1.8 “Erase and reload SW1, SW2, SW3 & SW4, and load the Basic IP Addressing”

We are facing this warning after the task1.7, or should I say, before 1.8.

It is not referring to “delete flash: vlan.dat”.

Is it necessary to delete the existing vlans?

Or should I not to?

Comments

• You are going to play with VTP in the next few tasks so it is a good idea to delete the vlan.dat file as well.

• Great trivia from Latvia!

Thanks!

•  We are facing this warning after the task1.7, or should I say, before 1.8.

It is not referring to “delete flash: vlan.dat”.

Is it necessary to delete the existing vlans?

Or should I not to?

It works even if you don't delete them because you are not told for it explicitly but its always a good idea to delete vlan.dat & config.txt when staring new task.

• Hari.sapkota,

Appreciate your help.

"Be told" or "Not be told",
    that is the question.

• I originally deleted the vlan.dat file, but after getting impatient and not wanting to wait for the switches to reboot, when I did this exercise for the 2nd time, I just put all the switches in transparent mode and deleted vlans 2-146 with the "no vlan 2-146" command and it worked as well.

• AD,

Could you be more specific?
    Vlan 2-146?
    Is this abbreviation of 5,7,8,9,10,22,43,58,67,79,146?

• AD,

Could you be more specific?
    Vlan 2-146?
    Is this abbreviation of 5,7,8,9,10,22,43,58,67,79,146?

It means all the VLANs configured on the switch ranging from 2 to 146 will be deleted. It will contain all the VLAN numbers betwee 2 to 146.

Hope you got the point.

• Hi Sakamoto,

You could do a "no vlan 5,7,8,9,10,22,43,58,67,79,146" but that takes too long to type it out. By putting "no vlan 2-146," all VLANs with a VLAN ID between 2 - 146 will be deleted and that should give you a fresh, empty VLAN database.

*** Remember that VLANs 1 and 1002-1005 are on the switch by defualt and can't be deleted ***

• Guys, thanks.

I have never imagined that we candidate can adjust the task in our way.

My times and energy are haunted to meet their demands, strictly,
    even one miss-output would not be permitted, I thought.

But your ways sound like serves my resouces, it's worth a shot.

• I originally deleted the vlan.dat file, but after getting impatient and not wanting to wait for the switches to reboot, when I did this exercise for the 2nd time, I just put all the switches in transparent mode and deleted vlans 2-146 with the "no vlan 2-146" command and it worked as well.

With this approach you can't reset the VTP domain name. The only way to reset VTP domain name is by deleting the vlan.dat.

I use SecureCRT and use the option to send the same command to all active sessions. I reload, configure startup-configs like that, etc. Then it's no hassle. Reboot is anyway needed if you want to start  fresh- many times i find it faster to reboot than to manually erase the config i changed.

• You correct didziso.

Deleting the VLANs does not reset the VTP domain name, but since I put all the switches in transparent mode, I will not have any issues with VTP. Well, none that I've seen so far...

Depending on the size of the configs, rebooting the switches is in fact faster, but in this case, it's on a few lines of code...

• I usually do no vlan 1-999 when I want to wipe out all the VLANs on a switch.

• Deleting the VLANs does not reset the VTP domain name, but since I put all the switches in transparent mode, I will not have any issues with VTP.

Yes, of course. :) I'm taking into account the fact that OP is going to do some VTP exercises thus it's a good idea to delete the vlan.dat. Or, of course, you could check whether the VTP domain is NULL or not. Maybe it's enough to just delete all the vlans without touching the vlan.dat file.