INEWB Dynamips in GNS3

HI friends,

Is it possible to setup the GNS3 based on the INE WBVol2 Dynamips provided ???

How to set up the switching part, in my understanding the GNS3 wont support swiches..

Appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks

rYs

Comments

• Hi,

GNS3 doesn't support for all the switching portion, you can skip the switching stuffs and simulate it only for layer three tasks. If you are planning to rent the rack in future, you can complete your remaining layer two task in the real rack provided by INE.

So, I recommend you to complete all the volume I layer 3 tasks, then rent the rack for Volume I layer 2 portion, Volume II, III and IV. Without having strong layer two understanding you probably wouldn't be able to completely understand layer 3 stuffs. So, in order to reach upto confidence level, you should have real rack for mock labs.

Hope this helps!

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Is it possible to setup the GNS3 based on the INE WBVol2 Dynamips provided ???

How to set up the switching part, in my understanding the GNS3 wont support swiches..

Yes, WB-2 is possible with GNS3.    In fact, INE has a separate (modified) workbook for use with gns3.

I recommend using the RelatityDrive-Unified setup (a couple of members packaged and separated all of the lab configs).   INE has even included the config files in the member section for WB-2 (Dynamips).  Just unzip/Extract the files. If your gns3 is installed correctly, you will be able to work right away.   BONUS:   Workbook-1 is included.

Main ISSUES with gns3:    The L2 specific technologies, Switch QoS, and Multicast issues suffer a lot using GNS3.    In order to improve studies in these areas, one might purchase real rack time, build a lab, or add switches to their gns3 setup.  (lots of instructions on the forum).

Main ADVANTAGES with gns3:   Most everything L3 and routing protocols.  Install it on a laptop and tinker for hours -- without worrying about time running out.   With this convenience, there really is no excuse for not being strong with routing protocols.

EDIT:  There is anther thing to think about.  How valuable is your time?   Sometimes, GNS3 setups/glitches or problems with Multicast reliability will take up hours of time/frustration.  Lab buildouts will take time also.   These are considerations for just using INE racks.

For the second part of your question, do a search on this forum.  There are many threads for how to add switches to your gns3 setup. 

For my personal situation (living outside the US,  added cost for equipment/transport), my decision has been to get a lot of tokens. I am getting ready to start using INE's racks again, to help reinforce the other studies I have done.   Again, primarily L2 QoS and Multicast are my biggest concerns.  But also, I want a more real environment for mock labs.

Best of luck on this.  Enjoy.

• I have used GNS3 for LAB2 without any problems. For sure you won't be able to do some L2 tasks that are not supported in GNS3, like PVLANs, etc. But I used my imagination and would create a different task. I was more interested in testing all the technologies together and understand L3 protocols, so it worked for me.

For the labs that were very heavy on L2, I did rack rentals. You can judge if a lab is heavy on l2, by looking at the points that each section is worth.