UCM 8.6.1 ICMP Pings drops

Hi Experts , 

I am having a strange issue , i have UCM 8.6.1 running on vmaware 4.0 on UCS c210. and my pings are getting droped from core switch to UCM which is directly connected . I have around 800 phones in voice vlan . i am able to ping vmware esxi without any issue but to UCM PUB or SUB  or even to unity connection i am getting ping drops , due to which i am faing RTP issues between phones........UCM is in vlan 4 [ Server vlan ] and Phones are in Vlan 5 

Any one has any idea what could be the issue.

OUTPUT !!!1

CORE# ping 10.1.1.10 repeat 100

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.10, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!

!.!!!!!.!!!!!.

Success rate is 83 percent (70/84), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/8 ms

CORE # ping 10.1.1.145 repeat 100

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.145, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/20 ms

Comments

• Hello,

This is normal ICMP ping response from IOS to CUCM, the 6th response should be dot. If you ping from your PC or any other server it will show good. This is just because of ICMP rate limiting by UCOS (CUCM/UCxn/etc).

And you shouldn't have the quality issues on RTP between phones due to this ping drop, because RTP never passes through the CUCM - it's between phone to phone only. You might have some other network issues you need to find out and solve.

HTH.

• When you say RTP I assume you're talking about audio is failing of some sort? How did you determine that this is an RTP issue by pinging CUCM ?

Collect a trace and post it for review or look at the transcoding and transrating of calls see what the negotiating is occurring on. As well look at if certain resources are over-allocated or if you need an MTP for items such as h323 fast start.

Hope that helps

• RTP packet doesnt traverse CUCM when a call is established between phone A and B, so the issue you are having is either on network or phone side.

Are you able to reproduce the problem when two phones are connected on the same switch?