Using PPP to PPP for ATOM

Folks, came across this weird behaviour I dont get.  Anyone shed any light?

When I add in the xconn command and enter the xconnect sub menu the serial interface comes up. THen I exit out of that sub level and it drops. I delete the xconn config and the interface comes up. I enter xconnext again and it stays up until I exit out o xconnect level. Did it at different time intervals to see if it was coincidental to a timer. It isn't .Config is the same as 4.22 in the WB volume 1, I did try with a pseudowire class but have the same problem. Reloaded and commit replaced configs.

R2(config)#int s2/0
R2(config-if)#xconn 19.19.19.19 2 en mpls
R2(config-if-xconn)#no xconn 19.19.19.19 2 en mpls
R2(config-if)#
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/0, changed state to up
R2(config-if-xconn)#exi
R2(config-if)#
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/0, changed state to down
R2(config-if)#no xconn 19.19.19.19 2 en mpls
R2(config-if)#
R2(config-if-xconn)##wait 5 seconds
R2(config-if-xconn)#exi
R2(config-if)#
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/0, changed state to down
R2(config-if)#no xconn 19.19.19.19 2 en mpls
R2(config-if)#
R2(config-if-xconn)##wait 23 seconds
R2(config-if-xconn)#exi
R2(config-if)#
R2(config-if)#

R2(config-if)#do sho run in s2/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 148 bytes
!
interface Serial2/0
 no ip address
 encapsulation ppp
 serial restart-delay 0
 clock rate 2016000
 xconnect 19.19.19.19 2 encapsulation mpls

Comments

• The xconnect commands isnt really applied to the interface until you exit out of it for some reason, seen this behavior as well. Its not PPP-specific but xconnect-specific on at least IOS 12.2(33)SR

• Yeah I noticed TLDP wont come up if you never exit out on a successful session.

Any idea why the interface drops out?

• When you configure xconnect it will tunnel LCP to the other side as well, so the xconnect on the other side will need to be up. You will see LCP on the local serial interface change from Open to Closed, thats why the line proto bumps.