I was at Cisco Live and? saw this setup, the front end is running on a
    Mac, but it is connected to Cisco's "cloud" to do all of the heavy
    processing (each XR takes 4GB ram)...just like you can specify a remote
    hypervisor's IP address in GNS3 (say you are running it on Amazon's AWS)"

It seems that rumors about going for VIRL in CCIEv5 are not solid. Because if takes that much power it will be hard to run on standalone servers etc.

Just my 2C

Murad

• Hi Murad

Some more details for you on VIRL or Cisco Modeling Lab as it will be known:

http://blog.ipspace.net/2013/10/cisco-modeling-lab-virl-behind-scenes.html?m=1

Nick

• You can actually see quite a lot about what its likely to be by downloading a CSR 1000v and running it as a trial. With a reasonably sized host you can get a lab with plenty of routers up and running right now. The only thing you are missing is the switch emulation, so you will be reliant on VMware switches at the moment.

Another fairly telling thing is that virtualised routers are going to rely on the virtualised networking interfaces provided by the host - typically this will be Ethernet only. Another nail in the coffin for frame relay.

If I were looking to build a lab in the near future, I personally wouldn't be buying any real routers. The way things are going you won't need a rack full of equipment to practice your labs, just one host server and possibly some external switches. The only thing I would be buying right now is remote rack rental. Spend some time getting to know VMware if you don't already, you can setup a standalone host without any licenses required

• It seems that rumors about going for VIRL in CCIEv5 are not solid. Because if takes that much power it will be hard to run on standalone servers etc.

4GB is a lot to run multiple VMs on your laptop maybe, but that's nothing for modern servers. Typical servers have at least 128GB these days. XR seems to be reducing a little bit now too, more like 2.5GB. IOS-XE should run in much less. HP's VSR 1000 uses 1GB per router.

I know if I was Cisco I'd rather run it in a virtual environment - a couple of UCS blades would replace racks and racks of physical switches and routers.

• I just finished building my lab with 6 3725 running 12.4(15)t14 adventerprisek9. I know that this is the highest platform 3725 supports. I have access to newer routers and IOS 15 in most flavors. I bought what I bought knowing the update was coming. My feeling is the update will come and people that are aware of this will be able to jack the price of the equipment that can handle the newer IOS. As far as I know, IOS 15 you still need a license to run with, so my guess is Cisco is going to have to release an IOS version that doesn't need licensing or some other solution. I'm not paying for a license just to pass a test, the written and lab already cost enough, paying for a license to me is just Cisco getting money hungry. I think they'll release something, like VIRL so that exam takers will be able to practice the newer code. If you use GNS3 the 7200s support IOS 15 already so I am not worred. At least that's my understanding of how I will go about preparing for the lab. First I need to pass the CCNP, just passed Route so it makes sense to get CCNP and naturally transition into CCIE. I know I don't have to have a CCNP to get the CCIE but still, it helps knowing that I am gaining understanding from all of this labbing I'm doing.

HTH 

Rob

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

As far as I know, IOS 15 you still need a license to run with, so my guess is Cisco is going to have to release an IOS version that doesn't need licensing or some other solution. I'm not paying for a license just to pass a test, the written and lab already cost enough, paying for a license to me is just Cisco getting money hungry.

Say what?  Cisco should release a license-free IOS version for test-takers?  I'd really like to see where you derived this logic.

For what it's worth, Cisco has somewhat backtracked on their license requirements for IOS 15.  Platforms that ran older "unkeyed" code don't require a license, and there are ways to run IOS 15 without buying a specific license on a lot of other gear too.